color
clarity

Cartier 1895 or Harry Winston

mzcloud

Rough_Rock
I received a quote for a Cartier round 1895 at $58K
2.51 carat
H VS2 ex ex ex

Do you think this is a good price? There is no Harry Winston where I am, what will be the minimum starting price for a 2 carat from them?

Thanks

diamond-enthusiast

Rough_Rock
Good pricing is relative. You can easily get a larger (probably around 3 carats) diamond of similar specifications elsewhere for that kind of money. Since you are looking at branded goods, the price premium you are paying is about right.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mzcloud|1372039346|3471124 said:
I received a quote for a Cartier round 1895 at $58K
2.51 carat
H VS2 ex ex ex

Do you think this is a good price? There is no Harry Winston where I am, what will be the minimum starting price for a 2 carat from them?

Thanks

Do i ? No.

With that large a budget I would, if I were the one receiving the ring, expect more.

Find the stone yourself and have it set by a master bench and you'll get just as nice if not nicer quality and more diamond for the money.

Then buy her a Cartier hw wedding band. Best of both worlds.

I hate to see soooooo much money get you so little compared to other places.I mean you can get H si1 branded ideal cut quality stones at over 3ct for that price( and I only looked at Brian Gavin, no other place) , I mean and I don't even know how large you could get with regular gia XXX

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with Niel!!!! Seriously 60k?!?!? on a name????? That's just insane. Here's what you could get from our vendors which FYI are quite bigger than the one you asked about:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.828-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104065335002#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/3/

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/3.288-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-104063703001#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/3/

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.50-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-213711

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2938285.htm

Obviously they have plenty of other options, just using these as examples...

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Does your GF insist on Cartier or HW? I'm just saying, as I have already told this story several times on PS- when my group of friends got engaged one of them demanded a Tiff/ HW/ Cartier ring. She got it but carat-wise it was the smallest and least impressive though it cost the most money out of everyone's. It really really upset her when people would ask to look at someone's elses ring because it was more impressive then hers or if no one commented on it. You can't wear the box on her finger so unless she is really really hung up on the brand name and understands you could get a big diamond from elsewhere cheaper....

And 60k for a 2.5ct is crazy!!!!!!!! You could do it for 30k with better stats probably.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1372077821|3471239 said:
Does your GF insist on Cartier or HW? I'm just saying, as I have already told this story several times on PS- when my group of friends got engaged one of them demanded a Tiff/ HW/ Cartier ring. She got it but carat-wise it was the smallest and least impressive though it cost the most money out of everyone's. It really really upset her when people would ask to look at someone's elses ring because it was more impressive then hers or if no one commented on it. You can't wear the box on her finger so unless she is really really hung up on the brand name and understands you could get a big diamond from elsewhere cheaper....

And 60k for a 2.5ct is crazy!!!!!!!! You could do it for 30k with better stats probably.

+1

This!! Word for word. (even friend story is similar!! HA!) :bigsmile:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Everything the above posters have said is true. However, if you have oodles of money, or expect to have, I would personally love to have a 2.50 ct. ring from Cartier. In fact that would be my dream to have a ring from Cartier. Yes, you are paying for the brand, but the history associated with that name brings its own pleasure. You can buy a good auto for x $, but a porche, lamborgini, or masaratti is the dream car for a lot of people. It too costs a lot more.

Whatever you decide don't go below a vs2 in clarity. Good Luck and I know whatever you choose your girl will love it.

Annette

mzcloud

Rough_Rock
smitcompton|1372097879|3471425 said:
Hi,

Everything the above posters have said is true. However, if you have oodles of money, or expect to have, I would personally love to have a 2.50 ct. ring from Cartier. In fact that would be my dream to have a ring from Cartier. Yes, you are paying for the brand, but the history associated with that name brings its own pleasure. You can buy a good auto for x $, but a porche, lamborgini, or masaratti is the dream car for a lot of people. It too costs a lot more.

Whatever you decide don't go below a vs2 in clarity. Good Luck and I know whatever you choose your girl will love it.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that I will be able to buy a much nicer and larger diamond if I would to go with loose diamond.
Being a first time diamond buyer for the special someone, I feel a branded diamond is more reliable.

I refuse to purchase from an online retailer because I want to see the diamond first. Have also heard stories about retailers selling diamonds that are not what it says on GIA reports. I would be paying for a $50K diamond and given a $30K and wouldn't even know. Once I build my expertise, I would be going for loose diamonds of much higher quality.

Above are my main reasons to go with branded diamond by Cartier, HW, Chaumet or De Beers. Which one would be on top?

Michael

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Annette

A car is not a good comparison. Because you are actually getting more than just a name. You get a better engine and more high end additions to a car like that. You put a kia next to a Porsche and everyone will know which is better.

Put a regular non high end ring next to a Cartier and that doesn't happen. And frankly, depending on who you go with, the non Cartier one often looks better

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are looking for a reliable vendor? And of those you listed, you want help deciding which is the most reliable? So as of now, the marketing for any of these brands hasn't convinced you that one is more reliable than the other?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mzcloud|1372098395|3471428 said:
Hi,

Annette

Hi Annette,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that I will be able to buy a much nicer and larger diamond if I would to go with loose diamond.
Being a first time diamond buyer for the special someone, I feel a branded diamond is more reliable.

I refuse to purchase from an online retailer because I want to see the diamond first. Have also heard stories about retailers selling diamonds that are not what it says on GIA reports. I would be paying for a $50K diamond and given a $30K and wouldn't even know. Once I build my expertise, I would be going for loose diamonds of much higher quality.

Above are my main reasons to go with branded diamond by Cartier, HW, Chaumet or De Beers. Which one would be on top?

Michael

A brand name is not the same as a branded diamond. And a brand name does NOT equate to quality diamonds.
A lot of us were afraid of buying diamonds online at first but a well know large jeweler like Brian Gavin or Whiteflash will NOT screw you. And frankly I feel like you are getting taken advantage of much more at Cartier or places like that. They try and sell you the idea that Cartier means a good cut stone, that's not always true. Do your homework and get the best stone you can for your money, not the first stone you see in a fancy store window.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I, personally would choose Cartier. I wasn't telling a tale when I said its my dream to have a piece from Cartier. If you had said Tiffany, I probably wouldn't have replied. My 2nd choice would be HW. I would regard it as a true "treasure". It would bring tears to my eyes.

Annette

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is very important to understand that a brand name is not the same as a branded diamond. Branded diamonds are usually cut to the specific parameters of the brand, and then the best are hand-selected to be branded. The brand names don't do this with their diamonds afaik unless they offer a branded diamond line - the big brand names usually concentrate on high color/clarity as opposed to tight cut parameters. We don't have enough people buying Cartier or Harry Winston to know what types of diamonds they usually choose, but I know a lot of people buying Tiffany have been dissatisfied with the proportions of their diamonds and have had to hunt to find ones that have great proportions. I would suspect that Cartier and HW would choose better cut ones, but I have nothing to actually back that up.

I would also caution you to not believe in scare stories about online retailers. With any retailer, do your research, read reviews, find other people who bought from them and see how their experiences were. I'm sure you'll be fine with any of the big name brands, but you'll also be fine with any of the popular online companies like JA, BGD, WF, GOG, etc, where you can easily find hundreds of reviews on bunches of different websites from people who've bought from them.

With that said, my choice between the Cartier 1895 and the HW is the Cartier 1895. I personally like the style and my local Cartier has the nicest, best educated salespeople of any of the higher-end jewelry stores in my area, which makes it a pleasure to shop at.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Cartier will give you the stats (depth, crown angle etc.) for stones you might be considering.

Ask them to identify the available stones in your size or price range, come here with the stats, and we can help you pick the best of what Cartier has to offer.

ETA no guarantees that the input won't come with a mini-lecture! :wink2: BTW, I also think the 1895 is a beautiful setting.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Agreed.

Wasn't there a poster back a few weeks ago that wanted a Cartier or HW ring and it scored 4.9 on HCA!!!!!!!! Just because your dimaond is from a brand name store doesn't mean it is quality unfortuately. But hey if that is what you want to put your money on then so be it. Come back here with stats on the diamond beyound what you already posted (which doesn't really tell us anything), and let the experts say if it is good or not. Be prepared that we will always say you can do better elsewhere as PSers tend to be for quality/ cut vs. brand name. And this is coming from someone who owns several Cartier pieces. I do love my brand name Cartier, but if my DH wasted that kind of money on an inferior product you bet I would have hit the roof.

mzcloud

Rough_Rock
SB621|1372100588|3471450 said:
Agreed.

Wasn't there a poster back a few weeks ago that wanted a Cartier or HW ring and it scored 4.9 on HCA!!!!!!!! Just because your dimaond is from a brand name store doesn't mean it is quality unfortuately. But hey if that is what you want to put your money on then so be it. Come back here with stats on the diamond beyound what you already posted (which doesn't really tell us anything), and let the experts say if it is good or not. Be prepared that we will always say you can do better elsewhere as PSers tend to be for quality/ cut vs. brand name. And this is coming from someone who owns several Cartier pieces. I do love my brand name Cartier, but if my DH wasted that kind of money on an inferior product you bet I would have hit the roof.

Measurements 8.69 - 8.73 x 5.40 mm
Carat Weight 2.51 carat
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.9 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None

FINISH
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence Faint

mzcloud

Rough_Rock
Would I be paying more brand premium for a Cartier or Harry Winston?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
mzcloud|1372102957|3471478 said:

Have you been reading the other posts that have suggested against your idea? Because if you were you'd know that we absolutely KNOW that you'll be paying more for name brand! You always do for anything!

Here's a comparable diamond and BIGGER with the same specs and better numbers for 20k less. You could even find a used cartier setting or get one from one our vendors that's reproduction for 1/10th the cost!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.68-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-22956

These vendors that have been recommended to you ALL have at least a 30 day return policy so if you don't like it you can get a full refund. There have been thousands and thousands that were skeptical, but took the leap of faith and were glad they did. Use the extra 20k for your wedding!!!! Or an unbelievable honey moon! But please, not just on a name.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Well it at least scored under 2.0 on the HCA so at least it is not a poor performer. It got excellent for light return but only very good for everything else. I still wouldn't buy it till you have seen some others to compare it too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1372104079|3471487 said:
mzcloud|1372102957|3471478 said:

Have you been reading the other posts that have suggested against your idea? Because if you were you'd know that we absolutely KNOW that you'll be paying more for name brand! You always do for anything!

I think he meant which one of those brands has the higher premium. I would imagine HW has a higher premium than Cartier, but I don't know. You should email them inquiring about a ring with similar specs, then you'll know what they charge.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="mzcloud|

Measurements 8.69 - 8.73 x 5.40 mm
Carat Weight 2.51 carat
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.9 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None

FINISH
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence Faint[/quote]

A nice stone but over priced by about $25K. About 3 months ago WF had a ACA for $35K with the same specs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results