shape
carat
color
clarity

Cathedral setting vs... not cathedral setting.

Loulala

Rough_Rock
So I have finally found an absolutely gorgeous 1.22ct D colour pear for my engagement ring :bigsmile: I'm going to have it set in a Victor Canera Emilya style setting. I would love to have him set it but sending the stone back and forth from the UK is just going to be too much hassle.

My jeweller is trying to get me to go for a cathedral setting saying is way, way more stable than without. It wasn't something I had initially considered, but I am quite hard on my jewellery. Any views on whether this is a good thing to do? Or is it all really down to personal preference?

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To my eye, rings without cathedrals look unfinished. If you're very hard on your jewelry, is a pave setting the right choice for you (cathedral or not)?

Loulala

Rough_Rock
I am ok with having to replace stones periodically - I just don't like the way other settings look unfortunately....

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend tried on a Cathedral setting vs a tapered setting and she likes the Cathedral setting more because it gives an illusion that make the stone look bigger.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want an emilya look, then no cathedral. Make sure you have the donut for stability (meaning a band wouldn't sit flush).

I personally prefer a cathedral, but the way the emilya is, it's not a peg head just plopped on. It's part of the entire band (hence the donut) and I think it looks fine, and would be strong enough.

That being said, is your jeweler competent enough to achieve this? Or is he going to make you a flying saucer peg head ring? There was recently another post about someone who wanted a VC and went to a local jeweler and was horrified at what they put out. After one or two remakes they were able to get something that sort of resembled what she wanted, but it still wasn't the same. Please keep this in mind when you are admiring a very high end vendor and going to a...less high end person to have it made.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a cathedral Emilya- my husband really preferred it with the shoulders so that was what I went with. Stability never entered my mind, but I assume VC knows what he's doing since the non-cathedral Emilya is the classic standard.

Loulala

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your replies. If ideas in the US I Would definitely just have it set by VC :((

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Loulala,

I don't have feelings on cathedral vs non, but I did just send Victor a stone from the UK and the whole process was pretty seamless and I had the finished ring in under four weeks-- let me know if you change your mind and want any tips.

Loulala

Rough_Rock
Hi Jaaron - I was hoping you would reply! How did it work with tax/duty etc? Did you buy extra insurance for the ring?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Oops - just replied to your other thread- think we must be on at the same time.

It was fine. The stone was covered during shipping and for the time it was with Victor by our homeowners/contents insurance. I emailed the relevant page from the policy to Victor. I sent it FedEx and added insurance to cover the stone--you don't really need to do that if it's already covered, but I figured shipping was the most dangerous part of the process and didn't really want to make a claim on the homeowner's if I could avoid it. It arrived in LA the next day and I had it back by FedEx in under four weeks. Victor insured it for the return journey.

The two things I would say are 1. Make sure you save your documentation for the outbound shipping and that you state on it that it's a repair on a previously owned stone. I had to produce that for customs when it came back to me. 2. Ask Victor to state on the return shipping that it's a repair on a previously owned centre stone.

The most complicated part of the process was FedEx/UK customs on the return. It took an extra day to get it through as they were somewhat confused. In the end, I did only end up paying VAT/customs on the cost of the setting, but it took a few phone calls.

Honestly? If you find a jeweler here that you feel confident with, go with them. Otherwise, I think it's worth the small hassle for a ring you love.

Loulala

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jaaron - I have contacted them to get the ball rolling

So I think the consensus is that a cathedral setting is nothing other than an aesthetic choice.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I save you a lot of time and money. NO one can make the emilya halo setting except Victor. Do NOT try to get your jeweler to replicate. You will not be happy with it. I've been down this road before, and took the advice of everyone here to just send it to Victor. Since then, I've seen at least 10 people who decided to work with a jeweler who said he could make a ring that looked just like the emilya halo. Half of them had to have the ring reworked and still weren't happy. The other half scrapped the setting and mailed their stone off to Victor. If you want the emilya, have Victor make it.

Loulala

Rough_Rock
Update - I just heard form Victor Canera himself that the cathedral does indeed make the ring stronger and less susceptible to damage if the head is hit from the side.

Loulala

Rough_Rock
soxfan - yes, much as I am loathe to deal with sending the stone backwards and forwards, I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and go with Victor.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loulala|1457456849|4001579 said:
soxfan - yes, much as I am loathe to deal with sending the stone backwards and forwards, I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and go with Victor.

Yay! you will love it! Can't wait to see your ring. I love pears.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results