shape
carat
color
clarity

Cannot make a ring decision

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hello everyone!! I have lurked here off and on for the last few years. My boyfriend of 4 years hasn't asked me to marry him yet but did say I can start looking at rings. He knows me very well except when it comes to something like this so I am completely taking the reins and once I find what I want I'll forward the info to him.

Problem is that I cannot make a decision! As soon as I find something I think is the prettiest ring or stone I find another that is just as nice or better!

I am working with a budget of $5000 and I have pretty much ruled out diamonds as I can't find the size, cut, color, plus setting I'm happy with. Then I thought moissanite, then I found colorful sapphires!!!! See, I LOVE bright and colorful anything in life, I gravitate towards color. Plus, I can get a larger stone for the $$!!!

So I've been looking at loose stones but can't decide on a color. The green blues look kind of dark once set on a finger. I think the lighter colors like peach or padparadscha can look very bright and shiny once set and worn so I like that. Then I find a brownish/champagne color and it looks so rich and yummy so then I love it! The parti or bicolor can be stunning and right up my alley with being colorful! Ugh! Too many options!

Then the setting... I have no idea! Sometimes I see very simple setttings and they look great because they are so simple and clean. Other times I see cluster rings and they look so unique and beautiful that I love it too!

So, now I'm at a point where I can't make a decision on anything! Loose stone or finished ring? What color stone? Solitaire stone or multiple stones?

I do know I am open to less traditional settings and stones and due to my career cannot wear my ring 24/7 but probably don't want to go below sapphire with mohs hardness because I am kind of clumsy and bang my fingers and hands into things often.

If you've read this far, thank you!!! Please give me some advice on how to make a selection or at least how to narrow it down. Thank you in advance!
Victoria

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love sapphires as I am a september baby...

How hard are on on hands? Dainty flower? Bull in china shop? Sapphires are softer than diamonds, so you may need to consider these things...

Good luck!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion! Actually I don't care for the traditional blue sapphire. :-/ but I wasn't aware of that website so I'll let check it out more thoroughly!

I'm not dainty with my hands but not China shop bull either! I think I can get away with a sapphire over diamond because I won't be wearing the ring that often.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go looking at good jewellers and antique shops to try on as many styles of ring as you can to see if that will help you pinpoint a specific style. Also pin all the rings you see that you think OOH about and then go back through them after a couple of weeks and see if there's elements in common that you can identify to help you narrow down settings or colours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results