shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I wear diamond jewelry 24x7? (sleeping, showering, working out, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I have several pieces of diamond jewelry set in platinum or gold (white, yellow and/or rose). So far, I have been wearing the earrings without ever removing them (ie: in the shower, working out, etc). I wear rings and a watch daily. I was planning on buying an 18k diamond tennis bracelet and wearing that without ever removing it also.

That''s part of the reason I love diamonds... they are less fragile than most other stones. I am a low-maintenance type of person (and lazy! lol), which I why once I put something on, I don''t want to have to worry about remembering to take it off all the time.

However, a lady at a jewelry store recently told me I cannot wear diamonds all the time...she said exposure to the water, etc, will eventually ruin them.

Is this true??

PS - I do remove my rings to wash my hands and put on hand cream. Or if I''m doing manual labor.

Thanks,

Anne

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 8:54:02 AM
Author:anne_h
Hi everyone,

I have several pieces of diamond jewelry set in platinum or gold (white, yellow and/or rose). So far, I have been wearing the earrings without ever removing them (ie: in the shower, working out, etc). I wear rings and a watch daily. I was planning on buying an 18k diamond tennis bracelet and wearing that without ever removing it also.

That''s part of the reason I love diamonds... they are less fragile than most other stones. I am a low-maintenance type of person (and lazy! lol), which I why once I put something on, I don''t want to have to worry about remembering to take it off all the time.

However, a lady at a jewelry store recently told me I cannot wear diamonds all the time...she said exposure to the water, etc, will eventually ruin them.

Is this true??

PS - I do remove my rings to wash my hands and put on hand cream. Or if I''m doing manual labor.

Diamonds are less fragile, but they aren''t indescrutable, they can be damaged, chipped etc. Do a search on chipped diamonds and you will see some scary stuff. Also platinum is more resistant than gold. I have read that you shouldn''t wear 14k in pools & hot tubs because the chlorine can do damage. I would worry about wearing an 18k gold tennis bracelet everyday.

W/ regards to sleeping, shower, etc. damage can occur in those places- I have scratched the headboard of my bed w/ rings before, so I take my e-ring off before bed, then I put it on after I have showered and gotten ready. I do wear my prong set eternity wedding band nearly 24-7 though- I take it off and through in jewelry cleaner while I shower though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 8:54:02 AM
Author:anne_h
Hi everyone,

Is this true??

Thanks,

Anne
No.

However, if you don''t clean them regularly, it will "ruin" the look of them.
2.gif

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks both for the replies.

Question about the 18k diamond tennis bracelet... should I investigate having it made with platinum instead (so I can wear it all the time)?

Either way, what situations would I have to remove it for? I already would remove it for going in pools/hottubs, or doing manual labor. But I *would* like to be able to wear it to bed, in the shower, when working out, etc.

Anne

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
If diamonds are one of the hardest substances in the world, I''d hope that a little "exposure to water" wouldn''t harm them!
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one thing I''ve read about 18 kt. is that if you wear it to bed, the constant movememt of the sheets against the prongs can eventually wear them out. Now, I wore an 18 kt. wedding set for over 20 years, all the time, and it didn''t wear my prongs out.

But, there''s a lady on here who sews, so she constantly has fabric running over her hand, and she''s gone through a few sets of WG prongs, so she finally switched to Platinum.

Might not hurt to go Platinum if you can afford it.

Also, if you have hard water, I''d remove it to shower. It just helps prevent a build up from the minerals.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Anne h, I wear my diamond studs non-stop. I take them out and give the holes in my ears a good scrub once or twice a week, but I shower with them, sleep with them, work out with them, etc. I''ve never had a problem. I have the prongs/settings checked about once a year to make sure they are secure.

Rings I remove at night and also to work out, wash dishes, garden, etc. My hands swell up a bit when I exercise, so the rings can be a little uncomfortable.

However with respect to my bracelet....my tennis bracelet is 18K white gold. Tennis bracelets involve moving parts that are subject to wear and lots of prongs that can snag on stuff. My bracelet fits much looser than my watch, so I actually find the bracelet a little annoying at times. So needless to say, I don''t wear it all the time. This works out just fine.

Hope this helps....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is not all that hard and can certainly get dings and flattened prong tips. So I wouldn''t wear any diamond jewelry 24/7. I don''t want to increase the wear and tear and it also needs to be kept clean to be beautiful. So it just makes sense to me to take it off before bed, clean it, and put it back on the next morning after shower and make-up.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
The main problem with wearing in the shower, etc is that they get soap film on them which makes them lose their sparkle - you don''t realize that they are dirty until you actually clean them and then you are like ''whoa, I didn''t know they were dirty!''

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 3:05:12 PM
Author: :)
The main problem with wearing in the shower, etc is that they get soap film on them which makes them lose their sparkle - you don''t realize that they are dirty until you actually clean them and then you are like ''whoa, I didn''t know they were dirty!''

Agreed. It depends on the soap you use, how hard your water is, etc., but goopy soap, soap residue, and hard water spots are definitely sparkle-inhibitors!

I''m concerned about anne h''s prongs/links weakening over time if she wears an 18K bracelet 24/7. Anne h, if you do choose to wear the bracelet all the time, please be sure to get it checked 2-3 times a year (or more frequently if you are hard on it). It would stink to have a diamond fall out or loose the bracelet entirely if a link fails.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
you oughta see what i see in the pawn ships. earrings with "ear jam" in the crevices and mounting. dirty diamonds are rather gross. if you want maintenance free jewels, how about plain metal?

as a reformed person who used to never take her ring off, i am surprised i never lost my crud covered engagement ring stone in the weakened setting. that said -- it would be smart to invest in a loupe and an ultrasonic cleaner, to be used daily or weekly, to inspect prongs and cleanliness level.

or make sure you have good insurance.

all in all bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results