shape
carat
color
clarity

certificate question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dave_eire

Rough_Rock
hi guys!

please excuse my ignorance as i am new to all this!

my query is: how do you know that a certificate belongs to a specific diamond?? i read somewhere that some have lazer inscriptions, do they all? if not how do you know.

thanks for you time.

daveh

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
On the cert, it should identify any laser inscriptions that are present. Look at a White Flash A Cut Above cert for an example.

Not all certs have inscriptions

Everyone recommends using an independent appraiser to verify the diamond matches the cert. I think it's easy to compare the inclusions between the cert and the diamond.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
First we check all the measurements and then compare the plot and make sure the plotted inclusions match the stone. Then the color grade is determined using our AGS diamond master set, necessary to operate as an ICGA lab.
We have seen certificates that don't match. This is usually a 'bookeeping'/quality control error somewhere along the way. Either on the retail front or the suppliers.
So, it is a very good idea to have it verified. Also, it is good to get a second opinion on the grading to make sure it is a good solid grade and you are getting exactly what you believe. Mistakes do happen and we have found them along the way. Always best to discover this at the point of purchase and not years down the road. We had an H AGS stone come in and we called it a hands down F (2 CGA's checked it). So, it can go both ways. Good to get a totally unbiased opinion from a well trained and qualified appraiser. Cindy

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Cindy,

You wrote: "Also, it is good to get a second opinion on the grading...." sounds like, with respect to your training as a gemologist, you see grading as synomous more narrowly with color grading.

How do YOU feel about it being the appraiser's job to assist in the cut analysis of a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results