shape
carat
color
clarity

can we keep same setting and replace center?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Margarw

Rough_Rock
My e ring set is a round two carat three stone trellis style. The center stone is 1.02 ctw and the sides are .55 each. My dh loved this ring, and I did too, although I always thought the center stone appeared "small". My dh and I finally (after 6 yrs) got an independent appraisal, the two .55s were decent, the center, although a vs1, color h, has a "poor" cut, it is "heavy and deep", hence the fact that I always thought it appeared smallish. My question is this - we want to keep the original setting, and replace the center with a different one, a better cut 1.25 carat. I think this will make the center stand out a little more, and a bigger stone with the .55 sides will look nicer. Is it possible to keep the same setting? Will my family jeweler be able to mount a 1.25 in the place of my current stone? Advice is appreciated. I wish we had done our homework years ago! Thanks.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
You''d probably have to have a jeweler look at the ring to determine if that can be done. i know some people on this site have gotten upgrades and not have had to change the head. others have had to....You could probably contact one of the vendors on this site and they could explain....any pics of the ring?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I would second getting a jeweler''s opinion. It is possible though, depending upon the setting. My three stone ring has a 1.24 carat center stone in a spot that was designed for a 1.0 carat stone. My stones are set in half-bezels and the sidestones are .50 each.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the 1 carat stone now in the center was a deep, lumpy one, and also happened to be a good fit into the ring, the larger diameter 1.25 in a better make will probably not be as good a fit. It is far more likely to be too large to go in properly. It might cover the edges of the side diamonds, or not fit into the prong tips correctly.

Of course, a good jeweler can tell right away. Sometimes a ring can be modified to hold a larger diamond in the center. A bit of metal might need to be removed from the bottom of the shank to keep the correct finger size, too. You are going to need some experienced advice on it. Try to use someone who actually does this sort of jewelry modification work, not a sales clerk at a sales counter where they farm out their repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results