shape
carat
color
clarity

can someone please tell me what type of setting this is?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
earringsetting.PNG

I really like these earring settings and was hoping to get a ring made into something similar. Does anyone know what this is called?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I call this a "faux bezel" with prongs. Probably not the technical term though :lol:

yeah I know what you mean though, so I definitely searched this on google "bezel with prongs" and it definitely did not come up with this setting :lol:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Not sure of the name but since you have the picture, send that in to say that is similar style that I want replicated in a ring with a few changes?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Not exactly a collet, more of a illusion bezel?

Yeah I didn't like the collet much because there was too much metal around the stone. But I will try and find some more illusion bezels. I want to set a wonky stone and increase the presence of it so hoping to find a setting that can fulfill that.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure of the name but since you have the picture, send that in to say that is similar style that I want replicated in a ring with a few changes?

Thanks Greg, I just have to figure out a few things on how I want to change it and if it's even going to look alright or will it look silly.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know DK doesn’t recognize the term ‘faux bezel with prongs’, but I use that term - :lol:
CVB calls hers ‘cup with prongs’
which then (IMO) gets confused with cupping a stone for color.....
I agree giving pictures to your jeweler with arrows and conversation of what specific aspects you like and dislike Is safer than naming something, sometimes.
Giving pictures of the same thing, but in a style you don’t want - and pointing that out - is also effective communication.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Greg, I just have to figure out a few things on how I want to change it and if it's even going to look alright or will it look silly.

when you have figured it out, and you can relay it to the jeweler of choice....most will be able to do a drawing to show you. And as you know, you can post it on here and experienced posters will help guide you on what you want and how to potentially change it.

the hardest part is to understand what you want and then how to convey it. The jeweler then has to put it into a computer Language to replicate what you have conveyed.

but so exciting that you might have a project to work on soon!

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Could it be a cut-down collet? I haven't seen it with earrings though.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I know DK doesn’t recognize the term ‘faux bezel with prongs’, but I use that term - :lol:
CVB calls hers ‘cup with prongs’
which then (IMO) gets confused with cupping a stone for color.....
I agree giving pictures to your jeweler with arrows and conversation of what specific aspects you like and dislike Is safer than naming something, sometimes.
Giving pictures of the same thing, but in a style you don’t want - and pointing that out - is also effective communication.

hahaha yeah I am trying to get a sense of how it will fit into a ring.. but will definitely show my jeweler lots of photos and hopefully he can recreate something spectacular.

when you have figured it out, and you can relay it to the jeweler of choice....most will be able to do a drawing to show you. And as you know, you can post it on here and experienced posters will help guide you on what you want and how to potentially change it.

the hardest part is to understand what you want and then how to convey it. The jeweler then has to put it into a computer Language to replicate what you have conveyed.

but so exciting that you might have a project to work on soon!

Thank you so much. I will definitely come back and ask for advice from PS'ers. I think the hardest part is not having seen something like this this and trying to replicate it. But I will definitely communicate that with my jeweler and see what he can do.

Could it be a cut-down collet? I haven't seen it with earrings though.

Initially I thought so too, but the collet has more metal around the base of the setting which wasn't the look I was going for, hence why this setting where the gallery is open.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results