shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you negotiate setting prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hanione

Rough_Rock
So I''m 90% sure I''ll be getting the following A. Jaffe setting for my anniversary upgrade:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-jaffe-bezel-will-a-61-pt-diamond-look-small.59576/

I''ve been working with a local B&M who were able to get in a sample of the e-ring the same size as my stone (60 pts). The saleswoman gave me the following quote for the rings in platinum (supposedly after calling Jaffe):

E-ring: $2098
W-band: $1692 (each)

I would like to buy from the B&M because I would NOT be making this purchase without trying it on first and I appreciate their efforts to get the right size sample. Yet, I came to them with a style number in mind, so this will be a VERY easy sale for the rep. I don''t really feel like she deserves a big fat commission, but I know we''re all trying to make our living.

Is there any room to negotiate on the price of designer settings? How do I ask for her best price?

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
I know we were able to. But I guess its the type of place you are purchasing it from. If its from a chain store, like in the mall, I would say no. If it is an independently owned jewelry store, I would say yes. Just ask though- it cant hurt. Ask what is the best they can offer. If they say that the price they are offering is the lowest, then you know they won''t negotiat. If they begin to negotiate then you know they can go lower. Tell them what you want to spend and see where it goes from there. Good luck!

SBee

Rough_Rock
I''ve always been able to talk down salespeople at Mall jewelry stores...

While I''m trying something on I''ll (with a very serious, yet casual tone) ask if they offer a cash discount. If they say no, I just get up and start to walk away. Usually they will say "oh wait, wait, I''m sure we could do something..." and by the end of it they''ve usually thrown in a maintenance plan, cleaning products, and the discount (plus tax-free). I guess the trick to this is not having your heart set on something, or knowing that if you get burned you could always go back another day, suck it up and pay full price :)

That being said, we didn''t even try to talk our e-ring and w-ring vendor down (we''ve met her in person but deal with her online)...she was already offering a significant discount from retail...

hanione

Rough_Rock
This an independently-owned non-chain. I didn''t ask about a cash discount because I assumed they don''t offer financing...maybe a stupid assumption.

The first quote is within my budget, but I don''t want to pay more than I should.

I can''t really play the "I''ll just look for another setting at a better price" game because I came to them with the style number and haven''t looked at anything else.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Our good friend is a manager at a mall jewelry store and although she wasn''t able to get me a diamond I wanted to buy she did give me exactly 40% off the setting I bought from her. I''m sure you''ll never get close to that but it gives you an idea of what they "Can" do.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I got mine from a mall jeweler as well at a 40% "discount". Just goes to show how high their markup is!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We ended up paying $700 less for our Ritani setting than stores like Bailey, Banks, and Biddle were charging. So yes it can be done if you know how to do it right.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
doesn''t hurt to ask?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read somewhere that a good way to negotiate is to start with "Is that the best price you can offer me?" and see what they say. Then say "And if I pay cash?" and see what the answer is to that.

I read it in Oprah Magazine, I think...possibly Real Simple. Apparently it worked like a charm for the author of the article. If she says no, she says no, but I think it never hurts to ask with large purchases!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results