shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I2 stones look beautiful?

Its2019

Rough_Rock
I am not a diamond expert by any means. My partner proposed w/a gorgeous ring, the stone is stunning. Issue it that they purchased it at a mall store and the stone is listed as I2 quality. The jeweler at the Kay's found an inclusion on the corner of the stone, nothing in the middle when we went to resize the ring. The ring was a total surprise, so I don't know how much research was done. Can the stones at Kay's be good quality? Will the diamond last? I'm just really worried about my partner getting gipped.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does it look to your eyes? Do you find it beautiful? That’s what really matters.

Are you considering returning the ring?

Its2019

Rough_Rock
How does it look to your eyes? Do you find it beautiful? That’s what really matters.

Are you considering returning the ring?

The ring is gorgeous :love: and I love that my partner picked out something I love. I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings at all.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! :D

Did the diamond come with a certificate and if so are you able to post it here including the inclusion plot? Also please post pictures! Not just for scientific purposes but it would be lovely to see too. =)2

There's lots of things that make a diamond beautiful. If you are fortunate to have a decently cut diamond that really adds to its beauty and helps mask inclusions. The rings given to us by partners are really sentimental and special and nobody is ever out to hurt their partner's feelings when it comes to an engagement ring. It's why so many stores get away with selling very dubious diamonds. My concerns would include the following:

Inclusions in the I2 range may affect the structural integrity of the stone.
You partner likely drastically overpaid for the diamond - like many have.

I actually have a few other concerns but it's not worth mentioning them until after we have more information, if they're applicable.

Finally, sorry to ask a really straightforward question, but what are you hoping for by seeking advice here? A lot of people post seeking reassurance, and we're an honest bunch who want the very best for the people who come here for reassurance. If your partner has been done over, we'll tell you. If we think you should discuss with him changing the diamond or returning it and starting again, we'll tell you. We understand how sentimental these rings are, but we'll still be honest.

There's a lot of threads here where for the original poster that's a really hard pill to swallow, it's not why they came here, they didn't really want to hear anything other than 'your partner did a great job' (because of course, your partner loves you and I'm sure did what he thought was right)... So yeah, be honest with yourself - and us - about what you would really like from us. :geek2:

I hope I phrased that ok. Congratulations again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said "inclusion on the corner of the stone"? Is this a princess cut stone? Is the inclusion on the corner?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sure they can.
Even with eye visible inclusions millions of people love them each year.
They can last as long as any other diamond in a lot of cases.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they can be. However, I would avoid (almost all) mall stores like the plaugue. If he purchased from Kay or similar, the stone was likely either graded in house (meaning the "grading " is bullshit*t), or by a not trustworthy lab. The problem in both cases is that he likely wildly overpaid for something that's worth very little. Of course what matters most is that you love it, but my fear is that a lot of $ was wasted, when he could have spend that money on something of much higher quality.

Its2019

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! :D

Did the diamond come with a certificate and if so are you able to post it here including the inclusion plot? Also please post pictures! Not just for scientific purposes but it would be lovely to see too. =)2

There's lots of things that make a diamond beautiful. If you are fortunate to have a decently cut diamond that really adds to its beauty and helps mask inclusions. The rings given to us by partners are really sentimental and special and nobody is ever out to hurt their partner's feelings when it comes to an engagement ring. It's why so many stores get away with selling very dubious diamonds. My concerns would include the following:

Inclusions in the I2 range may affect the structural integrity of the stone.
You partner likely drastically overpaid for the diamond - like many have.

I actually have a few other concerns but it's not worth mentioning them until after we have more information, if they're applicable.

Finally, sorry to ask a really straightforward question, but what are you hoping for by seeking advice here? A lot of people post seeking reassurance, and we're an honest bunch who want the very best for the people who come here for reassurance. If your partner has been done over, we'll tell you. If we think you should discuss with him changing the diamond or returning it and starting again, we'll tell you. We understand how sentimental these rings are, but we'll still be honest.

There's a lot of threads here where for the original poster that's a really hard pill to swallow, it's not why they came here, they didn't really want to hear anything other than 'your partner did a great job' (because of course, your partner loves you and I'm sure did what he thought was right)... So yeah, be honest with yourself - and us - about what you would really like from us. :geek2:

I hope I phrased that ok. Congratulations again!

Thank you! I'm just super bummed that my fiancé was taken. I didn't think anything of the ring until we took for a resize. The saleslady who helped him reminded me of the sales people who sell dead sea scrubs at the mall, up selling stuff you can get much cheaper on amazon.

I will remember the day forever. I'm not a materialistic or spoiled person and I'm absolutely flattered that he saved up to buy me something nice. I cannot post pictures as the ring is away right now. I def will update. My only concern is durability at this point.

Its2019

Rough_Rock
Yes, they can be. However, I would avoid (almost all) mall stores like the plaugue. If he purchased from Kay or similar, the stone was likely either graded in house (meaning the "grading " is bullshit*t), or by a not trustworthy lab. The problem in both cases is that he likely wildly overpaid for something that's worth very little. Of course what matters most is that you love it, but my fear is that a lot of $ was wasted, when he could have spend that money on something of much higher quality.

The engagement happened so fast, I didn't have chance to mention where would be the best place to buy. I also didn't know much about diamonds and browsed blue nile and james allen, just looking what was out there.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't tell you if it is beautiful. But, if you want to post the certificate and photos identifying the inclusion, we might be able to guide you about the durability. If you post the cost and specs (size, shape, I2, color), we might be able to give you a fair-market comp.

But, you've stated that you would never suggest it is returned or traded. So, do you really want to know or will more information just suck out all the joy if it is bad news?

Its2019

Rough_Rock
We can't tell you if it is beautiful. But, if you want to post the certificate and photos identifying the inclusion, we might be able to guide you about the durability. If you post the cost and specs (size, shape, I2, color), we might be able to give you a fair-market comp.

But, you've stated that you would never suggest it is returned or traded. So, do you really want to know or will more information just suck out all the joy if it is bad news?
:whistle:

Probably no, I don't plan on ever reselling.

Its2019

Rough_Rock
If you think it’s beautiful and you love it, just enjoy it for what it is- a thoughtful token of love :kiss2:
Don’t over think it, and CONGRATS!

Thank you! I love it because he picked it out. Sadly I don't think any of us really realized how much research is needed to buy diamonds and we trust the retail stores.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
:whistle:

Probably no, I don't plan on ever reselling.

And that's fine - if you would like comments on durability please post any inclusion plots that you have for the stone and I hope we would all limit our comments to that. :geek2:

Would be very nice to see the ring any way just to admire something that means so much to you, if you're willing to share photos once you've received it back.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The engagement happened so fast, I didn't have chance to mention where would be the best place to buy. I also didn't know much about diamonds and browsed blue nile and james allen, just looking what was out there.
I totally get it. If you love it and don't *want* to trade it in or return it (even if that means accepting that he overpaid) then I would just leave it alone. It's almost better to not know how much better he could have gotten for the price, since you want to keep it. I don't want you to just be sad about it. It's such a happy occasion and as long as you love it then that's great!

Its2019

Rough_Rock
And that's fine - if you would like comments on durability please post any inclusion plots that you have for the stone and I hope we would all limit our comments to that. :geek2:
Here is the only puc i have for now, im gonna some better pics for sure.
20190113_140819.png

Would be very nice to see the ring any way just to admire something that means so much to you, if you're willing to share photos once you've received it back.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Diamonds are admired, gazed upon, and even loved for their personality. No two are exactly the same - they can be beautiful for their own personal characteristics, or for the sentiment and emotions that are tied to the experience of receiving them, or any number of reasons. Of course I2s can be beautiful.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a blurry pic, but even so, it looks very elegant and very pretty. Congratulations and all the best to both of you!

Its2019

Rough_Rock
That’s a blurry pic, but even so, it looks very elegant and very pretty. Congratulations and all the best to both of you!

Thank you! Sorry only pic I have right now.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
It is beautiful! I also really love that setting. How sensible to have the tip v-covered! Sometimes the tip is just pronged over and that is insufficient.

Looking forward to more pictures! :kiss2:

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!!!!!! I wish you all the best. Lovely ring! But as said please more photos for us to admire!:love:

Also the heart cut is unique! Don't think I have seen one on PS before, although I haven't been here long. So please more photos haha

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Sorry only pic I have right now.
Well that's just beautiful! How rare is it to have a genuine heart shaped diamond for an engagement ring.
Please don't fret about what the actual clarity grade of the diamond is, and even with the blurry photo there are enough contrast cut patterns to make me believe it's one of the much better I2.
Treasure your lovely engagement ring :love:

Its2019

Rough_Rock
Well that's just beautiful! How rare is it to have a genuine heart shaped diamond for an engagement ring.
Please don't fret about what the actual clarity grade of the diamond is, and even with the blurry photo there are enough contrast cut patterns to make me believe it's one of the much better I2.
Treasure your lovely engagement ring :love:

Thank you!

Its2019

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!!!!!!! I wish you all the best. Lovely ring! But as said please more photos for us to admire!:love:

Also the heart cut is unique! Don't think I have seen one on PS before, although I haven't been here long. So please more photos haha

Thank you! I'll put up a couple more photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results