shape
carat
color
clarity

Caribbean All-Incl Vacation Suggestions

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubs & I are looking to plan an anniversary trip for February. We tossed around a few options/ideas, but for us, where we live, and what we want to do at the time of year we’re looking to do it, somewhere in the Caribbean makes sense for us. And when I say ‘Caribbean’, I’m including everything from the Bahamas, Jamaica, DR, Mexico, etc.

We’re thinking probably 5 nts/6 days, prefer all inclusive for simplicity but not a deal-breaker, with a budget around $4K all-in (e.g., airfare, resort, etc. but not ‘spending money’). We’re not looking to go do a ton of ‘excursions’, though having a few options would be nice. We’re low-key, want to relax, maybe take in some sights, relax on a beach, and just ‘be’, but ‘be away from home’. :mrgreen2:

I know some resorts offer ‘resort-sharing’ with neighboring resorts, so that might be good if get bored and want to go visit a different restaurant, spa day, etc. Shopping isn’t a huge deal, though the ability to pick up a few souvenirs would be nice or visit the nearby town/s assuming they are relatively safe. Virgin Islands seems nice from the perspective of being able to island hop for seeing other places, etc. We’re pretty open and flexible; just looking for recommendations and/or suggestions of places to avoid (e.g., for safety, etc).

Lastly, if there are any suggestions with regard to travel dates (e.g, generally cheaper to fly in/out on X days of the week, “Saturday night stay” type stuff), etc. that might be helpful, please feel free to pass those along as well. Thanks much, in advance! :wavey:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the Caribbean islands are pretty much the same. Sandals are all inclusive and look very nice, although I’ve not stayed at any of their resorts.

We usually do a Caribbean cruise in February, weather’s good, (seas are usually calm), but pre Christmas is generally cheaper than post Christmas, don’t know if that’s the same with the hotels.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot say enough about Secrets Maroma Beach resort in the Riviera Maya, Cancun. It's where we got married and had our honeymoon. The beach is EXCELLENT, the food is the best I've had.

I've been to several Secrets resorts (Maroma Beach > Playa Mujeres > Silversands), as well as Excellence Playa Mujeres, Sandals (Jamaica), Zoetry (Cancun), Beaches Negril, Jamaica and Turk & Caicos (these resorts are not adults-only, but their Turks and Caicos resort is by far the best one), Moon Palace (Cancun), and Tucancun (which was terrible).

Here are a few photos!

Excellence Playa Mujeres
ExcellencePM_1.jpeg ExcellencePM_13.jpeg ExcellencePM_4.jpeg ExcellencePM_12.jpeg

Secrets Silversands
SSS_1.jpeg SSS_3.jpeg SSS_4.jpeg SSS_9.jpeg

Attachments

• Turk&Caicos_1.jpeg
    Turk&Caicos_1.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 15
  • Turk&Caicos_4.jpeg
    Turk&Caicos_4.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 14

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the Caribbean islands are pretty much the same. Sandals are all inclusive and look very nice, although I’ve not stayed at any of their resorts.

We usually do a Caribbean cruise in February, weather’s good, (seas are usually calm), but pre Christmas is generally cheaper than post Christmas, don’t know if that’s the same with the hotels.

Thanks so much for chiming in; I’m glad to hear the weather should be good in that region around the time we’re looking to go. :dance: I also meant to include other neighboring islands like Turks & Caicos, Aruba, etc. ... we even toyed with just going to the Keys ... so basically, anywhere on this map:
1FA5A5E4-4C84-48FA-8279-7D96C2B53EB5.jpeg

I’ve read about Sandals (never been to one) as well as the Couples chain (never been to one of them, either), but of the two, Couples just seems to appeal to me more than Sandals, as Couples seems more laid back whereas I get this ‘frat house party’ vibe with Sandals, but I could be entirely wrong. I wish our budget would take us to the Maldives :(2 but perhaps that’ll wait for a more significant anni-vacay down the road.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Secrets Maroma Beach - my favorite HANDS DOWN
SMB_1.jpeg SMB_2.jpeg SMB_3.jpeg SMB_4.jpeg SMB_7.jpeg SMB_8.jpeg SMB_12.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @msop04 You are speakin’ my language with those pics! :clap: Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the different resort chains and destinations! I will definitely add them to the list of places to look at.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @msop04 You are speakin’ my language with those pics! :clap: Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the different resort chains and destinations! I will definitely add them to the list of places to look at.

You're so welcome! I wanted to add that Secrets (my favorite chain) has added like 3-4 more hotels in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area since we went last (in 2014). My younger sister (who has also been to the Maroma Beach location) has been to two of the new ones and said they were AMAZING! The newer ones she visited were: Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya and The Vine Cancun.

The Vine is in the "Hotel Zone" in Cancun, which is the endless frat party zone (no private beaches). I wouldn't advise staying anywhere in the hotel zone. Although the water is beautiful, there is no privacy and it's full to the brim with screaming kids and drunken college kids. (wow... I sound old) HA!! ;-)

All of the restaurants in the Secrets chain have the same names, regardless of which location you choose to stay. All are wonderful. My favorites were Bordeaux (French), El Patio (Mexican), and there is an outside grill at Maroma that I can't remember the name of, but it's casual, by the pools, and SOOOOO GOOD!!... they will legit serve you in the pool too, which is nice if you've had a few too many and can't walk... says a friend. ;-) LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're so welcome! I wanted to add that Secrets (my favorite chain) has added like 3-4 more hotels in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area since we went last (in 2014). My younger sister (who has also been to the Maroma Beach location) has been to two of the new ones and said they were AMAZING! The newer ones she visited were: Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya and The Vine Cancun.

The Vine is in the "Hotel Zone" in Cancun, which is the endless frat party zone (no private beaches). I wouldn't advise staying anywhere in the hotel zone. Although the water is beautiful, there is no privacy and it's full to the brim with screaming kids and drunken college kids. (wow... I sound old) HA!! ;-)

All of the restaurants in the Secrets chain have the same names, regardless of which location you choose to stay. All are wonderful. My favorites were Bordeaux (French), El Patio (Mexican), and there is an outside at Maroma that I can't remember the name of, but it's casual, by the pools, and SOOOOO GOOD!!... they will legit serve you in the pool too, which is nice if you've had a few too many and can't walk... says a friend. ;-) LOL

Both of the bolded statements are EXACTLY the kind of info I want to know! :appl:

Any safety/security concerns at any of the resorts you’ve stayed at, or anything to be aware of with regard to the surrounding/nearby towns, in case we opt to venture off the resort?

Also, have you traveled to any of them in the time of year we’re looking to travel (early Feb)? How was the weather?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one more question for anyone who can answer - what is our best bet for booking the trip? Expedia? Agent? Other online site?

@msop04 who/what do you normally use to book your travel?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary. February is a great time to visit the Caribbean. We have traveled fairly extensively there (via air, not via cruise, so spent anywhere from 5-10 days each visit). However, we usually stay in a locally owned boutique hotels (only did AI once in Antigua) and rent a car to explore on our own. Our favorites spots are British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, St. Barth, Exuma Islands (Bahamas), and Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic). I would highly recommend any of those destinations (I know Exuma has a Sandals Resort, not sure about the others).

Some other destinations we've visited are Nassau (Bahamas), Antigua, St. Martin, Aruba, Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula), which all have lots of AI Resorts. Of these, thinking Aruba and Antigua might be good options for what you are looking for (both very safe, beautiful beaches, etc.). Personally, I would avoid Mexico and St. Martin (safety). We have not personally visited Jamaica, many folks we know who have visited have expressed safety concerns. We haven't visited Dominican Republic either, but would consider it based on what we've heard.

Happy to answer any of your questions about these destinations to the best of my ability. Have fun planning!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of the bolded statements are EXACTLY the kind of info I want to know! :appl:

Any safety/security concerns at any of the resorts you’ve stayed at, or anything to be aware of with regard to the surrounding/nearby towns, in case we opt to venture off the resort?

Also, have you traveled to any of them in the time of year we’re looking to travel (early Feb)? How was the weather?

The only time I've felt even the slightest bit "unsafe" or "cautious" was when I was staying at in the Hotel Zone or when I was off the resort grounds. Honestly, I feel totally safe while staying at Secrets. When I go to all-inclusives, my idea is to stay inside the resort (which is why I'm so picky), relax by the pool, drink a ridiculous amount of frozen adult beverage, and eat amazing food. However, sometimes it's fun to book outside excursions like exploring the cenotes (underground rivers), snorkeling, etc... but I always book with someone in the resort. They take care of everything. Also, I cannot say enough about the spa at Maroma Beach. Just upgrading to use the hydrotherapy is worth it, IMO.

Speaking of upgrading... I'm not one to get the most expensive room or the "honeymoon suite". As long as you have an ocean view (most do), you're good! We did, however, upgrade to have the private concierge, private lobby, and hydrotherapy on our honeymoon. It wasn't much more and was worth it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one more question for anyone who can answer - what is our best bet for booking the trip? Expedia? Agent? Other online site?

@msop04 who/what do you normally use to book your travel?

I've been to Cancun what feels like a million times, so at this point, I do it myself online... but for our wedding/honeymoon, I had a travel agent do it for convenience and less stress.

There are several sites that always have the best prices on Secrets. I can't remember now, but I think one is something like "cheapallinclusives.com" or something. I just compare prices and go with the least expensive. I know I've used cheapcarribean and applevacations...

What you need to look for is a site that gives you an "all-in" price to include airfare, all taxes/transfers/fees, and will assist you with your transfer to and from the airport. It's seriously super easy. I'd be happy to help you if you'd like! Lord knows when I'll go again, so I could live vicariously through you! HA!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Personally, I would avoid Mexico and St. Martin (safety). We have not personally visited Jamaica, many folks we know who have visited have expressed safety concerns. We haven't visited Dominican Republic either, but would consider it based on what we've heard.

That's funny you mention Jamaica... I felt a little anxious when in town and taking taxis. As far as Mexico, if you don't leave the resort, you should be fine... and I mean, why would you ever leave? ;-)

Feistyred

Rough_Rock
We’ve only been to Mexico in the area that you’re looking but we have been a few times. Our favorite region is Playa del Carmen. Specially, the Playacar area. Gated with several all inclusive hotels within this area. Never felt unsafe and walked all over off property. At Iberostar Quetzal, they have a troop of monkeys that live on property and they roam free. We had a young monkey on our balcony each morning just hanging out! :shock: Loved this!
For Mexico, I found that vacationstogo.com had the best prices around.
Have a great time!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's funny you mention Jamaica... I felt a little anxious when in town and taking taxis. As far as Mexico, if you don't leave the resort, you should be fine... and I mean, why would you ever leave? ;-)

Agreed. If you aren't planning on leaving the resort, I imagine all AI's are safe since the resorts seem to do a great job of keeping things orderly even in destinations that have safety concerns. We aren't AI people, so even the one time we stayed at an AI Resort in Antigua, we had a car and explored on our own. There are only so many days of sitting under an umbrella on the same beach and/or pool I can do before I go stir crazy. :lol: And living in FL, we get plenty of that at home (though Caribbean beaches are far superior to ours!). Probably why we aren't really AI people...though I totally get their appeal.

Thanks so much for chiming in; I’m glad to hear the weather should be good in that region around the time we’re looking to go. :dance: I also meant to include other neighboring islands like Turks & Caicos, Aruba, etc. ... we even toyed with just going to the Keys ... so basically, anywhere on this map:
1FA5A5E4-4C84-48FA-8279-7D96C2B53EB5.jpeg

I’ve read about Sandals (never been to one) as well as the Couples chain (never been to one of them, either), but of the two, Couples just seems to appeal to me more than Sandals, as Couples seems more laid back whereas I get this ‘frat house party’ vibe with Sandals, but I could be entirely wrong. I wish our budget would take us to the Maldives :(2 but perhaps that’ll wait for a more significant anni-vacay down the road.

@the_mother_thing : The Keys are great, but to my knowledge there are no IA Resorts. Also, many people are surprised by the lack of beaches (there are a few nice ones in the upper Keys, but not really in the lower Keys) and the distance between Key Largo (the Northernmost key) to Key West (about a 2.5 hour drive). Key West itself is very small, so 5-6 days on that key alone might be too much. It also may have too much of a "frat house party" vibe. The Keys are a lot of fun (beautiful water and sunsets, lots of boating, birds/wildlife, fishing, bars, etc.), just not really known for beaches. We usually go once or twice a year for long weekends (about as long as my liver can take :lol:).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you go to Mexico just be careful and know your surroundings.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Most of the caution is directed at government employees. They don't want folks telling everythang...o_O
Jamaica has always been a little dangerous. Don't accept stuff from strange folks. If you're going to a resort, stay on it (do NOT go out of those gates at night, especially if you can't pass, IYKWIM)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you go to Mexico just be careful and know your surroundings.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Most of the caution is directed at government employees. They don't want folks telling everythang...o_O
Jamaica has always been a little dangerous. Don't accept stuff from strange folks. If you're going to a resort, stay on it (do NOT go out of those gates at night, especially if you can't pass, IYKWIM)

AGREED!! We had Jamaicans trying to sell us pot on the beach EVERY DAY... we just laughed it off, but daaaang! However, the older couple (think 70+) who stayed below our room made it a point to partake quite often... like every time we saw them, they were high and having the time of their lives! HAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I soooo appreciate all of the input to this thread so far, and welcome more suggestions for places to consider for our trip; thank you all so much, especially @msop04 ‘s kind offer to help with the planning (I may take you up on that, or at least run what we’re narrowing down by you to make sure we’re not missing anything in terms of fees, transfers, etc.). :appl:

As far as AI vs. non-AI (e.g. if we did the Keys), if we went the route of the Keys, we’d likely just do a VRBO rental type gig, grab our own food/drinks, and be done, so that’s fine. But if we go any further south (e.g., an island/resort type place), AI would be our preference so we don’t have to mess with any of that as well as to minimize carrying a lot of cash, etc.

As far as leaving the resort (wherever we end up going), it’d most likely be to do one or two excursion type activities (e.g., parasailing) and a little souvenir shopping ... that’s about it really; we just want to veg. And yes, I do know to avoid the “diamond dealers” with their scams in that area LOL. :twisted2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I soooo appreciate all of the input to this thread so far, and welcome more suggestions for places to consider for our trip; thank you all so much, especially @msop04 ‘s kind offer to help with the planning (I may take you up on that, or at least run what we’re narrowing down by you to make sure we’re not missing anything in terms of fees, transfers, etc.). :appl:

As far as AI vs. non-AI (e.g. if we did the Keys), if we went the route of the Keys, we’d likely just do a VRBO rental type gig, grab our own food/drinks, and be done, so that’s fine. But if we go any further south (e.g., an island/resort type place), AI would be our preference so we don’t have to mess with any of that as well as to minimize carrying a lot of cash, etc.

As far as leaving the resort (wherever we end up going), it’d most likely be to do one or two excursion type activities (e.g., parasailing) and a little souvenir shopping ... that’s about it really; we just want to veg. And yes, I do know to avoid the “diamond dealers” with their scams in that area LOL. :twisted2:

I'm happy to help if I can! :) ...and you and I vacation the same (eat, drink, veg, drink, eat, veg, wash, rinse, repeat). ;-) I will say this... there are no souvenirs worth your time/money/safety, as all that I've seen are super campy (unless you absolutely must have that Cancun shot glass with the lizard on it... then I understand). ;-)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Beaches" in Negril- amazing. The food is local- and awesome- and the beach is as nice as you can find anywhere......
We did leave the report to explore- my take is people lump Jamaica into one big bad ball. Negril is so different than the big cities like Montego Bay or Kingston. In a good way. A few years back we stayed for almost 3 weeks- when we drove back to Montego Bay for the flight home I realized we had not seen or heard a jet the whole time we were in Negril.
Plus, I learned to eat goat!
Have fun wherever you go!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to help if I can! :) ...and you and I vacation the same (eat, drink, veg, drink, eat, veg, wash, rinse, repeat). ;-) I will say this... there are no souvenirs worth your time/money/safety, as all that I've seen are super campy (unless you absolutely must have that Cancun shot glass with the lizard on it... then I understand). ;-)
Well, we have three kids, and we can’t really go away without bringing something - albeit small - back for them. Maybe a lizard shot glass for us and sippy cups for them. :lol-2:

"Beaches" in Negril- amazing. The food is local- and awesome- and the beach is as nice as you can find anywhere......
We did leave the report to explore- my take is people lump Jamaica into one big bad ball. Negril is so different than the big cities like Montego Bay or Kingston. In a good way. A few years back we stayed for almost 3 weeks- when we drove back to Montego Bay for the flight home I realized we had not seen or heard a jet the whole time we were in Negril.
Plus, I learned to eat goat!
Have fun wherever you go!
Negril does look nice as well, and it’s on the list vs. the other parts of Jamaica. Did you fly into Negril, or transfer from Montego Bay? Thank you for chiming in to talk it up! Think I’ll pass on the goat though; I’m good with cow, chicken and pig. :mrgreen2:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry if I missed it but---what airport are you flying out of?
With a shorter vacation I would aim for a non-stop flight, if possible, so you aren't spending 10 hours getting there.
I would look on CheapCaribbean or Apple Vacations since they will have charters that may help you avoid a connecting flight. Depending on where you are going, and which airline, you can look on the airlines vacation site as well.

Try to avoid President's Day weekend since it may be higher priced and less flight availability. February is going to be higher price than pre-Christmas.
We have stayed at Secrets and thought it was quite nice, for AI. It was adults only and had somewhat better dining than most AI.
One other thing to consider is how far the resort is from the airport. I would avoid a resort (especially in Mexico) that is far from the airport. Wastes time and increases your risk.
Personally---I am avoiding Mexico for the time being as the State Dept. issued an advisory a few days ago. We have not been to DR or Jamaica so have no comments there.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we have three kids, and we can’t really go away without bringing something - albeit small - back for them. Maybe a lizard shot glass for us and sippy cups for them. :lol-2:

Negril does look nice as well, and it’s on the list vs. the other parts of Jamaica. Did you fly into Negril, or transfer from Montego Bay? Thank you for chiming in to talk it up! Think I’ll pass on the goat though; I’m good with cow, chicken and pig. :mrgreen2:

All the Secrets have several gift shops, so you wouldn't have to venture out for things like that. *HOORAY*

Also, I didn't care for Beaches Negril for the following reasons:

1) The food was *just* okay... nothing great, but edible.
2) Once you land in Montego Bay, there is a 2 hour bus ride from the airport to the resort... some stretches have dirt road (or they did in 2008), and it's sketchy at best.
3) The two hour ride only had one stop for bathroom breaks/snacks/etc... It was at this little convenience store/hut type establishment.
4) Although it is lush, tropical, and has some cool things to see (cliff divers, Dunn River Falls, etc.), I don't care to travel to Jamaica again. Just my opinion, of course... and Secrets has ruined me. It's hard to even compare.
5) It's a family resort, so lots of kids running around the grounds and at the beach. I prefer adults only if I'm spending big bucks for a vacay to relax.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NOw that you mention the kids...if they are little guys- I SUPER love Beaches. It's expensive.
But for kids, it's amazing for a few reasons....
the beach is perfectly calm- you can walk out 30 yards and you're still up to your waste- so really great for kids.
I've been to a lot of Caribbean beaches- Seven Mile Beach in Negril rivals anyplace.
Another great aspect to Beaches is that they have a day camp- and our kids loved it.
We were abler to take day long excursions when our guys could not handle the drives or strong currents of waterfalls, etc.
You can't fly into Negril- you fly into Montego Bay - Beaches picks you up at the airport.
It takes about 2 hours to get there.
Aside from the drive, this is mostly a plus.
Negril is remote- no bustle. I love that about it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry if I missed it but---what airport are you flying out of?
With a shorter vacation I would aim for a non-stop flight, if possible, so you aren't spending 10 hours getting there.
I would look on CheapCaribbean or Apple Vacations since they will have charters that may help you avoid a connecting flight. Depending on where you are going, and which airline, you can look on the airlines vacation site as well.

Try to avoid President's Day weekend since it may be higher priced and less flight availability. February is going to be higher price than pre-Christmas.
We have stayed at Secrets and thought it was quite nice, for AI. It was adults only and had somewhat better dining than most AI.
One other thing to consider is how far the resort is from the airport. I would avoid a resort (especially in Mexico) that is far from the airport. Wastes time and increases your risk.
Personally---I am avoiding Mexico for the time being as the State Dept. issued an advisory a few days ago. We have not been to DR or Jamaica so have no comments there.

If the resort in on the Riviera Cancun/Riviera Maya, the transfer from the airport takes no longer than 45-ish minutes... also, you will be on highways (kinda like Mexico's interstate) until you take the road that leads straight to the hotel (which takes no longer than 3-5 minutes, at most). My sister is going back to Secrets next week... I'll ask her if she notices any difference in safety from the last 7-10 years.

Jamaica, IMHO, is sketch at best. Maybe if I'd stayed in/near Montego Bay I'd feel differently.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clarify - we are NOT taking the kids, so we would prefer to be somewhere with few to no kids as well (hoping the time of year we travel will help that as well). We can get plenty of the screaming/whining/'she touched me'/I want chicken nuggets stuff at home. :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOw that you mention the kids...if they are little guys- I SUPER love Beaches. It's expensive.
But for kids, it's amazing for a few reasons....
the beach is perfectly calm- you can walk out 30 yards and you're still up to your waste- so really great for kids.
I've been to a lot of Caribbean beaches- Seven Mile Beach in Negril rivals anyplace.
Another great aspect to Beaches is that they have a day camp- and our kids loved it.
We were abler to take day long excursions when our guys could not handle the drives or strong currents of waterfalls, etc.
You can't fly into Negril- you fly into Montego Bay - Beaches picks you up at the airport.
It takes about 2 hours to get there.
Aside from the drive, this is mostly a plus.
Negril is remote- no bustle. I love that about it.

Wow.... really? Maybe we went during a bad time of year (October)...

I would rank beaches (for beautiful sand and amazingly blue, clear water) as follows:
1) Tie: Providenciales, Turks & Caicos AND Secrets Maroma (maaaaybe give T&C the edge)
Maroma Beach, Cancun
SMB_11.jpeg SMB_15.jpeg

Providenciales, T&C
Turk&Caicos_1.jpeg Turk&Caicos_2.jpeg Turk&Caicos_7.jpeg
2) Hotel Zone, Cancun (sadly, I don't have any photos to upload - BOO!)

3) Negril, Jamaica
Negril_1.jpeg Negril_3.jpeg
4) Cancun/Riviera beaches that are a preserve (more "natural", rocky). Secrets Silversands and Excellence Playa Mujeres are on a preserve stretch of beach, which is pretty in its own right.
SSS_6.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results