shape
carat
color
clarity

Canned dog food for dogs with kidney disease

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hills has a recall on many foods including the k/d canned. My dog has been eating the k/d+mobility which is not part of the recall, but I’m not sure how confident I feel feeding Hills right now. Does anyone have a canned food they would recommend? Thanks!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Royal Canin has renal support food. There's no safety guarantee with any commercial product imo. There's always the option of making home made food if you have the time.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the Royal Canin tip. I did an online search of homemade diets and that overwhelmed me. There’s meats, veggies and rice (all I’m fine with) - but then discussion of egg whites vs yolks, use eggshells for calcium, need to add OTC vitamin supplement (so is the risk of a recall negated by this?), adding fish oil ... If you know of a good and easy to follow diet can you please point me in the right direction? I got nervous that there was so much complexity in what I read I would do worse for my dog than commercial food.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got nervous that there was so much complexity in what I read I would do worse for my dog than commercial food.
Making homemade food can be tricky. I know more about cats than dogs but the main issue in kidney disease for both species is the amount of phosphorus in the diet. There appears to be less concern about high protein than in the past.

This website may be helpful, especially the "adding fresh food" piece where you combine foods you choose as a complement to a commercial diet. You would have to check with your vet first to determine the stage of kidney dysfunction before trying anything on your own. http://dogaware.com/health/kidneynonprescription.html

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Royal Canin is good as is taste of the wild but I’m not sure specifically for kidney disease. I’m in the car— we are going camping.

My dog elizabeth is at the vet for bloody diarrhea for a day and a half, so I was just about to search to make sure taste of the wild hasn’t been recalled.

TOTW might be too high protein for kidney issues

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Making homemade food can be tricky. I know more about cats than dogs but the main issue in kidney disease for both species is the amount of phosphorus in the diet. There appears to be less concern about high protein than in the past.

This website may be helpful, especially the "adding fresh food" piece where you combine foods you choose as a complement to a commercial diet. You would have to check with your vet first to determine the stage of kidney dysfunction before trying anything on your own. http://dogaware.com/health/kidneynonprescription.html
You can get quite palatable phosphorus binders - my elderly cat has CKD and is being ultra picky over the recommended food. So with the vets blessing we’re topping his food with normal cat food and using the binder to help reduce the phosphorus. He’s eating a lot more now so is gaining weight finally.
Just a comment @kzigo I would trust a vitamin mix to be safer from recall than canned food - there’s less in it that can be contaminated.
I was seriously considering cooking my own food for Finn cat just to get him eating again until we got the phosphorus binder that’s working for us atm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results