shape
carat
color
clarity

Can one re-cut a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
My mom has a not-so-great cut 2.67 RB. Is it possible to re-cut a diamond to ideal specs, or is this dangerous (i.e., could you end up totally wrecking the stone)?

And how much carat weight would be lost (on average? or a range? or the most extreme case? or maybe it''s impossible to say?)

How expensive would such a thing be?

I feel kind of bad, because she would never have paid any attention if it weren''t for MY diamond obsession.
11.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything would depend on several factors:

1. current size of diamond
2. clarity and location of the inclusions
3. how tight you want the new specs to be (perfect H&A ideal or just excellent cut)

Only the cutter who views the stone in person will be able to address your questions. I believe Paul Slegers has done lots of re-cuts. He might be able to answer this better than me.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
of course you can.
wink has been involved with some fab recuts. you might want to contact him for an evaluation.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2007 3:13:35 PM
Author: Chrono
Everything would depend on several factors:

1. current size of diamond
2. clarity and location of the inclusions
3. how tight you want the new specs to be (perfect H&A ideal or just excellent cut)

Only the cutter who views the stone in person will be able to address your questions. I believe Paul Slegers has done lots of re-cuts. He might be able to answer this better than me.
Ditto Chrono, also it is said that many cutters won't take responsibility for the diamond, it isn't unheard of for a diamond to shatter or break during the cutting process, so it might have to be done at your own risk. As Chrono says talk to a cutter, there are so many variables here, but from what I understand, having a true superideal cut done can cost more carat weight than recutting to other standards. However a recut might be totally worthwhile, if this diamond is a suitable candidate!
30.gif

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
All diamonds can be re-cut. Should they be re-cut is another matter. Any cutter such as myself can give you various options on recutting your stone. Not all stones shouldl be cut to the super ideals. Many Super Ideal manufacturers can''t/don''t re-cut diamonds to the same specs as their branded line because they don''t have the choice of material that they do from the rough.

Color, weight loss, price are all factors in how a stone will be cut. The danger involved with re-cutting is usually nil although no cutter will take responsibility should there be a catastrophic break. The risk is higher in sectionalized shops where maybe two or three cutters work on the stone since their skill and the ability to pass the stone back and forth from process to process inhibits careful cutting on risky stones. An independent master cutter who can do all the work himself is able to walk a tight rope with risky stones and survive in addition to saving potentially extra weight through more careful cutting than the assembly line production shops. In 33 years of cutting and re-cutting I''ve never had a stone break..(knock on wood).

While it seems that there are lots of things to consider to the lay person, re-cutting everyday is pretty cut and dried. It boils down primarily to cutting for weight or make and often times the decision is a matter of economics on the owner''s end.

Good luck.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

"because looks can be decieving".

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, a stone can be re-cut. I would send it to someone great, it''s not worth skipping on. A homer recut would be fabulous. They should be able to give you an *estimate* of how much carat weight will be lost once they see the stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d consult Wink, as was suggested. I had a diamond re-cut a long time ago. It turned out great, and didn''t loose a lot of the weight. But best to go to the best!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results