shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't decide on a diamond. Please help

bushwoodcountryclub

Rough_Rock
I've been working with a jeweler to pick an oval diamond before working on the setting (thin solitaire ring in 18k gold with platinum basket and prongs) and I cannot decide on a diamond. I know what I should be looking for but with the options in front of me, this is overwhelming. If any of you could provide some help I would be forever grateful.

I'm leaning towards #2 and #4 but truly cannot decide.

diamonds.JPG

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What criteria are you using so that you prefer 2 or 4?
Do you have pictures, ASETs or IS imaging to help you decide between these?
Most ovals will show some form of bowtie and you'd also want to ensure you've got crisp faceting throughout and especially in the ends.
The Opulence oval, cut by August Vintage Inc, does not have a bow tie and is optimised for light return. They only have two available currently but one is in your size range and G colour. I would look at this one as well if I were you. You could also reach out to August Vintage and see if they have more coming to broaden your search options.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really cannot use these numbers to select an oval. You can use them to select a few with potential, but ovals are very difficult. You need a video and ASET image to really help you. Of the large retailers we often search (BlueNile, JamesAllen, EnchantedDiamonds, etc.), maybe 1 in 20 ovals is cut well enough to pursue. I think most of us add a few color and cost filters and then simply review the videos. Are you open to an online vendor? If you post your wants, we can search for you. If nothing else, you can use that help you learn what to look for in evaluating an oval.

The only thing I could say with this list is that I would likely eliminate 3 unless you have seen it as ovals tend to show more color and concentrate color in the tips (making the stone look uneven in color).

bushwoodcountryclub

Rough_Rock
I'm completely open to an online vendor, I've just been using this person because I know her husband and my girlfriend knows exactly what she wants out of the ring and setting so it'll have to be made... It's not been the easiest process due to living a few states away but she has helpful and provided staic images + the GIA reports. No videos or ASET images (thanks for the heads up on that)

I would love to find a diamond that's at least 1.5c, probably VS or better unless there's a good SI I should consider, and I'm thinking in the colorless range. She's looking for a gold band with platinum basket/prongs so I'd heard colorless is going to be a better bet to avoid picking up too much color from the ring.

As far as the rest of the stats above, I'd like them to be as good as possible so it's a great diamond but have no idea how to weigh symmetry or polish with the bigger items.

Budget: I'd like to keep it close to $12,000 but can go up to $15-16,000 for the right one.

Thank you so much for the help already, just knowing to ask for the ASET is already making me feel better.

bushwoodcountryclub

Rough_Rock
I found a few more from enchanted. not all have ASET images, they seem to not be real common with the ovals I'm finding. I'm going to see if she can pick from an online vendor so I can get a better idea of what I'm about to buy and if not, maybe I'll see if someone local can make the ring if I bring the diamond.

Would any of these make for good choices?

#1 - 1.55c
#2 - 1.80c
#3 - 1.52c
#4 - 1.70c
#5 - 1.73c

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found a few at Blue Nile...you know to pay more attention to the LxW than the carat weight right? Most of these diamonds are in a big database and
most jewelers/vendors have access to them (except for the ones that they may own themselves). So your jeweler should* have access to these. Some
may not be located overseas vs. being in the US.

Hold down the ctrl key when you click on these links...
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09843542 (longer/bigger than the 1.8 but also cost more)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09400641 very nice, but smaller than the 1.8 and cost more (boo)

bushwoodcountryclub

Rough_Rock
Found a few at Blue Nile...you know to pay more attention to the LxW than the carat weight right? Most of these diamonds are in a big database and
most jewelers/vendors have access to them (except for the ones that they may own themselves). So your jeweler should* have access to these. Some
may not be located overseas vs. being in the US.

Hold down the ctrl key when you click on these links...
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09843542 (longer/bigger than the 1.8 but also cost more)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09400641 very nice, but smaller than the 1.8 and cost more (boo)

I wasn't aware of paying more attention to the L/W but I do know she likes the longer look (1.4ish) so I had been glancing at it.

Thank you for the replies, I really like that 2.07 you linked to. If you had to pick between the 1.8 and the 2.07, which would you go for?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough call because the ED video is not great and not turning at a slight angle so we can see how the facets are reflecting light. It definitely has
a faceting pattern that usually* reflects light well but hard to tell without the right video. But...if it is reflecting light well I would say the 1.8 is
a better value (IMO). Not sure if this is possible or not but...some people order both stones, do a comparison and keep the one they like best.
Other option is order one, see if you like it, if you dont...send it back. Order the other one (hoping its still available).

Here is a relative size difference between the two stones on a size 6 finger with a 2mm shank (band). Its a $3k difference but I can tell that the 2.07
has good light return and a nice faceting pattern. If it were me, I would call ED and see if you can get an aset or possibly another video of the 1.8.
If you get any more info, post it on this thread so we can have a look.

1.8 on left, 2.07 on right
oval difference.PNG

bushwoodcountryclub

Rough_Rock
Looks like the 1.8 has a hold on it from someone else so we'll see what happens. They did request another video if the other person drops the hold

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posted a few additional options on your newer thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results