shape
carat
color
clarity

Certification question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anthonyd

Rough_Rock
Okay, I have been harping on this topic on another forum, mainly because there seems to be a great deal of different opinions. I was dumbfounded when I was informed (on this board) that a diamond that I was considering may not be as great as I thought. It was certified by HRD as being cut "very good" (their highest score)

I posted all the information and numerous people told me that it in fact was a very poorly cut stone. It was no where in the Towolsky range, was not "AGS IDEAL" and recommended I don''t buy it. I was shocked, how can HRD grade it in the highest regard, and every other method gave it a poor score?

So I researched and posted and have not come to a straight answer yet. I looked up the HRD website and did some reading there. The website has their specs on cut listed but it is difficult to read, but another site I found had it listed more concisely. Please read and let me get your input:

http://www.diamonds.icestore.com.au/diamonds-diamond_information.htm

http://www.diamonds.icestore.com.au/diamonds%20-%20Ideal%20Cut.htm

On the first link please see the chart at the bottom. Are there any experts that can make sense of that?

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
The customers that really like HRD are generally not looking for top cutting. I don't mind HRD certs, but not when trying to find "Ideal-ish" type stones.
They rumored to be opening a lab in NY and they will most likely have a more conforming cut system to compete with EGL, GIA, AGS, etc.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The person who dotted 'Tolkowsky' on that chart definitely did not make any sense of that chart. I have almost never used that HRD-chart, and I find it way too confusing.

All in all, proportion-grading with HRD has a top-grade, which is way too wide. But it is better than the current GIA, in which you can get an EX-EX while not even having Good in HRD.

If you only wish to rely on a lab-grade to see if your diamond is well-cut, the current AGS-system is even not good enough to our taste (that of most regulars here). The future AGS-system (beginning of next year) will probably be the first system, that meets our approval.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results