shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you cut a marquise diamond in half?

dasheekeejones

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My mom has a marquise diamond w/ baguettes in platinum. She passed away in April. While I'm not crazy about marquise, I do want to use her ring but I have so many rings now (from her, my grandmother and my husband). My engagement ring is a princess solitaire in platnium. I was wondering if it's possible to cut the marquise in half in order to make side stones for my princess (similar to a trillion side stone)? I don't have the details of the marquise except my dad said it's a very high quality ring and they bought it in the early 60s downtown Chicago. I know it sounds crazy to cut a diamond in half but I thought it may be a nice way to combine the rings into something new and meaningful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dasheekeejones|1347282871|3265136 said:
Hi,

My mom has a marquise diamond w/ baguettes in platinum. She passed away in April. While I'm not crazy about marquise, I do want to use her ring but I have so many rings now (from her, my grandmother and my husband). My engagement ring is a princess solitaire in platnium. I was wondering if it's possible to cut the marquise in half in order to make side stones for my princess (similar to a trillion side stone)? I don't have the details of the marquise except my dad said it's a very high quality ring and they bought it in the early 60s downtown Chicago. I know it sounds crazy to cut a diamond in half but I thought it may be a nice way to combine the rings into something new and meaningful.

Actually, depending on how big it is, it might be possible to have something done with it-- I'm not sure two trillions would be possible and it will devalue it, though. But you would need to send it into a vendor that does cutting and KNOWS cutting. I would talk to Brian Gavin Diamonds (Brian himself) and see what he says.

That said, I thought I HATED marquise but that was before pricescope. Since then I've realized that I just don't like how 99% of marquise are set, and when they are set correctly I love them. They make lovely east/west rings. And beautiful pendants.

Also, you can have it cut into a single pear cut from a marquise and wear it as a pendant or ring as well.

So there are lots of options. A lot of it is going to depend on your taste/flexiblity/budget and how big the diamond is and what can be done with it (if you chose to have anything done to it).

Can someone post some nice East/West Marquise (or even N/S ones) for this person?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure it can be cut in half but does it make financial sense? Never. Say it's a 1 ct stone, cutting it in half does not mean you'll get two 0.5 ct stones. You will not even get two 0.4 ct stones. You are more likely to get two 0.25 ct stones. Add to the fact that if it's a high quality stone to begin with, the financial loss is even greater because a single large good stone costs more than 2 smaller good stones.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.75 carat center stone; Danhov setting. Love this one!

_850.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top left of this photo is a 2 carat Maevona setting called "Skye". Bottom photo is more of a side shot.

maevona_east_west.jpg

maevona_skye_xl.jpg

dasheekeejones

Rough_Rock
Thanks .You're probably all right about me being stupid with the idea. I was thinking it was simple of just doing a clean cut. I loved that antique ring. I do like my mom's setting (classic baguette side stones) because I love mid century and art deco. I just feel like Liz Taylor with all the rings that I just can't wear all the time. My DH just bought me a BEAUTIFUL custom Tacori---bright blue topaz pear center in the crescent setting. My mom's ring from 8th grade (which I still need to get identified) is an emerald cut pink stone with 4 tiny diamonds set in platinum (it was from 1954). I LOVE that ring. My grandma's 1920 something opal w/ diamonds in a fillagree setting. And then a peruvian opal ring my husband bought in HI for me on Valentines Day. So I love all of these rings and I try to switch them out but it's one of those things I feel like I'm not giving them the attention they need by wearing one of them all the time. :)

And it doesn't help that I have all this beautiful, meaningful jewelry and I have a little boy (he'll be the only one). :appl:

So I figured if I combined my engagement ring with my mom's then at least I can wear 2 at once. :)

They are all beautiful resettings so thank you for the idea.

dasheekeejones

Rough_Rock
And I guess the notion that if my mom and dad knew I cut that in half, they'll wind up haunting me. :) :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1347295215|3265262 said:

DID YOU SEE THE PENDANT? Your fingers might be all full up but how about your neck!

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=60001225

http://alandiamonds.com/productphotos/135-466-1-l.jpg

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=57537798 (Stick your marquise in the center instead of that round)

http://www.makaylajewelry.com/pic/9/10k-1-3ct-diamond-marquise-pendant-necklace-white-and-yellow-gold-10kt-new.jpg Put your marquise right in the center there.

http://www.ohiloveme.com/images/s/PENDANT/Diamond/pZALE1-6837063_alternate1_t400.jpg Put your diamond in that yellow gold bezel.

Your future DIL (if any) will appreciate all the bling. And if your son has daughters, they might as well.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pendant is a great idea-think of it as your Mom would be closer to your heart. You can set the baguettes in the bale. Now that I am getting older my fingers are becoming arthritic so I am now opting for earrings, bracelets and pendants .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results