shape
carat
color
clarity

Carrots make you gain weight???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
When they profile the 800-lb man who can no longer get out of bed, what does he say--"Every day I eat 15 pounds of carrots?" I doubt that anyone in the history of the world ever got fat by eating carrots.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Think you love a carrot? Look at these people....they REEELY love the carrot.
36.gif

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/nutrition.html

More to address other posts...Excerpts taken from Bolthouse Farms (the juice people):

Just an experiment for our studies:

Q. How are baby-cut carrots grown?
A. We plant seeds bred for their sweet taste, small core, and color/vitamin content. Then we harvest them while they''re still young and tender. The rest of the credit goes to California soil and sunshine!

Q. Are the carrots really "baby" carrots or are they cut from larger carrots?
A. Surprise, we cut ''em! Immature carrots wouldn''t have much flavor. Most of the flavor "sets" as they mature.

I notice they continue to describe the carrot as "Sweet"... "sweet"... they all call the carrot "sweet", hmmmm. They add the carrot to other juice that needs sweetened...hmmm.

Q. Do your 100% juices contain added sugar?
A. No, our 100% juices contain only naturally occurring sugar

Anyone else see a pattern of sweetness?

DKS

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I dont know how others feel but if I am going to consume extra sugar I rather it be from a fruit or veggie than from something else.

I agree that a person isnt going to get fat from eating carrots. I mean lets be real people are fat because they eat chips, cakes, cookies, etc... combine those with a lack of portion control & there you go. I bet if more people kept a diary of what they were eating the problem would be very clear. There was a woman I used to work with who was always "Dieting." She would sit at her desk and eat chips, candy etc.. & then tell the rest of us how she is eating healthy & cant understand why she cant lose weight. HELLO! She wound up getting gastric bypass. I'm willing to bet had she really put in the effort to eat healthy, spoke to a nutritionist, & got a personal trainer she would have gotten good results with having to get major surgery.

I have some weight to lose but I dont make excuses. It took me a minute to figure out why I have been gaining weight. I have been a stick all my life then all of a sudden I weigh more than I ever have. Lesson? Dont eat what your child doesnt finish in order to avoid wasting food.
11.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I find the whole notion rather silly.

They aren''t Cheetos, for goodness sake! Eating a ton of Cheetos will make you gain weight. Carrots? Yeah, not so much.

Diabetics or insulin-resistant folks should limit them, or perhaps replace them with a different vegetable, but in moderation, carrots are FINE.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
overall many fruits and lots of veggies have a ton of sugar. if you go on calorie-count.com you can input any fruit or veggie and see it's nutritional information and then at the bottom it lists plusses and minuses for that food. you will see most fruits and veggies have a lot of sugar as the one negative/minus listed. but yeah i would rather get my sugars from fruits and veggies and make it natural sugar than something else of course. i find also that sometimes really ripe fruit is the perfect dessert and it's better for you than eating something else most of the time.

but yeah if you eat a ton of fruit and veggies all day long and nothing else and consume like 3k cals in fruits and veggies, you will gain weight. calories in and out, that's how it works. people gain weight mostly because of portion control. it's not bread or sweets or whatever that MAKE us gain weight, it's our choice to eat them and eat them in large portions. as someone else mentioned, breads and similar have been around for a very long time. it's just the combination of eating more of them AND a typically sedentary lifestyle that most of us lead (aka computer jobs, driving around all the time, life of convenience and little manual labor) that have packed on the lbs.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 12:49:07 PM
Author: Mara
overall many fruits and lots of veggies have a ton of sugar. if you go on calorie-count.com you can input any fruit or veggie and see it''s nutritional information and then at the bottom it lists plusses and minuses for that food. you will see most fruits and veggies have a lot of sugar as the one negative/minus listed. but yeah i would rather get my sugars from fruits and veggies and make it natural sugar than something else of course. i find also that sometimes really ripe fruit is the perfect dessert and it''s better for you than eating something else most of the time.

but yeah if you eat a ton of fruit and veggies all day long and nothing else and consume like 3k cals in fruits and veggies, you will gain weight. calories in and out, that''s how it works. people gain weight mostly because of portion control. it''s not bread or sweets or whatever that MAKE us gain weight, it''s our choice to eat them and eat them in large portions. as someone else mentioned, breads and similar have been around for a very long time. it''s just the combination of eating more of them AND a typically sedentary lifestyle that most of us lead (aka computer jobs, driving around all the time, life of convenience and little manual labor) that have packed on the lbs.
Sure, but the unbelievable volume you''d have to eat to get 3000 calories from fruits and vegetables pretty much guarantees it''s not going to happen. Not to mention the other effects . . .
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results