shape
carat
color
clarity

Care to help me find a bargain?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would like to get a piece of jewelry for my mother. She has a milestone birthday coming up and we never knew if she would make it to this age due to many health problems that she has battled. So hitting this milestone is an extra reason to celebrate her birthday. :dance:

I thought about getting her a LightBox necklace but I think the chain would be too short so I would probably have to pay to reset it. And they only come in silver anyway.

So I am hoping to find something pre-loved. I know that some of you folks are amazing jewelry bargain hunters. Care to help me find something?

Wish list:
  • Preferably $500 or less, but I could stretch to $700 if necessary
  • Around 20" long (definitely no shorter than 18") necklace with a diamond pendant
  • Eye-clean, sparkly diamond(s) (not expecting AGS 0, just something fairly decent), facing up fairly white (I color definitely ok, maybe lower)
  • Preferably 14 kt yellow gold, but will consider 10 kt. (and maybe white gold)
  • Pendant not too tiny (Found many that were 1/4" and that is probably too small unless it is a solitaire)
  • Prefer the option to return it if it isn't great in person
  • Prefer a clasp that is larger/easier to put on and take off (I may be getting too picky here.)

Here are some pictures of a few styles that I like:

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More things I thought of:

• The chain alone needs to be around 20" + (maybe 18" would work)
  • I think I really prefer white prongs for cluster sets, though the chain could still be yellow gold
  • I do not wear necklaces - Is there anything specific that I should be looking for that will keep the pendant from constantly flipping over?

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So happy to hear that you are able to celebrate this milestone with your mom. I did some quick digging & found 3 stones on BN. All are high colour. LOL I included the lower colours in the search but hey, if high colours pop up, then high colours pop up. The 1st F is probably the nicest. The 2nd F looks like it would be eye clean for a pendant. That speck is pretty tiny but the other 2 are a much better option for not that much more. The .23 G is a nice one, don't worry about the VG polish, it wont make any diff to the overall performance of the stone.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10559379

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10774941

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10774941

With this from Stuller
https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...dationSource=CategoryBrowse#/mounting-options
** Should be around the $140 -150 mark

Try giving those a try. I checked JA & didn't find much. I did take a look at BGD but nothing & I just didn't have time to look elsewhere. The Stuller pendant is delicate in person. I had considered it once but chose another. It's not too expensive. A chain, 2nd hand wont be too pricey either. I'll take a look & see if I have any 20" in yellow I don't use.

Judy
:)

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In keeping with the search up to $350 max, this is the only one I liked. Looks ok but the 1st F is the nicest I think.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10582337

My chains are not long enough. I hope someone might have something for you. IDJ might be able to find those stones for you but if they can't, they do order from Stuller. They could give you a quote for a chain too. I have bought quite a few things from them but found that they can't access all the stones listed on BN. But see what they can find. :)

Oh that's a nice pendant from BGD. A 2" chain extender wont cost too much I don't think and something a local jeweler can order.

Good luck!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I am completely open to pre-loved but ordering jewelry without a return policy makes me really nervous, so LoupeTroop is probably out.

Maybe I could find a larger solitaire (.4+ ct) pre-loved or a circle pendant as those would have a little more presence.

I am hoping to get something classic that could be worn every day.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can anyone recommend some legit Ebay sellers? MyDiamondZone is the only one that I can think of.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Do the stones have to be diamonds? I can point you to one like the circle pendant, but the stones aren't diamonds.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Andelain, Probably, but I'm willing to look at something else. :)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a Loupetroop account? Probably best to reach me through there.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Andelain. I sent you a message there.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should clarify that I would be ok with buying without a return policy as long as I can be sure of the quality of the item beforehand. I have seen some potentially nice vintage stuff but without a video or something to show cut quality I feel like the diamonds could be garbage. And without an appraisal or really detailed pictures I just can't be sure of the condition.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish this was set as a pendant, but if I can get the seller to lower the price I would consider it. Does this ring look too "engagement ring" liketo give to my mom? :lol:

Cropped ring.jpg

ETA-
@missy, I thought about that tanzanite necklace but my mom is not too keen on rose gold.

@elizat, That one looks promising. I am consider a very similar, but smaller, one at Whiteflash.

@Maisie, That one is on my list of considerations! I am hopping to find something a litter larger, though.

@ac117, I really like the Blue Nile necklace but I don't know if the pink sapphire would work for everyday.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would check out Costco. I bought a beautiful diamond heart pendant there and it’s gorgeous..it sparkles like crazy..and is supposed to be at least vs2 and I color minimum. You wouldn’t have to worry about cut either...because the stones are small. I did a search and they had quite a few under five hundred. You could always find a preloved chain if the chains are too short.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, It is so funny that you mention that, because I bought a necklace at Costco today.

How is the chain on your necklace?

The pendant I bought is beautiful and .5 total cts. but looks much larger. Unfortunately, the chain is too short and very fine and fragile. The chain fits through a very small part of the pendant and I'm not sure if I will be able to replace it with a sturdier chain. I will take it to a jeweler and ask if they can do it. Fortunately, Costco's great return policy extends to jewelry. Unfortunately, I found out that they no longer serve chocolate frozen custard. :shock: That was one of the benefits of going there!

Here is a picture. It is terribly blurry but shows a little of the sparkle.

Costco necklace cropped.jpg

I think this picture from Costco.com is the same necklace. It looks 100% better in person. I couldn't tell that there is a second halo (cluster, really) row until I louped it. It's very sparkly.

Costco necklace pic from webpage - cropped.jpg

If this doesn't work out, what do you think of the ring that I posted above?

Last edited:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Slightly less blurry picture?

costco cropped2.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve had my necklace a few years now..The chain is very sturdy although it looks light..I saw it on the way to get rotisserie chicken and I had to have it! :lol:
I really like the pave necklace..I really think the chair would be fine. If there was a problem you could always take it back and they would give you a new necklace..Just keep your receipt...I’ve heard they will take things back years later..I’ll attach a pic later..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish this was set as a pendant, but if I can get the seller to lower the price I would consider it. Does this ring look too "engagement ring" liketo give to my mom? :lol:

Cropped ring.jpg

ETA-
@missy, I thought about that tanzanite necklace but my mom is not too keen on rose gold.
I don’t think it would look like an engagement ring..I think it’s really pretty!
@elizat, That one looks promising. I am consider a very similar, but smaller, one at Whiteflash.

@Maisie, That one is on my list of considerations! I am hopping to find something a litter larger, though.

@ac117, I really like the Blue Nile necklace but I don't know if the pink sapphire would work for everyday.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, Were you going to say something about the ring? I think your last post just quotes mine.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, Were you going to say something about the ring? I think your last post just quotes mine.
Yes..I thought it went through! I love that ring..I think it doesn’t look like an engagement ring and would be a beautiful present for your mom.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my Costco diamond necklace. It sparkles like crazy but I can never take good pics. The chain is sturdy..The photo was taken on an antique bedside chest..not my counter..I didn’t want you to think my counter was that beat up!
B43A5C7B-662C-4DAF-A9F3-7397F2B913B4.jpeg

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Tophat1. I will consider that.

Thanks for the picture @Mamabean. I wish the necklace I bought had a nice bail like yours. That would make it much easier to change the chain. There are a lot of complaints on the Costo webpage about chains, including stories of chains breaking and pendants getting lost.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results