shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you help me to help my nephew buy an ER?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I’ve been a bit distracted this summer and haven’t been as active as usual. I’m showing up today to ask your help in selecting a diamond for my nephew’s upcoming proposal.
Budget (all in) - $18k
Shape - round
Style - solitaire
Clarity - VS or better
Color - I or better
He’s fairly early in the process and has no experience with an online diamond purchase. I’m trying to demonstrate that he can get a better, bigger & more beautiful diamond from an online vendor (vs B&M) and utilizing the intelligence of the fabulous pricescope community. Plus, with videos, ASETs, plots, grading etc. he will know exactly what he’s getting, with the only surprise being that the diamond looks even better than he expected!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! I’ve been a bit distracted this summer and haven’t been as active as usual. I’m showing up today to ask your help in selecting a diamond for my nephew’s upcoming proposal.
Budget (all in) - $18k
Shape - round
Style - solitaire
Clarity - VS or better
Color - I or better
He’s fairly early in the process and has no experience with an online diamond purchase. I’m trying to demonstrate that he can get a better, bigger & more beautiful diamond from an online vendor (vs B&M) and utilizing the intelligence of the fabulous pricescope community. Plus, with videos, ASETs, plots, grading etc. he will know exactly what he’s getting, with the only surprise being that the diamond looks even better than he expected!

How fun. Does it have to be a certain size?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for asking, “crutches.” No particular size. I guess just the best in those parameters. No need to pay for super high color and vvs.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I realize I'm jumping the gun a little but since I'm having some fun, figured I'd share a quick browse:

1.716 ct, I color, VS2 clarity, $14,844 which leaves plenty of room for a setting.

1.60 ct, H color, VS2 clarity, $15,975 -

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Budget (all in) - $18k
Shape - round
Style - solitaire
Clarity - VS or better
Color - I or better

What style of solitaire? Like just plain metal band or pave band?

I realize I'm jumping the gun a little but since I'm having some fun, figured I'd share a quick browse:

1.716 ct, I color, VS2 clarity, $14,844 which leaves plenty of room for a setting.

1.60 ct, H color, VS2 clarity, $15,975 -

Was going to come in to suggest that I VS2 as well! ~7.72mm which, when compared to the virtual selection of all PS approved vendors, is almost functionally identical to the 7.86mm 1.9 I VS2 from B2C (which I don’t like) or the 7.81mm 1.8 I VS2 from B2C. I doubt he would see a visible difference at those sizes. They’re all quite comparable on a price per carat basis too - 8371.51 (WF) vs 8014.21 and 8145.3 (B2C).

If he is willing to go down to SI1, there’s a 1.84 I SI1 at WF in budget (7.9mm spread); or a 2.01 I SI1 at BN, which allows him to break the 2ct mark! BN website isn’t working for me so I can’t link it here but you can find it with the PS search. Would just need to confirm if it is eye clean.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me ask you guys something. Have any of you overcome this hesitancy to buy online by having your friend/relative BUY one of these diamonds so they can see it with their own eyes or by the eyes of someone they trust IRL vs the virtual world? They can just return it, right? Is there restocking fee? Any downside?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, just got some feedback that my nephew wants to get as close to 2ctw (even if just under) and is willing to spend the $18k on just the diamond. Do any new recommendations jump out given this?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me ask you guys something. Have any of you overcome this hesitancy to buy online by having your friend/relative BUY one of these diamonds so they can see it with their own eyes or by the eyes of someone they trust IRL vs the virtual world? They can just return it, right? Is there restocking fee? Any downside?

CBI has the "see it to believe it" program where it's literally completely risk free to order a stone and see it IRL then return if you don't like it. I'm sure WF has equally easy return policies.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

I can give you perspective on the opposite situation- my husband (fiancé at the time) was not comfortable buying online at all and we ended up buying a diamond locally that I as wearer was not happy with in the end.

It really limited out options and in hindsight was a poor choice for us…we bought a new stone entirely in the end

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I bought our first diamond locally 26+ years ago before we had any Pricescope-level diamond knowledge. In the end we didn't get a great stone, it was fine but not great. Two months ago I bought a new ACA diamond from Whiteflash. And I literally still ogle my new diamond many many times each day.

Whiteflash provided so much information about the diamonds I was considering that I felt extremely comfortable buying. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable asking a brick and mortar jeweler to provide all the info that Whiteflash provided (although maybe more B&M stores are doing that by default now than were doing it back in the day).

And I tend to have a harder time saying no to something in person or saying I don't like it. Buying online without a salesperson standing right in front of me alleviated any of that pressure.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CBI has the "see it to believe it" program where it's literally completely risk free to order a stone and see it IRL then return if you don't like it. I'm sure WF has equally easy return policies.

I suggest calling cbi to confirm this program still exists and how and what if any payments need to be made. Back when I was buying in late 2020, this option was not available to me. Just check before telling them for certain.
Still for both CBI AND WF you can pay for it and see it with your own eyes and return. No fees to you and insured shipping back and forth. It’s still a huge win in your quest for the most beautiful stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Correct. No downside for me. Yeah you may have to pay to see it but they refund 100% of your money if you don’t want it. No restocking fee. Make sure you ask for the ring thing that allows you to put the diamond in a clamp so you can see it on your finger.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FAQs include the SITBI program:

I see. These are the new conditions. Previously I think it was available if you paid by credit card. They would put a hold of some sort without actually charging. I did what is described in the website now, which is essentially buying the diamond and getting a refund when I returned it. WF does the same thing.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know!! Happy to pay, just wanted 100% back upon return!
Still holding out for any Rec’s using the full $18k for diamond itself. TY!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Have either he or you done a search in Whiteflash for diamonds that meet his criteria? Picking an ACA is sort of fool proof so if you find a few that meet his criteria you can post them here for folks to evaluate.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah. Good advise adlgel

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just scoured JA and asked for some reports. Not much for ~2ct I+ VS+ diamonds, but I did find this 2.05 J VS1 that's AGS Triple Zero - it looks like a lighter J (closer to I color), but I will need others to look and critque it:

(contact them ASAP and ask to put it on hold, regardless if it's going to be "the one" or not - it'd be nice for you to have a fall-back option in your pocket)

cert11535353.jpeg

JA offers a 30 day 100% money back guarantee and a lifetime upgrade program, although they require at least double the value of the original purchase, before trade-in credit.

Whiteflash has the best trade-in program that I currently know of (100% credit for trade-in diamond and 50% for certain settings!), if you want the extra peace of mind with utmost flexibility:

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just scoured JA and asked for some reports. Not much for ~2ct I+ VS+ diamonds, but I did find this 2.05 J VS1 that's AGS Triple Zero - it looks like a lighter J (closer to I color), but I will need others to look and critque it:

(contact them ASAP and ask to put it on hold, regardless if it's going to be "the one" or not)

cert11535353.jpeg

JA offers a 30 day 100% money back guarantee and a lifetime upgrade program, although they require at least double the value of the original purchase, before trade-in credit.

Whiteflash has the best trade-in program that I currently know of (100% credit for trade-in diamond and 50% for certain settings!), if you want the extra peace of mind with utmost flexibility:

That JA stone is NICE find. AGS 000. Relatively clean plot and nice fat arrows. I would definitely put that on hold. So only 2 concerns with JA.
1. Upgrades tougher than WF. Only your nephew can know how much that matters.
2. Color. Does your nephew know how color sensitive his fiance is? I definitely see tint, which is to be expected with a J. But if they are ok with that, it is worth in in person viewing. If she leans more toward white stones, then maybe not...

Is this a total surprise or is the intended involved? It would be great if he could actually show her the stone and not get it wrong at all.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That JA stone is NICE find. AGS 000. Relatively clean plot and nice fat arrows. I would definitely put that on hold. So only 2 concerns with JA.
1. Upgrades tougher than WF. Only your nephew can know how much that matters.
2. Color. Does your nephew know how color sensitive his fiance is? I definitely see tint, which is to be expected with a J. But if they are ok with that, it is worth in in person viewing. If she leans more toward white stones, then maybe not...

Is this a total surprise or is the intended involved? It would be great if he could actually show her the stone and not get it wrong at all.

Precisely my concern for OP's nephew and his fiancé: maybe the J would be too warm because of color sensitivity.

Being a J, I was hesitant to post this one, but I figured it might be a great fall-back option...especially for the price tag which would either save a lot of money or open up many, many more avenues for an everyday setting after the presentation.

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That JA looks beautiful, but I do see color. It’s a good fallback.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Plain band

I'm no diamond expert so I'm gonna not touch that but if you go with whiteflash this setting has lovely lines.

If you go with james Allen this is nice and has a very classic look

BUT this with the basket accents is SO pretty!
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-adorned-cathedral-engagement-ring-item-61853
I'm not sure how wedding bands would fit or work

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash has two that fall within budget and parameters and would be amazing:

Both are ACAs, and it's nice that while similar specs, they have different LGFs and Crown %.... so, slightly different flavors.

Here is a virtual selection that breaks the 2ct mark, I/VS1, AGS000! I think WF will call these in and inspect them. I'm not sure if they will then qualify them for the buy-back and upgrade programs... I seem to recall something to that effect. If so, that's awesome, if not that may be of concern.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wolf/CBI has this 1.58ct G/VS2.... so you get slightly smaller but higher color (graded G by both AGS and GIA). And of course you have the upgrade policy behind it so if they ever wish to go larger, they can.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I would suggest, is have the nephew order the diamond before it is set, so he can look at it. The only downside is that diamonds do look smaller before they are set, some people have a hard time imaging how the diamond would look "set". Honestly anything like ACA, CBI is a slam dunk/no brainer for how it will look. I think given the generous budget, nephew might need more feedback from his fiance what her preferences are, as far as size, color, etc. That might even mean going to B&M jewelry stores to try stuff on or view for ideas. He also has a big enough budget and fiance can travel to whiteflash and view diamonds, try things on in person.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys have all been super helpful. Thank you!!! I think I’ve inadvertently overwhelmed him. What I wanted to do was ship him “our” best pic (with stone holder thingy) on my dime, so there're no nerves to contend with. I’m still waiting to see about size. His budget can buy a 2CT, but everything is a trade off. I won’t leave you hanging.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results