shape
carat
color
clarity

can't decided on a diamond shape...

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
How did you decide what shape diamond you wanted? I'm a bargain hunter so I don't want to spend the extra money on the RB. I've been looking at ovals, but i've read that they can seem small for their carat size. I like how they aren't very popular and they have a kind of vintage feel. But I've also been looking at pears. I've read they look larger for their carat size. I think they are very feminine. Help, how do I decided which one to buy? THey seem to be similliar in price.

I think I would prefer a setting with channel set diamonds, and I read somewhere that ovals are usually used in 3 stone rings not in a solitare or channel setting. Is that true?

Any thoughts from you PS pros????

Thanks so much,

Liz

peachesncream

Rough_Rock
I think ovals are pretty. I'm ring shopping STILL and can't really decide!! So don't feel bad!
I am looking at pictures on this site and jewelry sites and seeing what catches my eye and then make a note of it.
Go with your gut and see what you prefer. I've seen ovals as a solitaire, why not? If it's not that common it will be that much more unique .
:bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, often we do see ovals with side stones here if the oval is set N-S. Here is another diamond size chart.

http://www.gemnation.com/images/actual-diamond-size-comparison.pdf

I'd say rounds and cushions are probably the most popular shapes on this forum, but there are many others such as princess, asscher, pear, and emerald cut. There have been a couple of pears with halos, which are beautiful. I'd encourage you to spend some time looking at the Show Me the Bling threads and see what really draws you. There are many settings that you'd never see in a typical jewelry store on here, too!

You may want to start here. I'd almost recommend starting at the end and working backwards because the initial posts are pretty old now!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for over a year and my problem is I see many that I think are nice. Maybe I'm not picky enough and that's my problem. I also refuse to go into debt for a frivolous purchase and a fabulous diamond ring (as much as I wish it was) is not a necessity. So I"m trying to stay within my $2500 budget. I think I want too much for my budget is my problem...

I think I want an oval in a pave band. What do you guys think about this setting with an oval stone?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/18K-White-Gold-Prong-Set-Diamond-Ring(1-4-cttw...)-5215-1.aspx

Thanks,

Liz

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
That link didn't work :(

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
If you want bang for the buck, you want a marquise. They definitely look the biggest for carat size and also they are not the most stylish right now, so you can get them cheaply.
But you should try on rings, all shapes may not look good on your hand.

lizzie-lou|1296515999|2838629 said:
How did you decide what shape diamond you wanted? I'm a bargain hunter so I don't want to spend the extra money on the RB. I've been looking at ovals, but i've read that they can seem small for their carat size. I like how they aren't very popular and they have a kind of vintage feel. But I've also been looking at pears. I've read they look larger for their carat size. I think they are very feminine. Help, how do I decided which one to buy? THey seem to be similliar in price.

I think I would prefer a setting with channel set diamonds, and I read somewhere that ovals are usually used in 3 stone rings not in a solitare or channel setting. Is that true?

Any thoughts from you PS pros????

Thanks so much,

Liz

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
evidentally I'm too stupid to make the link work. It's a simple cathedral setting with pave diamonds up the side.

Thanks,

Liz

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
I love those! Thank you so much.

Liz

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry. Missed the budget part. Have you looked at Jewels by Erica Grace?

Also if you are looking for a deal... wait till after Valentine's day if you are considering anything pre-owned or vintage, IMO.

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
no.. I haven't check those out, but I'm about to right now :D

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
good luck lizzie. with that budget, an open mind and some patience, i think you'll be able to find something show-stopping.

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, you guys!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
Re: I decided on a diamond shape...

Here's my new ring I got today!!! I cried when I put it on.

.86 oval I SI2
.30 18k white gold setting

What do you guys think? And it came in under budget!

ring web.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzie-lou|1296524871|2838816 said:
I think I want too much for my budget is my problem...

I believe that is the most common "problem" on PS and somehow it appears to be a problem at every budget.

I think your ring and diamond are stunning!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
If it made you cry that must be the one! wear it in health.

lizzie-lou

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to say that I learned so much from you guys and I really appreciate all your help and kind words. You helped me get more than I ever hoped for.

Thanks so much,

Liz

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1296618251|2840271 said:
lizzie-lou|1296524871|2838816 said:
I think I want too much for my budget is my problem...

I believe that is the most common "problem" on PS and somehow it appears to be a problem at every budget.

I think your ring and diamond are stunning!

ditto to all of this!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful lizzy...we need some hand shots! Congrats!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lovely ring Lizzy, many congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results