shape
carat
color
clarity

Can the Date On A Grading Report Help Weed Out Stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
Hello esteemed PS lurkers. In my (apparently neverending) search for the perfect cushion stone for my girl, I find myself (again) viewing online lists and checking GIA and EGL lab reports that I have probably seen dozens of times. But I digress. Anyway, it occurred to me when I noticed one seemingly nice stone that had a GIA grading date waaay back in 2004 that perhaps this could help me "weed out" stones that may look nice on paper, but for one reason or another, have sat in inventory for quite some time. Is there any merit my thinking?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, this cannot help you.

A cushion-cut is likely to stay longer in stock than a round, simply because most people buy rounds. Also, it depends on who had it for sale. On the Antwerp-wholesale market, an old cert is an indicator that something might be wrong with the stone. But not so on the retail-level.

On the retail-level, the stone could well have been with a B&M-store for a year or two, while nobody came in for a cushion-cut.

Live long,

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response Paul. I guess that it makes sense depending on who has seen (or not seen) the stone. To further the question though....how about a stone that has been shown in an online inventory for months? Could this be a sign of something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results