shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get your opinion on my fireplace reno?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
So instead of impulse buying a ring I found I decided to impulse re-do my fireplace!

I bought a pretty Carrara marble tile and will have to redo the hearth. I’m thinking either painting it white or going with oak.

For the oak, I was thinking something maybe like this but with that middle piece flush with the sides.

My house is 92 years old, I want it to look like it fits with the old house in the PNW aesthetic.

Per old listing photos (it sold to a flipper before we bought it) we may have hardwood under the carpet. But I don’t know if it’s still there or salvageable. If it’s not, I’ll be replacing it with oak flooring once the carpet is done.

Opinions?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m in the wrong forum and have asked for this to be moved.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I dislike oak tbh.
Our living room has oak floors & fireplace (was there when I moved in) and its gotten quite orangey over the years & clashes with the cool tones of the rest of my decor.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I dislike oak tbh.
Our living room has oak floors & fireplace (was there when I moved in) and its gotten quite orangey over the years & clashes with the cool tones of the rest of my decor.

Thanks! I was leaning toward white but thought it might be too expected.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
without seeing the rest of the room, i feel a marble hearth is wonderful not just aesthetically but stone holds warmth and gently radiates it back into the room. so it is form and function

a white fireplace will be more pleasing with carrara marble

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think white sounds beautiful! But I am biased. Ours is white too lol.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
without seeing the rest of the room, i feel a marble hearth is wonderful not just aesthetically but stone holds warmth and gently radiates it back into the room. so it is form and function

a white fireplace will be more pleasing with carrara marble

The rest of the room is terrible. Everything is greige and cheap looking. I plan to redo the floors, drywall, and ceilings later should we decide to stick around long term.

The house was previously abandoned and then flipped (which is when we bought it). But I have big dreams that it looks like a nice, old house again.

I think white sounds beautiful! But I am biased. Ours is white too lol.

Thanks! Sounds like white it is!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
wow, sounds like you've got your hands full! homes are so much fun to do! of course, it can also be quite stressful and all-consuming. but i do find it tremendously rewarding though. one step at a time, and it is going to look, as you envision it. older homes have so much charm!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I typed hearth but I mean mantle. Brain is not fully functioning today...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
wow, sounds like you've got your hands full! homes are so much fun to do! of course, it can also be quite stressful and all-consuming. but i do find it tremendously rewarding though. one step at a time, and it is going to look, as you envision it. older homes have so much charm!

I really like old houses too. It’s funny cause our first house was over 100 years old and my coworker just couldn’t understand why I’d want an older house.

As a side thought, it’d be nice if they had a reference website of old house styles in each region/ common materials used/ whatever else may be pertinent. That’d be an interesting website to just browse all day. Like a PS but for old homes!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4cfbfed4792f41674a71908c6be34c9c--marble-hearth-marble-fireplace-surround.jpg

I think a lot of people tend to take them out if there's no structural reason for them. Is yours this large or smaller?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker

how's your mantle hearth fireplace coming along=)2??

We just finished prepping the surface for tiling this week!

The previous owners tiled on to the brick and then tiled over that tile because they did a terrible job the first time. Demo & prep took way longer than expected.

But the wood stove goes in Wednesday so I need to get this done this weekend.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i LOVE wood stoves!! they heat so efficiently without producing much emissions. is it wood burning??

yes, demo and prep is not fun but take your time, the fun part is just ahead

we have this one

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
i LOVE wood stoves!! they heat so efficiently without producing much emissions. is it wood burning??

yes, demo and prep is not fun but take your time, the fun part is just ahead

we have this one

I love the stand alone ones! if we didn’t have a fireplace I would have done that. They’re a lot more charming IMO and I really like the idea of being able to cook on it in case power goes out.

In our old house we got a stand alone pellet stove and it made our house so warm. We’ve been flipping back and forth between we were smart to buy a wood stove and we should have bought a pellet stove insert but I’m thinking we made the right decision... We had to have 4 large trees removed this year (too close to the house) so at least we’ll have plenty of firewood for next year.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
there's nothing quite like a wood burning fire. stand alones are really nice but good wood buring inserts are great too.

there are many good stoves to choose from. did you get a wood stove with a catalytic??

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
there's nothing quite like a wood burning fire. stand alones are really nice but good wood buring inserts are great too.

there are many good stoves to choose from. did you get a wood stove with a catalytic??

Oh I have no idea. We’re getting the Expedition II. I went with what I liked the look of the best, what fit our fireplace while still being able to heat the sq footage of our house, and what I could get installed ASAP because apparently this is the busy season. This was all last minute. We had considered doing it next year but decided to it this year instead. We figured we may not stay in our home long term so we should get as much use out of it as possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results