shape
carat
color
clarity

Can i see your Grandma jewlery ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So this might not be the right place but i don't just want to see Grandma's diamonds and natural sapphires, i want to see the inherited pearls and paste and man-made gems of her's that you also treasure

Inherited and gifted

I wish mum had given me stuff when she was still alive so i could have known more about some things

So often i see threads asking the value or authenticity of an inherited piece and i feel dismayed that something pretty may not be loved or worn and appreated because its not 'real', disregarding family history and sentiment

Im always inspired by some great ladies of history who mixed and matched real and faux

My great aunty had lots of lovelly (but terribly outdated by the 1970s) sparkly paste pieces that we would play with as kids - i think that's where i got my inner magpie from

As sad as it is they are long gone we certsinly enjoyed playing with them so all was not lost
And now i have her very real vintage diamond ER to remember her and her bling by.

So what highly sentimental pieces do you have from your nanna, great grandma, or even mum or aunty, or inlaw that you absolutly adore
real or otherwise ?
Or maybe its a tea cup ...or an entire tea set ?
What would you most be sad about, if after your demise, your family sent it off to the local charity shop unaware or unappreciative of your sentimentality ?

By the way im on a bit of a pearl thing at the moment so I'd love to see Granny's pearls - real or much loved faux

The first for me
is grandma's goldtone berry brooch.
I always loved this. I remember her wearing it on a sage green coat dress in the mid 1970s
One day im going to take it somewhere and get a Stirling silver copy made
the 2nd is her engagment ring
its small by PS standards, but would have been more than acceptable back in her day.
I've had it valued and its worth not an insignificant amount, my grandad would have saved up for it on a trademen's wage durring the depression-
it reminds me of as much of him as it does of her and im very lucky to have it as the oldest daughter of the only daughter, as i have 4 female cousins older than me who knew grandma for longer than i did

The eternity ring is from Dad to Mum when i was born

When Mum had altzimers she stopped wearing her ER - like she forgot it and Dad and us but she remembered her own parents and she wore her mother's ER
My sister saddly had to prize it off her finger at the nursing home as they could not guarantee its security

Even though the ER is worth much more than the brooch i love each equally just like my grandma loved all her grandchildren

I'm a sentimental old fool
So show me yours
20190504_135619.jpg 20190501_163434.jpg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll have to get busy. I have a few very special pieces from both my Grandmas. And 1 from my great grandmother.
I don’t wear these pieces, except special occasions, and these are kept safely locked away. While I have many pieces worth considerably more $$$$ these inherited pieces are much more precious and totally unreplaceable.
i was lucky enough to inherit because I was trusted to 1. not to carelessly lose them 2. Not remodel them and 3. Not sell them.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First up. Other than her wedding ring, there is no other jewellery from my Nana (Dads Mum). They had no money, Poppy was gassed in WW2 and never had good health so anything that could be sold was sold while they struggled to raise and feed 8 kids. My dad was raised in a Humpy, literally a structure made of corrograted iron, they had a cold water tap, no hot water, no electricity. My Dad had a tough start to life.
This Medal was too precious to my Nana for her to sell. It is the gold medal she won in a Lifesaving Championship, she was the first woman to be awarded such an honour. You can’t read the engraving. I still have a vision of my Nana sitting holding it and rubbing it like one would rosary beads. She never wore it, she carried it, and rubbed it. Of all the grandkids (and there was a lot) I was the athletic one, the tomboy one, I think my Nana saw herself in me and that’s why she left it to me. I have also never worn it, i just treasure it and remember her. 61227597-B076-42C4-A600-96BD7304B409.jpeg EEFA3AE5-3020-43A0-8D7E-FFC0C717C6E4.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ll have to get busy. I have a few very special pieces from both my Grandmas. And 1 from my great grandmother.
I don’t wear these pieces, except special occasions, and these are kept safely locked away. While I have many pieces worth considerably more $$$$ these inherited pieces are much more precious and totally unreplaceable.
i was lucky enough to inherit because I was trusted to 1. not to carelessly lose them 2. Not remodel them and 3. Not sell them.

Lovelly
Looking forward to seeing them
my mum left instructions not to sell her jewlery - yet i had friends tell me to, because she wouldn't know :(2
she would know !!!.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
First up. Other than her wedding ring, there is no other jewellery from my Nana (Dads Mum). They had no money, Poppy was gassed in WW2 and never had good health so anything that could be sold was sold while they struggled to raise and feed 8 kids. My dad was raised in a Humpy, literally a structure made of corrograted iron, they had a cold water tap, no hot water, no electricity. My Dad had a tough start to life.
This Medal was too precious to my Nana for her to sell. It is the gold medal she won in a Lifesaving Championship, she was the first woman to be awarded such an honour. You can’t read the engraving. I still have a vision of my Nana sitting holding it and rubbing it like one would rosary beads. She never wore it, she carried it, and rubbed it. Of all the grandkids (and there was a lot) I was the athletic one, the tomboy one, I think my Nana saw herself in me and that’s why she left it to me. I have also never worn it, i just treasure it and remember her. 61227597-B076-42C4-A600-96BD7304B409.jpeg EEFA3AE5-3020-43A0-8D7E-FFC0C717C6E4.jpeg

Wow its beautiful
My dad's family had 8 kids, Grandma died of cancer when dad was 15, my grandad was an alcoholic and a drug addict so times were always hard
i have some of her Asperdestera plant - i decorated it for Christmas 20191225_220319.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up, my Grandmas (Mother’s side) charm bracelet. I wore this as something old when I was married. There are stories for most the charms, I have since added a few more. The most precious charm is Grandmas wedding ring which when it no longer fit (it must be a size 4 or something) she had a gold centre put in and had ”Thelma and Tom” 2/2/1935 (date of their marriage) and on the other side the 3 children’s name Marilyn, Beverley (my mum) and Robert.
This I do occasionally wear, it has a great clasp and a safety chain so I don’t worry about losing it but at almost 80 grams it’s heavy. CEDBD0C6-102C-4E91-B176-C91F5198F8D4.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Next up, my Grandmas (Mother’s side) charm bracelet. I wore this as something old when I was married. There are stories for most the charms, I have since added a few more. The most precious charm is Grandmas wedding ring which when it no longer fit (it must be a size 4 or something) she had a gold centre put in and had ”Thelma and Tom” 2/2/1935 (date of their marriage) and on the other side the 3 children’s name Marilyn, Beverley (my mum) and Robert.
This I do occasionally wear, it has a great clasp and a safety chain so I don’t worry about losing it but at almost 80 grams it’s heavy. CEDBD0C6-102C-4E91-B176-C91F5198F8D4.jpeg

Its beautiful
I love love love what she did with her ring

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few things.
This 18k ring belonged to my Nana, Dad's mother. It was found among her things after she passed, broken and missing the diamond. I fixed it and replaced the stone with a white sapphire.
IMG_20180120_211717191.jpg

These gold pieces belonged to my other grandma, who we called "Situ" (grandma in Syrian dialect)
IMG_20180105_192001224.jpg
IMG_20180309_214541.jpg
IMG_20180324_151437.jpg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
So this might not be the right place but i don't just want to see Grandma's diamonds and natural sapphires, i want to see the inherited pearls and paste and man-made gems of her's that you also treasure

Inherited and gifted

I wish mum had given me stuff when she was still alive so i could have known more about some things

So often i see threads asking the value or authenticity of an inherited piece and i feel dismayed that something pretty may not be loved or worn and appreated because its not 'real', disregarding family history and sentiment

Im always inspired by some great ladies of history who mixed and matched real and faux

My great aunty had lots of lovelly (but terribly outdated by the 1970s) sparkly paste pieces that we would play with as kids - i think that's where i got my inner magpie from

As sad as it is they are long gone we certsinly enjoyed playing with them so all was not lost
And now i have her very real vintage diamond ER to remember her and her bling by.

So what highly sentimental pieces do you have from your nanna, great grandma, or even mum or aunty, or inlaw that you absolutly adore
real or otherwise ?
Or maybe its a tea cup ...or an entire tea set ?
What would you most be sad about, if after your demise, your family sent it off to the local charity shop unaware or unappreciative of your sentimentality ?

By the way im on a bit of a pearl thing at the moment so I'd love to see Granny's pearls - real or much loved faux

The first for me
is grandma's goldtone berry brooch.
I always loved this. I remember her wearing it on a sage green coat dress in the mid 1970s
One day im going to take it somewhere and get a Stirling silver copy made
the 2nd is her engagment ring
its small by PS standards, but would have been more than acceptable back in her day.
I've had it valued and its worth not an insignificant amount, my grandad would have saved up for it on a trademen's wage durring the depression-
it reminds me of as much of him as it does of her and im very lucky to have it as the oldest daughter of the only daughter, as i have 4 female cousins older than me who knew grandma for longer than i did

The eternity ring is from Dad to Mum when i was born

When Mum had altzimers she stopped wearing her ER - like she forgot it and Dad and us but she remembered her own parents and she wore her mother's ER
My sister saddly had to prize it off her finger at the nursing home as they could not guarantee its security

Even though the ER is worth much more than the brooch i love each equally just like my grandma loved all her grandchildren

I'm a sentimental old fool
So show me yours
20190504_135619.jpg 20190501_163434.jpg

I love seeing these treasures. They are beautiful!! I feel like I haven't seen you around on PS quite as much lately, and it is great to see you started this fabulous thread. I remember you had mentioned an ER that you inherited, and I have wanted to see it. It is gorgeous!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love seeing these treasures. They are beautiful!! I feel like I haven't seen you around on PS quite as much lately, and it is great to see you started this fabulous thread. I remember you had mentioned an ER that you inherited, and I have wanted to see it. It is gorgeous!!

Thank you Odette
truth be known its just hot here and ive been binge watching some netflex of late !
But my love for sparkle will not deminish !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few things.
This 18k ring belonged to my Nana, Dad's mother. It was found among her things after she passed, broken and missing the diamond. I fixed it and replaced the stone with a white sapphire.
IMG_20180120_211717191.jpg

These gold pieces belonged to my other grandma, who we called "Situ" (grandma in Syrian dialect)
IMG_20180105_192001224.jpg
IMG_20180309_214541.jpg
IMG_20180324_151437.jpg

Wow !
Situ's pieces are gorgouse !
And I love that you fixed Nana's ring

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
This last year I "inherited" a ring from my grandma. She's 95 and lives in a nursing home, so she had to give up her jewelry to keep it safe. This ring was actually her mother's (my great grandma) from 1923. My great grandma died during my grandmother's birth. This ring has always been on Grandma's hand my whole life. Now it is with me. A tiny- probably .25 to .30- oec in a hexagon frame with sapphires on the shoulders .
20200127_210630.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This last year I "inherited" a ring from my grandma. She's 95 and lives in a nursing home, so she had to give up her jewelry to keep it safe. This ring was actually her mother's (my great grandma) from 1923. My great grandma died during my grandmother's birth. This ring has always been on Grandma's hand my whole life. Now it is with me. A tiny- probably .25 to .30- oec in a hexagon frame with sapphires on the shoulders .
20200127_210630.jpg

Its beautiful
And much safer with you than at the nursing home
That's a sad fact of life

Isn't the gallery so pretty
I wonder if sapphires were the birthstone of your great grandma
Your grandma had quite a tragic start to life
I hope they are a kind caring nursing home

What finger do you wear it on ?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I am not wearing it. It's been worn for decades, never removed. (You wouldn't believe how long it took me to clean it, I didn't realize the diamond even sparkled til I scrubbed it!) The setting is worn, kind of delicate. I'm pondering if it might be more meaningful to pull the stone for something I can actually wear. For now, she's in the safe. ..

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not wearing it. It's been worn for decades, never removed. (You wouldn't believe how long it took me to clean it, I didn't realize the diamond even sparkled til I scrubbed it!) The setting is worn, kind of delicate. I'm pondering if it might be more meaningful to pull the stone for something I can actually wear. For now, she's in the safe. ..

It's such a beautiful setting

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the jewelry shared so far by @Daisys and Diamonds @CHRISTY-DANIELLE @Bron357 @stracci2000.
I have no jewelry from my grandmother or great grandmother sadly. They didn't wear much. I used to wear my great grandmother's ER but when I got engaged my mom took it back. Here are the few pics I do have.

My grandmother's ER

grandmasengagementring.jpg.png

My grandma's or great grandma's band

grandmasbandonpinky.jpg.png

grandmasbandprofile.jpg.png

My great grandma's ER-I can only find a profile photo right now.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 5.20.29 AM.png

I love the setting.

As far as I can remember right now that's it for jewelry from my grandmother and great grandmother.

Here's a faded 4 generations photo.
My great grandmother is holding me.

4generations.jpeg

The only jewelry I ever got as a gift from my family is the Cartier Black opal my parents gave me. My grandparents were not into jewelry. Way too frugal though super generous with us and the family they never bought "frivolous" things for themselves. It was a different generation. At least in my family. They grew up in the depression and knew very hard times. My grandfather left his home at age 14 due to abuse by his stepmother (his mom died at an early age) and neglect by his father. He made a good life for himself even at such a young age. He put himself through school and became a CPA. Met my grandma and they got married and had 2 kids. Saved everything they made to buy a house and raise a family. Jewelry wasn't on their radar but for my grandmother's modest ER.

@Daisys and Diamonds thanks for such a lovely thread and trip down memory lane. One more photo- my grandparents.

grandmaandgrandpa.jpg

Oh wait I do remember one piece of jewelry...my grandmother's pearls. I don't know what I did with them but I do have them! When I have more time I will find them and share. I don't wear pearls though I have collected quite a number of them.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my grandmother's wedding set. She was my mum's mum, and she and I were very close. All rings are 18ct gold, and very typical of the style at the time. My grandfather fought in WW2 and met my grandmother, 17 years his juniors and a nurse, who cared for him when he returned home. The Notebook always makes me think of them!

I just love the ornate work of grandma's engagement ring, it's quite heavy and in great condition. I would estimate the centre diamond is around 10 points or so, and is quite a pretty brown, almost with a tiny hint of pink, and is very sparkly. Her wedding band is 18ct gold with her and my grandfather's names engraved on the inside, I love that I can still read the engraving. Her eternity ring had silver/white gold plating which is engraved and etched with a leaf and scroll kind of design.

My grandparents were dairy farmers, so I don't think her rings got a lot of wear until they retired and sold the farm. She passed away almost 26 years ago, and I still miss her so much. We spent every weekend doing arts and crafts, baking, and going on car trips together, just she and I. So many precious memories are mine to keep, which is why I'm so thankful to be the one in possession of her rings.

84022345_156029799159011_2423392862491115520_n.jpg 83154062_615560869280277_6591027619548889088_n.jpg 83428117_119917332658354_1387969254942310400_n.jpg 84358931_270949323869247_6160994929569955840_n.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results