shape
carat
color
clarity

Center stone size on a 3 stone

Rexroxs

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am looking to get a 3 stone ring set in Brian Gavins Truth x3 setting. My ring size is a 3.75. I am trying to decide between a 1.5 center and .25 sides or a 1.22 center with .25 sides. Any suggestions? I don't want it to overwhelm my hand and will wear it everyday. Thanks for any advice!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have BG take some comparison pics and see what combo appeals to your eye proportion-wise. And remember DSS sets in pretty quickly... :naughty:

Rexroxs

Rough_Rock
That's a great idea! This morning I'm leaning toward the 1.5 because the thought of dss! I just want the proportions to look good. I've been looking through all the 3 stone ring threads and haven't found any with those exact proportions. I also went too B&M store and I think I liked the 1.25 with .25 settings but I think the 1.5 had .4 side stones and the whole thing was wider than my 3.75 finger but I think that was the setting too.

Thanks so much for the reply, my husband is tired of talking about it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rexroxs|1375534252|3495879 said:
That's a great idea! This morning I'm leaning toward the 1.5 because the thought of dss! I just want the proportions to look good. I've been looking through all the 3 stone ring threads and haven't found any with those exact proportions. I also went to B&M store and I think I liked the 1.25 with .25 settings but I think the 1.5 had .4 side stones and the whole thing was wider than my 3.75 finger but I think that was the setting too.

Thanks so much for the reply, my husband is tired of talking about it.

When you compare the three stone options, don't worry so much about the carat weight as the diameter of the stones. This is what your eye is going to see when looking at the proportions. A diamond can face up smaller or larger than the standard diameter of an excellent cut stone.

Rexroxs

Rough_Rock
That's a good point, with the 1.5 center stone the total width is 15.4, with the 1.25 it is 15. I think a 3.75 ring size is about 14.7 mm in diameter.....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rexroxs|1375558053|3496050 said:
That's a good point, with the 1.5 center stone the total width is 15.4, with the 1.25 it is 15. I think a 3.75 ring size is about 14.7 mm in diameter.....

Compare the diameter of the center stone to the side stones and see what percentage you prefer. Here is a thread (and photo) dedicated to that very thing. =) I prefer the 62% proportion (I like the middle stone to be the star!) ;))

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ct-proportions-for-a-three-stone-ring.131187/
3stone_ratios.png

Hope this helps!! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it really depends what look you're going for... a true 3-stone is like a 2:1 ratio (think Tiffany & Co.), but I've seen several Edwardian style rings that had three stones in very similar, if not the same, sizes. Do you want the sidestones to serve as "accent stones" or play a bigger role?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rexroxs|1375558053|3496050 said:

Yes, it's also a good idea to see how much "real estate" your finger will allow. :bigsmile:

Rexroxs

Rough_Rock
I think I like the 62% for overall proportions with the center being the star. Very helpful info-thank you! I really think I'd like the 1.5 with .25 sides IF it doesn't run over the sides of my finger.....

blondie~

Rough_Rock
I was a girl who married without a diamond ring. Almost 20 yrs later my wonderful hubby gave me a special gift. Initially I wanted a 3 stone ring (symbolizing past, present, future) with diamonds all the same size, color, everything. My jeweller said having the centre stone slightly larger would be visually more pleasing. I think she was right. It took a long time to find such close matching stones. I thought I wanted larger stones yet these sat well on top of my stubby finger without smooshing into my adjacent fingers. I wear a size 6.5. Per the GIAs, color grade is G x3; centre =1.11, sides=1.03 & 1.01; VS1 centre VS2 sides; cut grade= excellent (we saw H&As x3); excellent polish & symmetry x3. I had the GIA#s inscribed. I know my jeweller well; I praise their designs and workmanship (I dont know if it's proper here to say who). It's in platinum and white gold. I apologize for pic quality (& work-worn ugly fingers):

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rexroxs|1375578660|3496190 said:
I think I like the 62% for overall proportions with the center being the star. Very helpful info-thank you! I really think I'd like the 1.5 with .25 sides IF it doesn't run over the sides of my finger.....

I totally wish I had this problem, Rex!! :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blondie~|1375645886|3496520 said:
...color grade is G x3; centre =1.11, sides=1.03 & 1.01; VS1 centre VS2 sides; cut grade= excellent (we saw H&As x3); excellent polish & symmetry x3.

Very pretty, blondie!! Whenever I see a three stone with very similar diamonds, it makes me think of Madonna's ering from Guy Ritchie. Definitely makes a statement! :love:

blondie~

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Yes, I remember her ring.

I need to learn how to take better pics of my jewelry to post on this forum. Some of the photos here are exquisite.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: Re. the earlier discussion - I personally wouldn't put too much emphasis on horizontal (side-to-side, vs. lengthwise palm-to-tip down the finger, I mean) coverage by these numbers - the length (palm-to-tip) differences are IMO more important because they're what you see right away, but horizontal (side-to-side) coverage depends on how much the sidestones tuck under the center, how angled the sidestones sit (how closely to parallel the girdle planes match the curve of the finger), how high the stones are set (setting them higher would reduce the curve of the arc they make relative to the curve of the finger itself - easier to fit more stones in without them getting in the way of adjacent fingers)... The setting really can make or break pretty much any combo, I think :sun:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 1.5 with .25 sides combination. It is the most classic to me and the most "engagementy." They'll be able to make it fit across your finger.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt you will regret the 1.5 center.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results