shape
carat
color
clarity

Can inclusions be seen with an unaided eye for VS2 stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

inlove8

Rough_Rock
I have a question about a VS2 stone that I was looking at. The GIA cert. says it is a VS2 clarity, but I am able to see the inclusion with my unaided eye. Is this possilbe? Or did this stone get graded wrong?

Also, can anyone recommend a good independent appraiser in NYC? Would like a second opinion on the stone and want to see if my original appraisal and GIA match up.

Thanks for the help!

emeraldd

Rough_Rock
VS2 really shouldnt be visible with the unaided eye.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 5:15:36 PM
Author: emeraldd
VS2 really shouldnt be visible with the unaided eye.
That''s not true.

A certian percentage of VS2 do have visible inclusions (please see WF site for more information on this)

And also, certain people can see inclusions other''s can''t... especially in VS2.

So it could be YOU or it could be the stone.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 5:07:03 PM
Author:inlove8
I have a question about a VS2 stone that I was looking at. The GIA cert. says it is a VS2 clarity, but I am able to see the inclusion with my unaided eye. Is this possilbe? Or did this stone get graded wrong?

Also, can anyone recommend a good independent appraiser in NYC? Would like a second opinion on the stone and want to see if my original appraisal and GIA match up.

Thanks for the help!
It's rare for a VS graded stone to have an eye-visible inclusion but it can happen.

The grader considers the size, nature, position, number and relief (visibility) of inclusions as a whole. It's more likely to find a rarity like this in a step-cut than a brilliant...and in larger stones over smaller...but it's possible. The lighting and whether the viewer has superhuman vision (or is a young whipper snapper) are also considerations.

As you can imagine, internet sellers carrying in-house inventories avoid carrying these trade rarities (eye-visible VS2s and "overblues"), lest we be flogged.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/20/2007 5:07:03 PM
Author:inlove8

Thanks for the help!
VS2 should be an inclusion of minimal size..., most people will not be able to see it with an un-aided eye..., but I have met numerous people that have an excelent sense of focus that could even see higher clarity inclusions with the un-aided eye.

On the other hand..., I have seen GIA (and other repected Lab. reports) VS2 graded Diamonds that could easily pass as lower graded SI1''s and some even SI2''s.

One thing is for certain..., it will be much easier to find a VS2 type inclusion in a Step-cut Diamond than in a Brilliant-cut type Diamond!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
For instance, if this thread were a diamond...Gyspy, DiaGem and emeraldd could be small crystals under the table and I'm a feather under the flat of a bezel facet. We got VS2, but I may become visible if you tilt us slightly or to someone with fantastic vision. Shame on me.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/20/2007 5:32:01 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
For instance, if this thread were a diamond...Gyspy, DiaGem and emeraldd could be small crystals under the table and I''m a feather under the flat of a bezel facet. We got VS2, but I may become visible if you tilt us slightly or to someone with fantastic vision. Shame on me.
Not if we were "black" crystals....,
Shame?

inlove8

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses!
emsmile.gif

My Diamond is a cushion brilliant and not a step cut diamond. Maybe I just have really good eyesight (though not complaining about that) and since I was able to spot a small inclusion and knowing where it is...I can always see it when I do look at my diamond (and possibly focus on it too much from time to time). I guess I just wanted to know if it was ''normal'' and that My fiance and I didn''t get a badly graded report that didn''t match my diamond.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
You didn''t mention if you see the inlusion from face up or from the side - from the side "doesn''t count"
emotion-15.gif
- except in your mind...which may make you mentally "inclusional"...
emotion-39.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
When choosing my VS2 stone, I made sure it was eye clean--even from the side. Yes, I know, I''m in the mind-clean camp. I''ll go to my room now
5.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Good reminder Gary.

Date: 4/20/2007 5:35:37 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 4/20/2007 5:32:01 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

For instance, if this thread were a diamond...Gyspy, DiaGem and emeraldd could be small crystals under the table and I''m a feather under the flat of a bezel facet. We got VS2, but I may become visible if you tilt us slightly or to someone with fantastic vision. Shame on me.
Not if we were ''black'' crystals....,
Shame?
It doesn''t matter now. With all the replies we''re down to SI. After 30 the thread''s durability is compromised.

Anyone want to be an indented natural or a LDH?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. Can I be a cloud?
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
FG - of course, b/c you''re all sweetness and light.
2.gif

Gary - I was actually thinking that when I saw your avatar.

We need a few more to move down another rating... Anyone have friends named Nick or Chip?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, alright, I''ll be an indented natural - because I like to be on the Girdle
9.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results