shape
carat
color
clarity

cavity in a diamond, is it Ok

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamonddee

Rough_Rock
I am looking for help from the experts. My husband and I are about to purchase a 3 stone diamond ring. It has 1.75 ct tw. The center stone is 1.01 ct. Set in platinum. The problem is that the center stone has a cavity close to where the progs are. The ring is appraised for $7,000 . We are purchasing it for $4,700 on sale. I am concerned about the cavity. I have never heard of this term before. I cant see any visible holes. It comes with a GIA cert. color-H, clarity- SI2. What do you think?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert but let me ask you something If the ring was really worth 7k why would they sell it to you for $4700?
Who did the appraisal? An independent appraiser or did they do it themselves? or their buddies down the block?
To be honest I haven’t been impressed by any 3 diamond ring that I have seen in a b&m they just seem to throw the worst diamonds in them and expect the customer to be wowed by the special lights and 3 diamonds and the tcw number.

diamonddee

Rough_Rock
This ring comes with the GIA certificate the appraisal on the certificate says $7145. We got the discount because we were bagaining, and the fact that it has a cavity. I did not finalize the deal because I wanted more information about the cavity.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA does not do appraisals......

Something's a little off. Pass on this 'great deal'.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara is correct GIA does not do appraisals.

The point I’m trying to get across is that an appraisal that is not done by someone working for you with the clear understanding that the number you want is either b&m or internet out the door price isn’t worth the paper it is printed on when it comes to deciding if the purchase price is fair.
On top of that the person has to have the training and tools and the knowledge to do the job right.
This thread has some information on what to look for:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-have-a-certed-diamond-appraised.10662/

9999 times out of a ten thousand if a diamond sales person starts talking about how it is appraised for x amount over the price they want its time to protect your wallet because your being taken.

My question remains if the ring is truly worth 7k why would he sell it to you for $4700?
If the $7000 doesn’t already take into account the cavity then what does that say about the appraisal and the appraiser?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That price is quite low, but not out of this world. You can probably match it with an online purchase. The ring seems to come with some question marks and o serious specification of quality: all these factored in, it may not be a bargain at all. "Last turkey?" I definitely stand behind that appraisal
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just a consumer but I am surprised about all this danger with a cavity. My understanding was that a cavity was really a hole where a crystal or something had fallen out or else a hole shaped by the growth of the diamond and so was not liable to get any worse. I thought a cavity was sealed by the crystal structure unlike a feather which is a crack in the crystal structure. Could one of the experts comment. I am probably wrong though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results