shape
carat
color
clarity

Can not cleaning diamond cause damage?

zip99

Rough_Rock
Can not cleaning a diamond regularly somehow damage the diamond over time?

If so, what causes this and how long would it take for damage to occur?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
if you use baby brush and cloth to clean it..I don't think there will be able problem. after all, diamond is the hardest rock~

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it will not damage the diamond. But the diamond will likely look terrible if it is never cleaned!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
YES!!
My mom never cleaned her diamond (and did everything with it on). the dirt and grime building up in the setting was, she was later told, a prime factor in the diamond popping out of the setting suddenly one day and being lost.
She had insurance but no proof (sales receipt, appraisal) so never got it back.
Please do clean your diamond and also have prong and setting regularly checked by a jeweler (who can also do a better cleaning than you can). any jeweller is happy to do this for you (they hope you will see something you lke in the store while they clean).

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry. forgot to add it took about ten years. She had the diamond from marriage in 1955 until the mid-1960's (can't give an exact date, sorry)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope. The dirt will not eat into it like acid, or anything like that. I suppose if it was incredibly dirty, you'd be less likely to notice damage caused by other things (i.e., you banged it on something and chipped it), but the big problems with never cleaning a ring are, a) it looking cruddy, and, b) that being just plain unhygienic.

zip99

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results