shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t Decide Between These Two RBs from GOG...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ElonSig

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I have been staring at the two stones below nonstop for the past two days and simply cannot make up my mind! They are very similar so I am hoping those of you with more experience can lend me a critical eye. I have not seen either stone and, per the folks at Good Old Gold (Tim and Jonathan), these diamonds are so close (visually) that I might as well "flip a coin."

Stone #1 (H/VS1, GIA Excellent cut)

www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3037

Stone #2 (G/VS2, AGS Ideal cut)

www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3038

I spoke with Tim at Good Old Gold and gathered the following from his comments (after he looked at the stones in person):

-There is not a noticeable difference in the color. The G is dead on and the H is high.
-The cloud on the G is faint, invisible to the naked eye, and does not affect light performance at all.
-Cuts are "equal," i.e., one doesn''t look better than the other.
-Stone #1 (H/VS1) has a cleaner H&A pattern. According to Tim, "this will not make a visual difference...they are both awesome stones...the slight difference in the H&A is not going to make a visual difference at all."
-Visually, it was noted that if there are differences, they are indistinguishable and the brilliance, fire, and scintillation is a toss up to the naked eye.

I am attaching the BrilliantScope images for each of the stones. Stone #2 (G/VS2) seems to score better on the bar scale but it seems like Stone #1 performs better with some light sources and Stone #2 performs better with other light sources.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Brad

HVS1 BrilliantScope.GIF

ElonSig

Rough_Rock
My original post included the BrilliantScope for the H/VS1 (Stone #1). Attached below is the report for the G/VS2 (Stone #2). Thanks!

GVS2 BrilliantScope.GIF

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi E,

I can see why Tim said it would be a toss up, you''ve got two great stones. So I''m basing my pick on something else I noticed, the G faces up just a hair larger, and, is perfectly round, something you don''t see very often, at all!

That one gets my vote.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - a toss up. Is there a price difference?

ElonSig

Rough_Rock
There is a slight price difference but not quite enough to sway my decision:

H/VS1 - $5,523
G/VS2 - $5,714

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. Maybe ask Tim or Jonathan which one they would pick out for their wives if they were getting engaged with one of those stones?

ElonSig

Rough_Rock
I posed that exact question earlier today. Here were Tim''s thoughts:

Q) Which one would you buy for your significant other?
A) I always buy color over clarity…so I would buy the G VS2…that is my personal opinion.

Q) I know these are pretty subjective questions and tough to answer. Is it possible to also get Jonathan to take a look at the stones for a second opinion?
A) Sure…Jon says flip a coin! LOL

His response has me leaning towards the G VS2 but I figured I would pulse the folks here to get additional opinions. Thanks again for the input.

Ellen, great point on the diameter. I didn''t even notice that!

Anyone else have a vote?
1.gif

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I do have to admit that I''m with Tim about color - or rather lack thereof! I''d pick the G.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with the G/VS2 as well.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
G VS2

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Go with the better color. G VS2

avlis

Shiny_Rock
easy pick, the G vs2

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
hands down G VS2

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the G VS2.
2.gif

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the G!!!!!!

Good Luck
MWG

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i just realized that both these stones are Isee2 diamonds. cool. i still vote for the G.

ElonSig

Rough_Rock
With such a landslide victory for the G/VS2, one wonders why it took me so long to make a decision!!! LOL. Thank you all for taking the time to provide me your feedback. I''m going to have the G/VS2 sent to Martin Fuller here in the DC area to compare to two other stones I have selected from other vendors.

I have read some articles on the ISEE2 diamonds but I''m still somewhat confused. How can you tell that these are ISEE2 stones?

Thank you again!

Best Regards,
Brad

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great choice!!

Look under comments on the cert.
28.gif

ElonSig

Rough_Rock
Ah hah! I wondered what the heck that little symbol was next to the number, now I realize that it matches the ISEE2 symbol! Thanks for clarifying, Ellen! Is it odd that they enscribe the number on the table facet instead of the girdle? I assume that it isn''t visible but it seems like an odd place to put the enscription, unless they are trying to avoid having it covered up by a setting?

Thanks,
Brad

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I''d call it odd, but it''s certainly different. lol And it''s not a lazer inscription actually, it''s ionized on, in one of the corners.

Their reason for doing this, is to keep an unscrupulous person from buffing off the identification, assuring you some piece of mind. The thing is, you can''t see it with a loupe, and my independant appraisor (I have one too) couldn''t find it with a high mag microscope either. In other words, unless you live by an Isee2 dealer that has the machine that can show it, it''s useless in letting you ID your diamond.

I would ask GOG if there are inclusions that can be seen with a loupe, so you have a way to ID your stone, if you want that assurance. If not, and you are uncomfortable with that, you might want to have them inscribe the girdle. I believe they do that for free.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results