shape
carat
color
clarity

Certification question- EGL and GIA confusion

lotusflowerom

Rough_Rock
Hello. I have been reading some of the posts about certifications and am just getting familiar with the certifications. I am still confused and wanted to pose a few questions that I am hoping can be answered.

-I am looking at two rings that in general I believe are overpriced (partly due to the location). Both are antique vintage rings. I was under the impression that EGL certified rings, should be much lower in cost than GIA, but both of these rings seem high priced for size, color, certification. The jeweler seems like a kind and trustful person that graduated from GIA, but I am having doubt because it is EGL USA certified and the cost seems very high.

Ring number 1:

1.01 ct
Old European
EGL USA
F
SI2
$8500

Ring number 2:
2.09 ct.
Old Cushion cut
EGL USA
I
VS2
$17k

-I am by no means an expert, but on ring # 1, there seem to be a lot of inclusions although the lightness of the ring. On ring #2, the color looks more like a K or an L, as there is a noticeable yellow hue. While I don't mind the warmth (after all it is a vintage stone), I feel like it is marked up too high and question the grading.

-Lastly, is there a happy medium between EGL and GIA?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
a lot of the vintage stones come with EGL reports. You can always ask the jeweler to send to GIA.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lotusflowerom|1308668915|2951017 said:
- I don't know the jeweler that I am looking at rings from and am not sure if I should be more trustful of the person selling me the ring or the fact that it is EGL certified. I should mention that the jeweler is a graduate from GIA.
You've already decided that the grading the dealer is asking you to rely on is incorrect. Don't just hold that against the lab, hold it against the dealer.

GIA certifies nothing. Not diamonds, not gemologists, not even their own employees. Graduating from GIA is a good thing, but it does not make someone a capable gemologist and it certainly doesn't make them a trustworthy merchant. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but GIA credentials have nothing to do with it. You are placing your trust in the jewler. The lab is reinforcing or undermining this trust, not replacing it. That's your decision to make but it's whether you want to rely on the jeweler and their advice, not about GIA or even EGL.

I'm not sure what happy medium you're looking for. A reliable lab that works cheaper? Possibly, but GIA's fees are actually pretty reasonable. For stones like this they charge $100 and EGL-USA charges about $75 so the lab fees account for about $25 of the price difference you're seeing. The rest is in other things, mostly the grading standards that you're observing. It's a BIG deal and again, if your dealer didn't tell you this and you think they're misleading you, don't just hold it against EGL, hold it against the dealer.

DiamondJeweler

Rough_Rock
The difference between GIA and EGL USA should be approximately 20-30%, depending on the size and grade of the stone. GIA graduation is completely different from a real GIA certificate and so if that is your concern, you are absolutely right.

A nice medium between GIA and EGL USA is IGI. IGI are considered almost on par with GIA throughout Europe and in Australia. Their stones will trade at approximately 10% lower than GIA. Regarding the prices you received for the rings, they do indeed seem rather pricey, especially for EGL. A dealer closer to the source or a diamond cutter would be able to offer the same stones with GIA certification at less than the prices you have been quoted.

For example, I know it is possible to get a 2.00 carat I/VS2 with GIA cushion cut diamond for around $14,000-$15,000
Good Luck!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others. I've run across some very sketchy GIA grads, all them very friendly, most of them not any more knowledable than I am, which isn't saying alot! :lol: I was mortfied at some of the misinformation that was given to me by some (not all) of them. It's great that your being proactive and educating yourself before making such a large and personal purchase! Have you checked with some of the PS vendors to compare prices? Both stones seem to be a bit pricey to me. GOG has an amazing AVC!! :love: :lickout:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
One suggestion is to ask to have the stones sent to GIA and pay the 100 so you feel you get a second opinion and grading on turnstone. Don't be afraid to shop around. Jewels by Erica Grace sells lots if vintage rings/stones check them out as well.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to second GOG and their amazing AVCs!!! I drool over them all the time!!

lotusflowerom

Rough_Rock
Thank you for this feedback. It is greatly appreciated. There is a lot to consider when buying a diamond. I am thinking that it is also priced so high because of the location (high rent). I am going to see if he is will allow me to get it GIA certified and will continue to look around.

I specifically want a vintage ring, so hopefully this won't be too difficult to find. Does anyone have any great suggestions in the LA/Orange County region?

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
lotusflowerom|1308759505|2952000 said:
Thank you for this feedback. It is greatly appreciated. There is a lot to consider when buying a diamond. I am thinking that it is also priced so high because of the location (high rent). I am going to see if he is will allow me to get it GIA certified and will continue to look around.

I specifically want a vintage ring, so hopefully this won't be too difficult to find. Does anyone have any great suggestions in the LA/Orange County region?

In LA, try Single Stone (in the jewelry district downtown and a storefront in San Marino), Wanna Buy a Watch (if I recall they are in Weho) and JbEG also has a location in LA. Not a storefront but call and she can help. We used JbEG. Can't go wrong with those ladies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results