shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you see the GIA inscription with your nake eyes?

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Hello I’ve been starring at my mom’s Bluenile Astor diamond this morning and I saw a spot on the gridle , in my mind I was thinking it seem like it is the Astor inscription logo. I took out a diamond viewer that Whiteflash sent me, sure it is it was the Astor logo, and I turn around and see the GIA inscription.i can not see all the numbers, but I saw a shadow of the letters GIA. And with the Logo Astor I was able to see very clearly.

How many of you was able to see it like that? The diamond viewer White flash sent me was a very simple one and i believe it’s nothing compared to the one they use in the jewelry store.

The fact that I was able to see something with my naked eyes, I guess any flaws I see in the diamond is exaggerated. Cause I can spot my mom’s SI1 Astor diamond with the flaws and many told me they can not see anything.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely can't read the inscription on my diamonds without a loupe. Even with the loupe it can be tricky to make out all the tiny numbers! I had my jeweler set my 5 stone ring with all the inscription facing out on the same side for easy confirmation. Still takes me practice to see them all.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely can't read the inscription on my diamonds without a loupe. Even with the loupe it can be tricky to make out all the tiny numbers! I had my jeweler set my 5 stone ring with all the inscription facing out on the same side for easy confirmation. Still takes me practice to see them all.

I guess it’s good to have good eyes, but at the same time it is bad for me. I am too sensitive with inclusions. For me to truly not able to spot inclusion, the clarity would have to be VS1 and up, some VS2 is ok.

I will have to keep telling myself most people will not spot anything with SI1 eye clean and be happy with the price.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once I turned 40, my traditionally amazing eyesight went downhill quickly. Once I turned 45, I can’t see stuff without my glasses. Can’t wait to see what 50 brings lol.

Congratulations! :lol-2:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Once I turned 40, my traditionally amazing eyesight went downhill quickly. Once I turned 45, I can’t see stuff without my glasses. Can’t wait to see what 50 brings lol.

Congratulations! :lol-2:

40 was the same for me. No vision problems my entire life until then. I had always heard it, but never believed it would happen to me. WRONG! Looking forward to what I won't be able to see in the next few years :shock:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't worry, by the time you are 35 or 40, it will no longer be a problem for you...

;)2

Wink
I agree! It’s a good thing though because your eyes age at the same pace as your face. You can convince yourself you don’t look bad for your age! Whatever you do don’t buy one of those magnifying mirrors to put your makeup on. You’ll be horrified! :lol:

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I think being able to see it and being able to read it are two different issues in play...

In my case, the inscription is easy to find, in the sense that it's visible to the naked eye on the girdle as you view the ring. But there's no way to read it without magnification. However, I can see this being a sort of annoyance for some depending on the way the diamond is mounted. In an airline halo orientation, it looks like a small black speck which someone could perceive to be a small inclusion even though it was intentionally placed there. Some people may actually want the inscription covered by a prong.

In order to read the #s requires quite a bit of magnification... probably 20x-30x if you want to clearly make out the fine details of the inscription and the #s. If your intention is to validate the inscription against your provided paperwork (either today or later down the road when your jewelry is cleaned or serviced), you can consider a loupe or a digital microscope/camera. The latter are surprisingly cheap on Amazon, although the cheap ones won't give crystal clear photos.

Attachments

• Inscription AGS 104100872057.jpg
    Inscription AGS 104100872057.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 38

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you do not like the black, you can always ask your jeweler to soak it overnight in the ultrasonic then steam it real well after it is cleaned. The black will come out of the inscription and then you will NOT see it with the unaided eye, but can still read the inscription under high magnification.

Wink

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink is right. Its hard to keep the burned carbonised black. Easy to get rid of it.
Most people stop prysobia by about 50 but need longer arms each year thru the 40s.
One of the reasons I have a preference for shallower diamonds.
I have seen laser inscriptions that were really ugly on step cuts. Not legible but looking like black SI eye visible inclusions.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am extremely nearsighted, like 20/700+.
That means that I can focus 3 - 4 inches away from a diamond. The bad thing about it is that I can see some inclusions with the naked eye in SI1 stones.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can make out the outline of the AGS Brian Gavin Blue inscriptions on my wife’s stones with the naked eye at the right angle. With the GIA and Le Gassick Certified inscriptions on her other solitaire stone, it’s not quite as easy without the use of a loupe. But there is no way I can read the report number on either stone with a 10x koupe. Even with a 30x loupe I have (with a shocking depth of field), I find it very difficult to read.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But there is no way I can read the report number on either stone with a 10x koupe. Even with a 30x loupe I have (with a shocking depth of field), I find it very difficult to read.
I need to use a 40 X
. DSCN0831.JPG

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I need to use a 40 X
. DSCN0831.JPG

Uhhhh...DF, I think you need a stronger prescription, as that appears to be 60x there.

Back to OP, my studs have the GIA inscription on them, not blackened, and frankly, I do need 60X magnification to read them easily.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I agree! It’s a good thing though because your eyes age at the same pace as your face. You can convince yourself you don’t look bad for your age! Whatever you do don’t buy one of those magnifying mirrors to put your makeup on. You’ll be horrified! :lol:

:lol: everyone I bought 15x magnifying mirror as gift hated me at first, but they all inevitably can't live without it soon enough. I can't do my makeup without my very useful magnifying mirrors!
I used to have EXCELLENT eyesight as well and noticed diamond inclusions others couldn't see, but now I have magnifying loupes/glasses all over the house just to read package/bottle label instructions, especially at night.
You should try to keep your stone at arms length and try not to obsess looking at it too close up since most people won't be looking at your stone that closely.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhhhh...DF, I think you need a stronger prescription, as that appears to be 60x there.
No, the lens above the stone is 40X. ;))

Reactions: DAF
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results