shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you put gold plating on an existing white gold or platinum bezel?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this. I was wondering if you had a piece with a white gold or plat bezel, like the one pictured below, is it possible to make it appear gold by plating it? Or would that process be too complicated/not possible etc? I see some pieces from this vendor that I really admire, and some of them have gold bezels but the ones I like have all white gold or platinum ones (see below). I have had this done with prongs before. I didn't know if with a bezel it's a totally different thing.

s-l1600.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I believe you can, however I’m not sure if it’s safe for your emerald. I’ve had a few rings plated without removing the stone but none of them were fragile or treated stones like emeralds.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I believe you can, however I’m not sure if it’s safe for your emerald. I’ve had a few rings plated without removing the stone but none of them were fragile or treated stones like emeralds.

This isn’t my ring just an example of ones that I’m eyeing. But the ones I’m looking at are emeralds. I know they’re delicate!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it 100% is. You can even select areas if the ring to plate different colours (basket and prongs white, band rose for example). But be aware that if you wear the ring daily the plating will eventually rub off and need re doing. Where I live that isn’t a problem because the jewellers will replate and repolish for free but they don’t do that in many other countries.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results