shape
carat
color
clarity

Can the top of this ring be safely removed and replaced with a single, diamond with bezel? It’s platinum.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
4BFE8335-805C-40C1-BB58-0E49FDA76F8A.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum is extremely difficult to work with. You really need to take it to a bench jeweller and ask an expert. It’s hard to see from you’re photo exactly what the existing set up is. If it was white gold I’d say it might be doable but not convinced if it’s platinum.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
IMO You would be better off purchasing a new setting. Even if it was yellow gold slicing off the top of any multi stone setting to convert it to a solitaire is pretty much reinventing the wheel. Add to it that the metal is platinum the redesign cost would just keep going up.

You could always look for a second hand platinum setting to save on costs vs buying new. In any event I am very much looking forward to seeing what you have done!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Even if it could, it's not going to be cost effective. I would get a setting made for what you actually want.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not really concerned about cost-effective, I am concerned about preserving the ring. It was my great grandmothers. The small diamonds pop out sometimes and I’ve had a jeweler tell me that retyping the prongs was very difficult so I thought if I could just take that whole piece out, not expecting it to remain intact, and put a large single diamond with a bezel that I wouldn’t be worried it would fall out. Does that make sense?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a profile pic? It “may” be possible with a laser welder, but again, even if it is, it will probably run hundreds of dollars. Add a gigantic diamond and you’re into the dozens of thousands.

Perhaps if you found a jeweler who is skilled in working with platinum, they could fix the prongs and you could keep the ring in its historical condition. But again, if they are highly skilled in platinum, perhaps they could take that top part out and slip a bezel in there.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, perhaps reach out to CJD Sako (insta @cjd_sako) and/or David Klass Jewelry (insta @davidklassjewelry) ... an experienced bench likely could do the work, depending on the actual condition of the ring and its dimensions ... like other PSers have already posted, it may be expensive but if it has intrinsic value and would be safely wearable for years to come, then a worthy expenditure on a family heirloom piece.

Have you considered having the top revamped so that the current diamonds are bezelled into place? Unless the diamonds are not original to the mount, or perhaps some of the diamonds need to be replaced due to damage/cracking?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results