shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

Can I see some garnets?

Discussion in 'Colored Stones' started by ~JanuaryJem~, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~JanuaryJem~
    Rough_Rock

by ~JanuaryJem~ » Feb 12, 2005
    [​IMG]Hello I''m new to the board, I''ve been lurking for a while, I had no idea, they were a bunch of people out there, that obsess about diamonds, and stones and jewelry as much as I do, :)
    Well my name is Ivory. As you can tell by my user name, I was born in January, so was my husband.
    So I thougtht it would be romantic, to have my engagement ring with a Garnet. We have been married for 3 years, I must have changed my wedding set 5 times. Well I found one, I brought it a couple of weeks ago. It''s gorgeous. Better than I imagined. Here is the picture, I wish you can see it on my hand, but I don''t have a digi-camera. [​IMG] Gotta work on that. I also just ordered, a 3 mm heavy 14k gold band to wear with it, I''m so excited, I''ve long to be different, with my set, and this has alot of meaning to it being that I can say to people when they ask "Its OUR birthstone". And it LOOKS like an E-ring. Alot of garnets, I''ve looked at, they are usually set in white gold or silver, to have a gothic or antique look to it. I didn''t want that. So here is the picture, I wanted to see some more if that was possible. I love the deep red to it, also being red is one of my favorite colors. Ok I''m rambling now.
    Its .58ct cathedral setting. Brilliant cut, 6 way prong setting. And it''s not flimsy either, you can look at it and tell the quality. It''s weighs 4.8 grams. These are the specs from the place I brought it, I''m no expert. I''m very happy with my purchase.
    [​IMG]

2. strmrdr
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by strmrdr » Feb 12, 2005
    Awesome ring!!

3. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by canuk-gal » Feb 12, 2005
    HI:

Not a ring....but I just had these garnet earrings custom made--almost 2 carats each, briolette''s.

BTW, great garnet ring!!

cheers--Sharon

briolette1.JPG

4. ~JanuaryJem~
    Rough_Rock

by ~JanuaryJem~ » Feb 12, 2005
    Those briolette earrings are just gorgeous Sharon. [​IMG]I''ve never seen earrings like that before.Uh oh you got the wheels turning in my head again, LOL Thank you for sharing.

5. valeria101
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by valeria101 » Feb 13, 2005
    I can''t see why a garnet wouldn''t fir just right in any engagement ring setting out there. Not too many come with the option, but it isn''t too hard to put them together. [​IMG]

If you like red garnet, it would be fun to visit Prague: a surprising percentage of the old city shops are jewelers specializing in garnet jewelry.

Allot of expensive ruby doesn''t look any different. I could never understand that... Yours is the right choice, as far as I am concerned.

6. jenwill
    Brilliant_Rock

by jenwill » Feb 14, 2005
    I got 2 garnet rings in Prague...I don''t know if they are even real (they cost me US$18 each in 2002), but I love them like crazy because they remind me of my whirlwind 22 hour side visit to Prague during a business trip. I cannot wait to go back....what an amazing place. I will post pics of them when I get home...they are set in silver (very cheap!) and I stack them. I just love the glow they give off in indirect light situations, or warm ''candlelight'' restaurants. In regular lighting they are very dark...so I know they can''t be very high quality, but I still adore them!

7. Addlepated
    Shiny_Rock

by Addlepated » Feb 14, 2005
    I just got these pics today and I''m plastering them everywhere. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

It''s a color change garnet which turns from blue-green to red depending on the lighting.

8. Richard M.
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by Richard M. » Feb 15, 2005
    I forgot to say on the other thread: that''s a beautiful CC garnet, Addlepated! Excellent color change. I''m sure you''ll be delighted with it.

Richard M.

9. ~JanuaryJem~
    Rough_Rock

by ~JanuaryJem~ » Feb 16, 2005
    That''s beautiful addlepated, I''ve never heard of color CC garnets until I came here. I thought they only come in red. [​IMG]

10. valeria101
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by valeria101 » Feb 17, 2005
    Noooooooo.... the only color garnets do not come in is blue (not counting the shade above). Everything else is out there from colorless (glauco) to black (melanite). If you ever want to collect garnets, you can end up with the entire rainbow. Most are not all that expensive either unless quite large [​IMG]

11. rbrilliant
    Rough_Rock

by rbrilliant » Feb 17, 2005
    Here is a picture of a demantoid garnet. It is my favorite garnet. It has a deep vivid green color that no other gemstone displays. It usually comes from Russia and can be thousands of dollars per carat.

demantoid.jpg

12. ~JanuaryJem~
    Rough_Rock

by ~JanuaryJem~ » Feb 17, 2005
    Oh My that demantoid is georgous.[​IMG] Hey I just recieved my wedding band to wear with the ring. It looks so beautiful together. Wow now I have a new collection to start. (garnets)[​IMG]

13. Richard M.
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by Richard M. » Feb 17, 2005

14. valeria101
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by valeria101 » Feb 17, 2005
    My English gets sometimes out of controll... I meant that is the one and only case of blue garnet: the daylight color of color change ones. [​IMG]

15. strmrdr
    Super_Ideal_Rock

16. strmrdr
    Super_Ideal_Rock

17. strmrdr
    Super_Ideal_Rock

18. strmrdr
    Super_Ideal_Rock

19. strmrdr
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.