shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you all help me find a padlock / curb chain rose gold bracelet?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t really trust my judgment when selecting antiques.

I have become smitten with the chunky curb link bracelets with heart padlocks. My preference is 15k rose gold, but I’d do 9k and I’d like to keep it around $600.

my size is about 7inches

a lot of the bracelets I’ve seen are rolled gold, or hollow, which makes me nervous about durability. I’m not sure how to identify a “good” one

anyone have any pointers or have one they’ve seen on hunts?

1633103567739.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a listing with one exactly like this at 10 grams for more money so this might be a contender:

Also tagging @PreRaphaelite because I immediately thought of her since she has bought 9k before.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I saw a listing with one exactly like this at 10 grams for more money so this might be a contender:

Also tagging @PreRaphaelite because I immediately thought of her since she has bought 9k before.

Thank you much! This one is lovely! I’m sure 15k will probably be out of my budget…

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you much! This one is lovely! I’m sure 15k will probably be out of my budget…

Maybe but I would still search for 15k on the off chance. You might be able to find something on EBay.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock

From my “fave” jeweler. And I apologize for always suggesting my jeweler but I’m just so impressed with his inventory and breadth of knowledge….and I’m a happy customer!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

From my “fave” jeweler. And I apologize for always suggesting my jeweler but I’m just so impressed with his inventory and breadth of knowledge….and I’m a happy customer!

I don’t mind you referring your personal jeweler at all! I had my heart set on the “padlock” style clasp and this is a bit out of budget… but I will definitely peruse their inventory!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if you're going to get the chunky look you want at that budget without making a lot of sacrifices (ie, hollow).

This one is chunky, but 9k and double your budget:

This one is 14k & within budget, but not chunky:

9k & in budget, not chunky:

Love this one, but still 9k, and well above budget:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if you're going to get the chunky look you want at that budget without making a lot of sacrifices (ie, hollow).

This one is chunky, but 9k and double your budget:

This one is 14k & within budget, but not chunky:

9k & in budget, not chunky:

Love this one, but still 9k, and well above budget:

Thanks for sharing. That first one is beautiful…is hollow usually ok/durable? I’ve never owned a chain like this so am not sure of the pros and cons

that also may be why I have (potentially) unrealistic budget expectations

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very chunky one. It’s more normal to find them in 9ct rather than 15ct.
Also can be difficult to separate “modern” from “antique” as it’s a loved style and has been in manufacture for well over a century!
One things to be aware of is that some antique ones are “wax filled”, that’s not a bad thing except if you’re buying based on weight the seller will likely be selling at “total weight“ including whatever the weight of the wax is.
Some are also “silver lined” again that’s weight that won’t be gold weight.
Mine is hollow link and 9ct.
Personally I think 9ct works better for hollow links, much less likely to dent.
They mainly sell on gold weight plus some so for $700 you’re looking at around 10 grams or so.
Mine weighs 44 grams. 920CEA9D-168C-4C26-B979-210968B000A6.jpeg 8C45D227-DDB7-4297-AACE-E566CDD4E866.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have a very chunky one. It’s more normal to find them in 9ct rather than 15ct.
Also can be difficult to separate “modern” from “antique” as it’s a loved style and has been in manufacture for well over a century!
One things to be aware of is that some antique ones are “wax filled”, that’s not a bad thing except if you’re buying based on weight the seller will likely be selling at “total weight“ including whatever the weight of the wax is.
Some are also “silver lined” again that’s weight that won’t be gold weight.
Mine is hollow link and 9ct.
Personally I think 9ct works better for hollow links, much less likely to dent.
They mainly sell on gold weight plus some so for $700 you’re looking at around 10 grams or so.
Mine weighs 44 grams. 920CEA9D-168C-4C26-B979-210968B000A6.jpeg 8C45D227-DDB7-4297-AACE-E566CDD4E866.jpeg

Thank you so much for sharing insights

Yours is INCREDIBLE. The engraving is so beautiful! Little birds…

I just put a bid on one I found on eBay, otherwise I may buy the one that @yadayadayda shared as it’s gorgeous!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy! The seller accepted my offer on an Edwardian (hollow) curb chain padlock necklace! It’s the rosy gold color I was after, 14.2g and 9k. It’s a tad long, so I’ll probably have 1-2 links removed.

I’m so excited!

I didn’t actually save photos and the listing is gone…

41502CF0-385A-4F71-95D1-1E7AC25C9690.jpeg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s great, congrats! Also it is a good weight, can’t wait to see it!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry to be late to this party - but super excited to see your new bracelet!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous.
they are very wearable, no worries about links getting caught or breaking.
Also good presence on the wrist.
Enjoy and show us photos when it arrives :appl:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know I’ll need to remove a link or two, I have big wire cutters and may do a DIY solution instead of shipping it to jeweler..it would ruin the links however

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I’ll need to remove a link or two, I have big wire cutters and may do a DIY solution instead of shipping it to jeweler..it would ruin the links however

I wouldn’t DYI.
With my one the end links are round shape, not curb, and the safety chain is attached to the round links. So a jeweller would be needed to remove curb links and resolder 955A3466-4071-4AE2-9840-459EA109446A.jpeg the round links to the new “end”.
If yours doesn’t have a safety chain, make sure the heart padlock this “tight” otherwise it can open and fall off your wrist.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It may sound crazy, but you might be able to offset the cost of professional link removal by offering the extra links up on eBay or Etsy. Some collectors need those links and they are expensive to fabricate!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t DYI.
With my one the end links are round shape, not curb, and the safety chain is attached to the round links. So a jeweller would be needed to remove curb links and resolder 955A3466-4071-4AE2-9840-459EA109446A.jpeg the round links to the new “end”.
If yours doesn’t have a safety chain, make sure the heart padlock this “tight” otherwise it can open and fall off your wrist.

Oh that’s a good call. I didn’t think about that. Well off to David Klass it’ll go! I’ll have him add a safety chain too…that’s a good idea. I’m hoping 14k red gold won’t be too much of a contrast..

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It may sound crazy, but you might be able to offset the cost of professional link removal by offering the extra links up on eBay or Etsy. Some collectors need those links and they are expensive to fabricate!

Oh interesting idea! I didn’t think about that at all! Thanks for the idea

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It arrived much faster than I expected!

It's very pretty...such a delicate rosy color. I love the look! But I do have concerns...the bracelet has a strong...metallic smell. Is that normal for 9k gold? It smells like brass or copper.

I have sensitive skin, so a plated bracelet won't work for me. On *multiple* links, it looks like a top layer has peeled away or there's dark marks. Does this imply plating, or is it normal wear and tear?

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 4.03.12 PM.png

I am wearing it to see how it feels/how my skin reacts. The good news is, it already has a safety chain, but I would definitely need 2 links removed.

IMG-8759.jpg

IMG-8758.jpg

IMG-8756.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Another photo of the dark "marks" that I desperately hope doesn't mean that this is plated!

IMG-8762.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another photo of the dark "marks" that I desperately hope doesn't mean that this is plated!

IMG-8762.jpg

It looks like the links have 9c stamped on them. It’s likely age related tarnish.
Some sellers appreciate that many buyers like their vintage / antique pieces to “look their age”.
With me, I prefer them all bright and shiny.
A polishing cloth will get those marks off in a very short time.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It looks like the links have 9c stamped on them. It’s likely age related tarnish.
Some sellers appreciate that many buyers like their vintage / antique pieces to “look their age”.
With me, I prefer them all bright and shiny.
A polishing cloth will get those marks off in a very short time.

Thank you for putting my fears to rest! I was nervous that it was exposed metal underneath, but then figured that if it was brass, it would’ve been green

may I ask if a “metallic” smell is typical for 9k gold? It’s a bit hard to describe! It’s not overpowering but none of my other fine jewelry has much of a smell!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It is the high Copper content that makes it smell metallic. Mine was very strong smelling when it first arrived, but a good cleaning solved that. The more you wear it, the less it will smell, in my experience.

Congrats on a great find!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It is the high Copper content that makes it smell metallic. Mine was very strong smelling when it first arrived, but a good cleaning solved that. The more you wear it, the less it will smell, in my experience.

Congrats on a great find!

Interesting. That makes sense. Thank you so much! How do you clean your 9k gold without removing the patina? I have some general jewelry cleaner but wasn’t sure

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It's going to sound boring, but for anything without stones (or springs in the clasp), I use very hot tap water with washing-up liquid like Dawn, soak for an hour while I absentmindedly forget about it, and then come back, rinse well and dip in 90% alcohol, lay flat on a towel to dry for another hour, and then wear. I find that the less I rub the metal, the better I like the result.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Not boring at all! I clean my diamonds with boiling water, windex and dawn-it works as well or even better than my cheap ultrasonic!

perfect plan, thank you

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to add to this thread that the bracelet is so comfortable that I slept with it and I’m so in love with rose gold now! Regretting that my wedding set isn’t rose gold haha!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it and rose gold is just so feminine and soft looking. So glad you found this one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results