shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we talk about cleaning - the hair removal kind...

P

PierreBear

Hope this isn't TMI but have any ladies done laser hair removal in your bikini area? Was it effective, did you regret it, I don't even know what to ask as I'm embarrassed to even have to consider something like this. I cycle a lot and think hair follies might the source of some saddle sore issues. Apparently just shaving would cause more irritation so not even trying it and considering something more permanent. Thank you in advance!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know why we are squeamish about this sort of thing - we take care of the hair on our heads so it looks nice and tidy to us and to others, so why not take care of hair elsewhere in the same way? ;-) :razz: (I know @kenny would disagree, though! lol)

Despite being male, I've also looked into having a permanent 'tidy up', because it's a PITA keeping on top of things and takes time I could be spending doing something else. I hate feeling 'out of control' and much prefer feeling neat and tidy (TMI? :lol: ) - I just don't get how most men just let everything grow wild, surely it takes longer to dry off after a shower and also hides one's light under a bushel, IYKWIM? :lol: Not to mention I think it's a bit selfish - 'society' seemingly expects ladies to be hairless from the eyebrows down or be classed as a social pariah, yet blokes can look like a Yeti and be called 'manly' and 'beefcake'??

Anyway, personal choice and societal norms discussions aside :razz: the lasers work by heating and destroying the hair follicles, and they do this because the hair follicles are darker than the surrounding tissue/skin, therefore they absorb more light energy and suffer damage.

There are different brand-name laser systems out there, using different technologies (as in the quote below) that have different wavelengths that are suitable for different skin types. This site has some useful information on lasers and hair removal (but is sometimes a PITA to open directly unless you paste the link into a search engine and then enter it through the results that come up):
https://www.healthcentre.org.uk/laser-hair-removal/lhr-types-machines.html

• Ruby lasers. This form of laser has been developed to be as painless as possible. It works by slowly emitting heat before and after each laser blast throughout the treatment, making it less noticeable. The hairs can be precisely targeted and there is little harm done to the skin. This treatment is often recommended for people with a light skin tone.
  • Alexandrite lasers. Well known for being an almost universal system, the Alexandrite laser has been developed to allow hair removal treatments for a wide range of skin and hair colours. The light released is red, and is known for producing minimal re-growth, this combined with the heat produced damages the hair follicles.
  • Nd:YAG. Also known as ‘Neodymium’ the Nd:YAG laser emits infra-red light and can be used in conjunction with a carbon lotion that allows the laser to penetrate deep enough to the hair follicle to remove the hair. This type of laser is newer to hair removal treatments, but has been proven to be very effective in removing hair. The treatment might need repetition, however, as the results sometimes fade over time.
  • Diode laser. Using a long wavelength the Diode laser works to perform effective hair removal while protecting the skin and producing as little damage as possible.
  • Intense Pulsed Light laser (IPL). This system emits very short bursts of light at high speed. The frequency of the bursts and the strength of the IPL can be easily controlled, allowing it to be used on sensitive skin and over a range of different skin pigments and side effects are rare. Stricktly speaking, an IPL machine does not use a 'laser'.

I think it's a little out of date, as the carbon lotion referred to was never proved to be effective and was removed from sale, and Nd:YAG has now been around for a while, I believe.

IPL is most definitely not laser, as laser is one (perhaps 2 or 3 at most) specific wavelengths, whereas IPL is just broadband white light of high intensity, if I understand it correctly.

Ruby lasers also seem to be quite rare because I think they were an early development and have been phased out. IIRC they were very powerful and sometimes caused skin damage, so from what I can see, the options out there now are generally Alexandrite or Nd:YAG.

I think I'm right in saying that Nd:YAG is usually used to treat skin tones 5 and 6, because the longer wavelengths penetrate deeper into the skin and reduce the risk of the higher concentration of melatonin pigment in darker skins absorbing too much (shorter wavelength that you'd get from Alexandrite) light/heat energy and therefore getting damaged, which could potentially lead to hypo/hyper-pigmentation:
https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/FITZPATRICK-COLOR-CHART-3.jpg

IIRC laser cannot be called 'permanent hair removal' because it was ruled (by the FDA?) that only electrolysis is completely permanent, so it should be advertised as offering a long-term hair reduction by any reputable operator.

You should make sure to quiz/grill the place you are thinking about:
https://www.healthcentre.org.uk/laser-hair-removal/lhr-consultation.html

know the legal side of things (although this is UK information, the last part about Practitioner Requirements should (surely!) be applicable to elsewhere):
http://www.healthcentre.org.uk/laser-hair-removal/lhr-legal-requirements.html

and, of course, also consider potential side effects:
https://www.healthcentre.org.uk/laser-hair-removal/lhr-side-effects-risks.html

(To be clear, I have no affiliation with the above website, it is simply that it's the most useful reference material I've found when researching for myself!)

I do have a female friend (50:50 white/caribbean skin tone) who had downstairs tidied up a while ago now - if you want I can ask her about it, but I think it all went well! :lol:

PSers have previously posted their experiences in this thread, which might also be useful :))
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/laser-hair-removal.34203/

Last edited:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have.

We have a house at the beach and spend 4-6 weeks there every summer, so I'm in a bathing suit almost daily for that period. I have super sensitive skin - both shaving and waxing leave me irritated and rashy at first and then with ingrown hair shortly thereafter. Not a great solution!

I've had just the bikini line done - not letting lasers near anything too sensitive, I'm afraid - and I love it. It took about six sessions, six weeks apart, but I have basically no regrowth now. I think I'm the ideal candidate as I have dark hair and fair skin, so your mileage might vary - it's mildly uncomfortable, but only takes about ten minutes, and doesn't leave me with any irritation afterwards.

Hope that helps?

partysocks

Rough_Rock
I actually just had a laser hair removal consultation on Tuesday...

I haven't decided whether or not I will commit yet because I'm not sure how permanent it really is. I would love if it was gone forever - but I'm not sure if it's just less to no hair in that area for a few years? I still have more questions to ask them...

I have a few friends who have done it and said the pain was tolerable and actually less painful than a bikini wax. During my consultation they did a 'test zap' on my wrist to give me an idea of the feeling and I literally only felt cool air. I was shocked and would love if it was truly that painless. None of my friends regret doing it - they LOVE not having to shave!

If it helps I was quoted ~$1780 for 8 sessions for Brazilian bikini area. Of course, there are many discounts they offered if you bought 'packages' for multiple areas.

I don't know your ethnicity or hair color but it is widely known that laser hair removal is successful on light skin and dark hair. If you have dark skin or light-colored hair, it is less likely to be successful.

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
I had underarms and bikini area done quite a few years ago. I am considered an "ideal" candidate, as I have very dark hair and pale skin. It was done at the office where my sister works, so I don't remember what I paid, but it was seriously discounted. Unfortunately for me, it was ineffective! Initially, (after multiple sessions to catch the growth cycle of hair follicles), both areas were relatively smooth. That state of things only lasted about 3 months. I had both areas re-done twice, using different technologies than the first (sorry, I don't remember the names of what was used), but had basically the same results all 3 times. I'm really glad I didn't pay full price for that experience! Hahaha. My sister, who has same color hair but darker skin, has had great results, and only gone for occasional maintenance touch-ups. Go figure!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have! I had what they referred to as “extended bikini”. I didn’t want Brazilian but I wanted a cushion. I am HAIRY. Like no gap in the hair between about 5 inches below my belly button and my ankles. :eek2: It wasn’t all the same type of hair but it was all noticeably hairy. Shaving always gave me nasty razor burn and waxing wouldn’t even last a week long vacation. I couldn’t wear shorts let alone a bathing suit without well thought out preparation for YEARS.

I finally caved about 3 years ago and got laser hair removal. It is literally life changing. I have a little regrowth but it’s light, fine hair that I can either leave alone or get with a single pass with a razor.

Vacation? I’m in. Kids want to go to the pool? Sure! Make breakfast in my underwear? Yup!

Do it! :mrgreen2:

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
So I'm pretty shy and don't post much but let me tell ya---I had my legs, bikini, and underarms done around 10 years ago and never looked back!

I have olive tan skin so finding someone who could adjust the laser to suit my skin type was important. There's a website in the US called realself.com They cover cosmetic surgeries and such and may be useful for you. Ooosh has given you great info on types of lasers and what to look for.

Love love love being able to wear whatever I want without prepping. Swimsuit , check. Shorts, check. Tank top, check. Dress, check. And I don't get the dreaded in-growns any more. Skin is smooth.

If you find the right laser and person, go for it!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Resonance.Of.Life posted about sugaring and I've been doing that since. Hair that grows back grows back thinner and downier. Less painful than waxing.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have. Underarms! The best. I’ve done my upper lip too - in the process of doing that. Worthwhile! I’m not terribly hirsute or dark haired but it’s just nice to not have to worry about it. I’d recommend it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post some before and after pics.
more%20pix%20pls.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PierreBear so I take the opposite view and just trim a bit because when I remove too much it is more irritating (for me). The hair is a protective layer and I find it helpful as long as it is trimmed.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/...dy-parts-against-these-5-cycling-afflictions/

“Your pubic hair is like MIPS for your vagina, in that it’s a protective layer between your sensitive tissues and the friction with the saddle,” he says. Shaving and waxing eliminates that protection, and can create more problems with irritating stubble. That’s not to say you have to go au natural, but use a good (not dull) razor that provides a close shave and take precautions against infected bumps by applying a light layer of antibiotic ointment like Neosporin after shaving.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...ubic-hair-removal_uk_57b45a52e4b0e377ef69ec96

Pubic hair is thought to prevent skin abrasion and injury, which makes it pretty ideal for reducing friction during high intensity activities like sex - and cycling.

And of course make sure you use a good chamois cream. It is a life saver as you know. I lube up often during our long distance rides. It's a real game changer.
https://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Butt...=chamois+butt'r+her,aps,147&sr=8-2&ref=sr_1_2

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P

PierreBear

Thanks for all the responses. I completely forgot that I asked this question until Amazon delivered this antibacterial cream that is supposed to help prevent friction when cycling. I'm glad to hear that it has worked for some and think I should be in the "ideal category." If I knew it would be permanent, think I would be a go but still going to try the cream first before blasting away.
@missy - Thanks for your cycling input. All I know is trimming makes the edges even more irritating. haha I've got steel wool growing down there or something. Dancingfire wouldn't want a before picture of that. hahaha!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Popping back to this thread, just to say, that I agree with Missy about wanting some protective layer, however, if you are currently shaving or waxing or trimming too closely, it may be leading to irritation and infection with the regrowth. So if that's the case, laser might be helpful. Have you tried Fur Oil, by any chance? Sounds ridiculous, but it does really soften the texture...

P

PierreBear

Popping back to this thread, just to say, that I agree with Missy about wanting some protective layer, however, if you are currently shaving or waxing or trimming too closely, it may be leading to irritation and infection with the regrowth. So if that's the case, laser might be helpful. Have you tried Fur Oil, by any chance? Sounds ridiculous, but it does really soften the texture...

Hello and thanks for checking in on me! I actually don't shave/wax/trim just to avoid any irritation. Haven't tried Fur Oil yet but perhaps that will be on the list but as of right now (only used it twice) the chamois cream I've been using is antibacterial and PH formulated for women. It tingles for a bit and then after cycling with it, I even forget it's there. So far so good but won't know if it's truly effective until after a season where I can validate no more bumps! As far as protective layers, you aren't supposed to wear "underwear" or layers with your cycling shorts. There is already a lot of padding there and anything between skin and the padding would cause more irritation. It's so complicated to cycle as a woman but I think industry is slowly changing. There is finally CUTE cycling jerseys for women and nicer bikes that fit the geometry of a women... maybe with all those things combined I'll be bump free! Hope you have great weekend Jaaron!

P

PierreBear

I wanted to share some knowledge in case anyone was following this thread. My OBGYN said the type of cream I was using, though it had antibacterial qualities, probably still wasn't good for me. I was starting off the workout with the cream on, which means that my body wasn't dry... that combination with more sweat and friction wasn't making my body happy. Just FYI, I always thought chamois cream was a good thing but in my case, it was not recommended.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results