shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian customs clearance time

phtp

Rough_Rock
Hi, I finally pulled the trigger earlier in the month of Nov. for a BGD ring thanks to the help of PS members :bigsmile:

Had a little set back with the original purchased diamond. Turns out it was already sold and the system had listed it as available. Was disappointing news, but Lesley & Brian had rectify the situation by offering something a bit better.

The ring took just over 3 weeks to complete and was shipped this past Wed to be delivered for Thursday. However, it appears it needs to be physically inspected through Canadian customs.

Now my question is, any idea how long this process will take? I'm planning to purpose to my girlfriend mid next week and i'm hoping it's released before then. :errrr:

Paxonator

Rough_Rock
Mine wasn't at customs long. The only reason it really got stuck at all was I had to fill out a form and fax it to fedex as well as pay the taxes. You can always give fedex a call to checkup on your package. I know last week my package sat there for a couple days and there were no phone calls from fedex on my phone. I called and payed the taxes then the earrings were sent on their way the next morning.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My experience has been that customs only delayed the item by a day or so. It wasn't a big issue. When FedEx delivered, I had to pay the duty to them.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Customs doesn't unnecessarily take longer than they need to--they have such large volumes that the delay may be up to three days. As already mentioned, if FedEx delivers your package, they bring the wireless gizmo to your door and you pay on the spot. PLUS the $100 charge for FedEx to broker the package. Or, at least, that is what I paid last time.....

cheers--Sharon

phtp

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses. I forgot to mention Fedex had called early Thursday morning to collect the taxes prior to submitting it to Canadian customs for review.

From what it sounds like and depending on volume it's about 1-3 days.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did it arrive yet?

phtp

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1354978392|3326180 said:
Did it arrive yet?

Hi Enerchi, yes I picked it up from the depot late yesterday.

Tracking yesterday showed "in clearance progress" by late afternoon, but I decided to call Fedex to inquire about it. They informed me it had cleared custom around 2pm, but the package wasn't moved from the FedEx clearance area to the delivery/pickup department; Therefore still showing in clearance process and not available for pickup. The Fedex agent issued a note to the depot to move it so I could come pick it up and if I didn't hear back from them by 5:30 to call back. I had to called them back at 5:30 letting them know I didn't receive a call. The agent called the depot and told me they will move it now, but I had to get there before 6 (closing time). Being me, I couldn't wait until the next day and rushed my butt there. I got there at 5:50 and received the package, customs didn't break open the nicely wrapped BGD diamond box. I guess they only wanted to check that the declared content was correct. :appl:

One thing I didn't receive from FedEx was the receipt for the taxes. Did anyone get a copy of it or did you have to request for one?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippee I'm glad you have your BGD delivery! I can't remember about the forms...hmmm... Isn't it on the receipt?

hoover

Shiny_Rock
My tax receipts (a pink form) have always been in a pouch taped to the FedEx box.

Maybe it's under the shipping label/NAFTA declaration pouch?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes the receipt comes in the mail later, or you can call and they will mail it to you.

phtp

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1354999086|3326359 said:
Yippee I'm glad you have your BGD delivery! I can't remember about the forms...hmmm... Isn't it on the receipt?

Thank You, I can't wait till next week, hopefully she will like it.

hoover said:
My tax receipts (a pink form) have always been in a pouch taped to the FedEx box. Maybe it's under the shipping label/NAFTA declaration pouch?

I checked both boxes thoroughly and don't see it. Maybe it was because I called them and they skipped the process where they attach it on the box.

Dreamer_D said:
Sometimes the receipt comes in the mail later, or you can call and they will mail it to you.

Thanks for your suggestion. This might be the case and I will call tomorrow morning.

phtp

Rough_Rock
hoover|1355003948|3326422 said:
My tax receipts (a pink form) have always been in a pouch taped to the FedEx box.

Maybe it's under the shipping label/NAFTA declaration pouch?

Did the pink form include a breakdown of the exchange rate, and information about the item?

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I pulled out my pink form from something i bought last week - and yup, almost everything was filled out.

It has the vendor's PO number, weight of box, description (I.e. "polished diamonds" including the shape, colour and clarity), exchange rate, value for currency conversion, currency code, value for tax amount, gst, etc. It's very thorough and there aren't very many blank spots on my form. The gst and brokerage fee ($10) were also listed separately.

Were you able to get your tax receipt from FedEx?

phtp

Rough_Rock
Thanks hoover for doing that. That's exactly what I am looking for, mainly for crossing the border showing that I paid taxes for the ring.

Right now i'm waiting for the invoicing department to get back to me. I called FedEx and explained how I didn't receive the pink slip, the representative said she could only read out the breakdown (does no good for me), but still thanked her and hung up. Called again and explained I didn't receive the pink slip, this time the rep took down my email address and made the request to the invoicing department.

phtp

Rough_Rock
FYI, for future reference to everyone else, I did end up getting the pink document through the mail.

Thanks Everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results