shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I please have help with settings?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have this 3.35 ct diamond that was previously set as a semi bezel three stone. In that setting the diamond was a soft yellow and it was gorgeous!

3F3FB7D8-5AEC-42A7-A418-98D22561D869.jpeg

I took it to my jeweler to resize. They initially say they can, but then later decide they’re not doing it. I want to stick it in a temp setting that showcases the beautiful yellow! But I also want this setting to be easy to resize locally. DK is actually cheaper than my local jeweler but shipping the ring gives me anxiety. Plus it takes that much longer. I like popping into my jeweler almost immediately after they call me to pick up my stuff.

I need easy to resize because 1) I’ve already resized my old ring 3 times since getting engaged. And 2) we plan to have kids and I don’t want to put this aside for any period of time.

I love almost everything so it’s hard for me to commit to a single idea. There are honestly very, very few things I don’t like. I wish I had a distinct style, but I don’t. I want to get my thoughts/ ideas in order before I take this to the person who I bought the ring from. I know she’s doing jewelry design now so I was going to hire her to help me get things finalized.

Does anyone have thoughts/ ideas?

Reactions: AV_

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to add, I have it in a solitaire now but I do not think I want to stick with the simple solitaire. I feel the solitaire with my wedding band really showcases my finger’s muffin top...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Tedious option: have it done one size larger than you need by DK with sizing beads. The ring is very beautiful!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Tedious option: have it done one size larger than you need by DK with sizing beads. The ring is very beautiful!

Do you think that I’d have an issue with possibly losing the ring? My current size (7) is a nice compromise for ever fluctuating ring size throughout the year... in the winter it spins and in the summer I have crazy muffin top and would sometimes just wear one ring. But the base of my finger is the largest part of my finger and I’m worried it could easily fall off and which point I’m probably never getting it back.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is Gypsy's questionnaire that we used to use to figure out what people should get. I'd start by filling this out for us:

1. What is your budget?

2. How old are you guys? And what metro area are you near?

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grunge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones - I'll start you off here: you want a yellow head and white everything else, it seems.

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather? Brands are helpful here.

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her? - Not relevant because you already are going custom, so obviously aren't getting a branded item.

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)? - ok, everything. We've covered that. Probably not solitaire.

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

15. Are there any cultural preferences for color and clarity that may be applicable (many far east cultures have strong preferences). - Not relevant

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think that I’d have an issue with possibly losing the ring? My current size (7) is a nice compromise for ever fluctuating ring size throughout the year... in the winter it spins and in the summer I have crazy muffin top and would sometimes just wear one ring. But the base of my finger is the largest part of my finger and I’m worried it could easily fall off and which point I’m probably never getting it back.
Hi!
How about getting it sized to a 7.5 and wearing ring sizer huggies. I’m not sure I know exactly what they are called but they are plastic pieces you put on the shank. I use them all the time bc I have large knuckles so all my rings need to be sized slightly bigger to get over my knuckle. Once they are over my knuckle they are loose so the ring huggies really help to tighten them up and keep them in place.

Sorry I’m not much help with helping you pick out a setting, but I honestly wouldn't attempt to have another ring made until I’m certain of what I want. That could take a long time and tastes change over the years. What you like now may be different in a year or two. You’ve already spent money on one setting that you are now selling and you don’t want to repeat that I’m sure.
Why not just use this setting until you know for sure. Send it to DK and have him size it right and just wear it for the time being.
Also if you’re worried about losing it then have it insured for peace of mind.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with AV - it sounds like you love your old setting and what it does for your stone. Can you get it made slightly larger so it cuts out the muffin top in summer and just stack lots of bands with it in winter? If you put a tighter fitting band closer to your knuckle it would stop it sliding off, as that seems a big worry? Or use noodles?

I have similar issues with my fingers changing size from summer to winter and I have my rings sized towards the largest I need and just add in extra bands in winter. There are still some days in summer when I can’t physically get my ring on my finger though - then I just wear a RHR on my left hand instead, as my right hand is half a size larger again.

Your old setting definitely maximises the colour of your centre - white side stones in white metal, contrasting with the yellow bezel around your centre, works really well. I’d echo those ideas if you do change the setting and want to amp up the colour.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Do you think that I’d have an issue with possibly losing the ring?

No.

If you worry, there might be some way for the jeweler to extend insurance at some cost; in fact, I am not sure if it is possible everywhere, every time.

I am skittish about botched repairs.

-
My current size (7) is a nice compromise for ever fluctuating ring size throughout the year...

Isn't this true for everyone? I am stuck with the idea that one size variation is a conservative norm, and two is not rare.

It has to be said,
I like this setting so much, I couldn't decide on anything else either. Having only small cutouts in the bezels, lets both illusions - of a continuous frame & uninterrupted brilliance, hold so well, I do not have to talk myself into it!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Here is Gypsy's questionnaire that we used to use to figure out what people should get. I'd start by filling this out for us:

1. What is your budget?

2. How old are you guys? And what metro area are you near?

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grunge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones - I'll start you off here: you want a yellow head and white everything else, it seems.

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather? Brands are helpful here.

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her? - Not relevant because you already are going custom, so obviously aren't getting a branded item.

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)? - ok, everything. We've covered that. Probably not solitaire.

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

15. Are there any cultural preferences for color and clarity that may be applicable (many far east cultures have strong preferences). - Not relevant

1. What is your budget? I'd like to keep this under $1000.

2. How old are you guys? And what metro area are you near? Late 20's, very close to Seattle.

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living. Office work.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grunge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes? Very lazy. Most skinny jeans and neutral long sleeved shirts or neutral sweaters with sneakers in the summer and boots in the winter. I'll do short sleeves on the rare occasion it's warm.

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones - I'll start you off here: you want a yellow head and white everything else, it seems. Yes

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather? Brands are helpful here. No specific style but everything is neutral. I'd love to fill my house with antique furniture I've carefully picked out through antique shopping/ browsing Craigslist/ thrifting but after the coffee table fiasco where it took me 3 coffee tables to settle I've decided we're not decorating and buying furniture on an as needed basis.

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together? Not put together, unfortunately.

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red? I'm not a big handbag person. I usually have 1-2 black purses at a time. I typically avoid anything with monogram/ big logos but recently purchased a Gucci bag with their monogram all over because I liked the bag style enough to overlook that. I cannot carry a purse that isn't black for whatever reason. I tried a nice blush colored purse but that ended up being a no-go and it's in the donation pile now

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC). We live in a suburb of Seattle but in a weird pocket that feels a little more rural (some farm animals, larger lots, we're in unincorporated King county).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind? 2 dogs, 5 chickens, a cat, & fish again soon. I also expect to get more chickens, some duck, some quail, and will have a pond made if we have enough time next year after all our other outdoor projects.

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? I'm a very plain person. I like things simple and as fuss free as possible. I'm horribly indecisive so I'm forever exploring all my options (which probably leads to more indecisiveness).

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly? Everything is simple. I've turned my old diamond into a solitaire pendant. I do not wear earrings. I have a Hawaiian bangle. I don't like anything too ornate on myself and instead of having many pieces I'd like to instead have a small amount of staple pieces I wear all the time.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
How about getting it sized to a 7.5 and wearing ring sizer huggies. I’m not sure I know exactly what they are called but they are plastic pieces you put on the shank. I use them all the time bc I have large knuckles so all my rings need to be sized slightly bigger to get over my knuckle. Once they are over my knuckle they are loose so the ring huggies really help to tighten them up and keep them in place.

Sorry I’m not much help with helping you pick out a setting, but I honestly wouldn't attempt to have another ring made until I’m certain of what I want. That could take a long time and tastes change over the years. What you like now may be different in a year or two. You’ve already spent money on one setting that you are now selling and you don’t want to repeat that I’m sure.
Why not just use this setting until you know for sure. Send it to DK and have him size it right and just wear it for the time being.
Also if you’re worried about losing it then have it insured for peace of mind.

My worry about the resizing was that when I tried to take my old ring to my local jeweler to go up to a 7.5 they refused. They told me I'd lose that one because the base of my finger is the largest part and it'd fall right off in the winter. I do have my jewelry insured but I'm worried that I'd never find anything round, large, well cut, and in a yellow I like even if the insurance paid out the full appraised amount.

I have thought about making them 3 separate bezels which I think would solve my resizing locally issue and he did say he could do it for not a lot of money at all but I'm not 100% that would solve my issue so I haven't made moves. I also wasn't sure if at that point I should change the size of the side diamonds and make it a forever ring? I'm honestly driving myself crazy.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I agree with AV - it sounds like you love your old setting and what it does for your stone. Can you get it made slightly larger so it cuts out the muffin top in summer and just stack lots of bands with it in winter? If you put a tighter fitting band closer to your knuckle it would stop it sliding off, as that seems a big worry? Or use noodles?

I have similar issues with my fingers changing size from summer to winter and I have my rings sized towards the largest I need and just add in extra bands in winter. There are still some days in summer when I can’t physically get my ring on my finger though - then I just wear a RHR on my left hand instead, as my right hand is half a size larger again.

Your old setting definitely maximises the colour of your centre - white side stones in white metal, contrasting with the yellow bezel around your centre, works really well. I’d echo those ideas if you do change the setting and want to amp up the colour.

I really do. And I actually wouldn't mind stacking more bands when it's not as snug... not sure why I hadn't thought of that. How thick should the bands be? I've never been able to stack successfully and looking I think it's because I have short, fat fingers but usually go for 3mm wide bands.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
No.

If you worry, there might be some way for the jeweler to extend insurance at some cost; in fact, I am not sure if it is possible everywhere, every time.

I am skittish about botched repairs.

-

Isn't this true for everyone? I am stuck with the idea that one size variation is a conservative norm, and two is not rare.

It has to be said,
I like this setting so much, I couldn't decide on anything else either. Having only small cutouts in the bezels, lets both illusions - of a continuous frame & uninterrupted brilliance, hold so well, I do not have to talk myself into it!

I have insurance on my ring but I'm worried I won't be able to easily replace the center with one similar even if the insurance company paid out the full appraised amount. DK wrote the appraisal so I trust it's correct. My local jeweler also declined to resize my old ring a final time because they said I'd end up losing it... which I figured had to be true. Why wouldn't they want to take my money?

My friends and coworkers seem to be okay as far as I've seen (although I've never directly asked). I notice they can wear their rings all year round without looking like their fingers are being choked. And in the past my coworker has asked why I don't wear my rings all year round and I had to explain that my fingers are just too fat in the summer.

That being said, I've gone from a size 0 to a size 4 since getting engaged. My weight is finally stabilizing so I'm hoping that part of the past resizing was just me gaining weight. I could also lose weight I guess...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are not many stones like yours offered, but I suspect that suitable rough is not any rarer than the near colourless, but not often cut as rounds unless you ask. Jonathan's joint makes perfect light colors as a matter of fact [where 'perfect' takes color into account - www], so they may well be the reliable sourse of a replacement, should lightening strike. You might wish to ask, hypothetically, for peace of mind.

I have lost several rings in my young years, trying to wear two, three sizes over mine! [ill fitting gifts]

[weight... Mine changed up when I ditched sport for academic travel; I'd be a dead fool to go back! It took some five years for my body to know what to do with the least amount of muscle required of it ,-|(-. Then, there have been ten years without change & I do not have to think of it. The five year transformation was tedious.]

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you leaning toward a solitaire or another 3-stone?

And what exactly was wrong/did you not like with the old/original setting?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I really think resizing beads are the way to go, as they can be removed and added as needed.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really do. And I actually wouldn't mind stacking more bands when it's not as snug... not sure why I hadn't thought of that. How thick should the bands be? I've never been able to stack successfully and looking I think it's because I have short, fat fingers but usually go for 3mm wide bands.

I love your current setting - I think it does great things for your stone. I’d try thinner bands then you can stack one or multiple bands depending on how much tighter you need to make your ring fit as the seasons change. A mix and match selection of plain and delicate eternities give lots of flexibility too. You can get some fairly cheap bands on Etsy to try out options, and with your engagement setting you could easily mix white and yellow metals in a stack - it’s the perfect setting for that!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your going to resize a lot a strong full bezel center with a plain die struck shank welded to it.
Resize the shank as needed and re-shank it too.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
There are not many stones like yours offered, but I suspect that suitable rough is not any rarer than the near colourless, but not often cut as rounds unless you ask. Jonathan's joint makes perfect light colors as a matter of fact [where 'perfect' takes color into account - www], so they may well be the reliable sourse of a replacement, should lightening strike. You might wish to ask, hypothetically, for peace of mind.

I have lost several rings in my young years, trying to wear two, three sizes over mine! [ill fitting gifts]

[weight... Mine changed up when I ditched sport for academic travel; I'd be a dead fool to go back! It took some five years for my body to know what to do with the least amount of muscle required of it ,-|(-. Then, there have been ten years without change & I do not have to think of it. The five year transformation was tedious.]

I might just take my policy back to Jewelers Mutual. I have it on my homeowners pol but I may take the ring specifically to JM as I’ve heard they’re better about less common stones.

I used to be really active back when we lived in HI because the weather was usually nice and it’s a relatively safe place. I used to go jogging all the time/ hiking, but losing weight is def on the to do list. I figured I’d just do it after having;))

Are you leaning toward a solitaire or another 3-stone?

And what exactly was wrong/did you not like with the old/original setting?

3 stone. I think solitaires look funny on me and emphasize how chubby my finger is. My old setting needs to be sent to DK to resize. I like DK and he’s cheaper than my local jewelerbut I want to be able do this locally.

I really think resizing beads are the way to go, as they can be removed and added as needed.

I think I’ll do this + stacking going forward.

I love your current setting - I think it does great things for your stone. I’d try thinner bands then you can stack one or multiple bands depending on how much tighter you need to make your ring fit as the seasons change. A mix and match selection of plain and delicate eternities give lots of flexibility too. You can get some fairly cheap bands on Etsy to try out options, and with your engagement setting you could easily mix white and yellow metals in a stack - it’s the perfect setting for that!

I think I will try to build a collection of cheaper bands for just this. Plus I do like the look of bands... I had considered selling everything off and getting one thick band to rule them all.

I think you need a new local jeweller who is more skilled and less bossy lol

Lol! That resizing thing really annoyed me since they saw the ring twice before agreeing to resize. I did briefly look for a new jeweler but the other one I found that was willing to resize was 2x the price of DK and was quite a ways away from me. I do like my local jeweler though. They’re very nice and conveniently only 5 min away from me. I love being able to pop in super quick to grab my stuff/ ask questions/ drop stuff off.

If your going to resize a lot a strong full bezel center with a plain die struck shank welded to it.
Resize the shank as needed and re-shank it too.

I’m starting to lean more toward full bezel. I think I needed to get all this out there to be able to align my thoughts. I’m thinking full bezel plus sizing beads so maybe I can hopefully one and done it. I do like the style of the old setting so I’ll keep that. I just ordered a bunch of little CZs to see what proportions I like best but they won’t arrive until Jan.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are near Seattle, I’d pop into Sholdt. Based on your responses further up, I think their aesthetic and style really might be up your alley, and their pricing isn’t as insane as some might think.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I still don't get it. The semi bezel three-stone was beautiful. But you took the diamond out because it's not resizeable? Why isn't it resizeable? The band isn't full eternity is it?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@the_mother_thing I will! I didn't realize they were here.

@Lessics My jeweler agreed to resize and then refused to resize due to the semi bezel design so now I'd have to ship down to CA so DK can resize but I'd really prefer to be able to do this kind of thing locally.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so from your responses, I do think a bezel, semi-bezel, or 6/8-prong yellow gold head/white heads + shank three-stone sounds like the right move. A three-stone will be easily resizable/reshankable, and the white sides really help the center stone pop.

If you want it to be resized by your local jeweler, I would consult your local jeweler on what settings they would be willing to resize, and possibly have them make it.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Popping in late. So you have some options in Seattle area.2nd Chapter vintage is up there and they may have a local person to recommend. I find that people who work on vintage usually are more comfortable doing this sort of stuff. The Gemstone Project is in Pullman but she uses DK right?

I really like the idea of getting that noodle/curly thing from amazon and trying it during the winter. sounds like an easy fix for the time being. The beads are perm so that would be 2nd choice if you went with sizing up.

I am a band fan (thank you PS). I too get overflowing finger issues, so a few options. Get a few really cheap thin spacer bands. tight enough to keep the main ring where it belongs. The go wild with bands, but only buy a size up. I have noticed that eternities need a little more room than smooth bands. I am a 7 with my ER. I have the following that wear super comfy and do not feel like they slip, except the 8s when it is super cold.

Belais band may be an 8
Ruby eternity is 8
2.5mm diamond eternity 7.75

emerald eternity 7.25
Bezel eternity is 7.5 with 2 spacers in the back

My personal opinion is that bands as thick as your ER band and as high are the most flattering, but neither you nor I have much band showing so I have some that are 2mm and my thickest is 3.4mm. I got some great advice to order a variety of sizes and widths in CZ or just inexpensive costume bands to see what I like and what works. I don't feel like it is hard to sell a band in the 7-8.5 range, mainly because they will fit the middle fingers of most of the 6-6.5 crowd.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@CSpan Sorry I thought I responded. :confused: I’ve been so scattered lately.

Your bezel band is gorgeous! At some point I need to go up to Seattle. I have some personal errands I’ve been putting off because the city just stressed me out but I’ll def check out everyone’s suggestions when I go.

I’ll also look for a thread on the Gemstone Project. She’s not that far given we head out that way often enough.

I haven’t worn any rings due to a recent hand injury and wanting to keep everything super clean but when I put my ring on today it didn’t feel so bad. I might just wait a bit before upgrading. Being indecisive is the worst...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results