shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I resize this antique ring

sphillip11

Rough_Rock
I inherited this ring when my grandmother died and used to wear it quite a bit because it's in great condition and is a perfect size 6 which fits my left hand ring finger perfectly. Of course now that I'm engaged I'm wearing my engagement ring on that finger and my right hand ring finger is too big for this ring. :(

The ring is rather old which I can tell because my great-grandmother's initials are engraved in it (with her maiden name!). As such, I'm sort of worried about trying to get it resized because of it's age and that I'd be worried about losing the engraving. It seems like sizing up would be impossible (I think it's rose gold) because it would be hard to match. Would it make sense to size down to wear as a pinky ring? Or do I just resign myself to the fact that it doesn't fit me and hope I have daughters with smaller fingers. :)

photo_1_1_3.jpg

photo_2_2_4.jpg

photo_3_3_.jpg

Spayer

Rough_Rock
You should be able to resize any ring made of real metal.

Assuming it hasn't already been resized, in which case, the metal will be too thin, and might break.

It can STILL be resized by adding more metal to the shank (right at the opposite side from the stones.

Both processes are kind of expensive, but worth it for your grandmother's ring, right?

Take it to a GOOD, REPUTABLE jeweler, and ask them...they should be able to do the work, but, since they are good, they might cost a bit. But then, you know you can trust them, too.

This information is accurate, because I just did EXACTLY THAT. I took my grandmother's rings, which no longer fit my fingers, to my jeweler (who does all my work, repairs, watch batteries, made my engagement ring, etc.) Because of the cost, we went with adding some gold to a ring that had separated, and resizing it that way (NOT cheap, but worth it!) and haven't done anything with the others, yet.

ONE CAVEAT: You can only go up 2 sizes from the original size...that's when they told me the metal would be compromised.

Also: The engraving shouldn't be an issue. That doesn't LOOK like rose gold (but that could be the photo/coloring), and sizing up only involves stretching the gold...matching the color is NOT that difficult...You'd want to explain you want it to match (the first time they did my ring, they didn't...who cares? No one sees that part, but this time they matched it perfectly).

sphillip11

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great info! I'm glad to hear it's possible...I guess I just need to pop into some jewelers and see what they say. I really only need about a half size bigger as the current size is perfect on my left hand but my right knuckle is just a little too large and I think a 6.5 would do it. Now I have to figure out how to find a reputable jeweler to do the resizing...

It's interesting that it may not be rose gold. It's definitely not yellow gold...I put the ring next to some yellow gold jewelry I have and they're distinctly different. Black Hills Gold? I'm even sure what that is but it seems similar in color to the rosier hue of BHG. The pictures don't show the color very well.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be rose gold, I have a rose gold antique ring that is almost yellow gold or it looks like a cross between yellow and rose gold its a very soft pinky yellow colour and not the stronger pink that you see rose gold looks like today. They had different mixes of metals back then.

Provided it has not been resized before they should be able to stretch it a little to make it a fraction bigger for you, but take it and check, some old rings that were made out of rose gold are very soft and can be damaged really easily again this has to do with using different alloys to what they use today, I believe. You should not lose the engraving if they can do it because they would be working using the bottom band part not up the top to make it a bit bigger. I don't think you will know for sure unless you take it to a good quality jeweller and ask.

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
There is always risk when you work on a vintage/antique ring. I say this as someone whose antique ring was significantly damaged during a shank replacement, and based on many stories I have read. Also, matching alloys perfectly can be hard to do. If you really want to size it spit can be worn I would seek out an antique jeweler such as Jewels by Erica Grace, whose bench is accustomed to restoring antique pieces. Any extra cost will be worth it being done right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results