shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get some ruby help? Rush request - he wants to buy *tonight*

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus I suspect it is nonsense to call pink a modifier of red, but I am running out of words for these things! It would be nice to have a map of corudum shades to poke at instead of name- calling colors & I've seen such done by labs when color grading debates were raging. The saturated pink & purple 'sapphires' are closer to ruby red than to any other stone - so I am not ashamed to count them with ruby, at least for my sake [The market, is someone else]

Mmmm I think pink is ill defined anyway

I cant remember what makes you see a 'pink modifier' and I am not sure what that even means exactly. But it does make sense to make it all relative to a colour chart. But it might be becoming a moot point at this stage anyway, since the stone picked sounds lovely and seems to be a resolution in any case.
5961410269_3b531a1ff9_b.jpg

Edited to say there is clearly someway to get a more precise statement interns of what colour your monitor is emitting at least which might be the most satisfying benchmark available
But that would be a lot of effort.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@qubitasaurus What I am wishing for is a color chart of corundum comming out of the groud, not that it'd make me happy - there is nothing like seeing it all. [www - short, www - longer]

Ending thread hijack

Last edited:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would suggest getting the Gemewizard app for your phone.

These colors are considered Ruby

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 3.20.53 PM.png

Within each color, there is variation in Tone and Saturation like this.
The numbers 30_5_4 where 5 is the tone, and 4 the saturation. Most people get tone and saturation confused. In gems, the words mean something different than you normal photo editing software.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 3.21.49 PM.png

and this

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 3.21.14 PM.png

The ones marked GEM would be the trade preferred and most expensive, followed by AAA, AA etc.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's here!!

Absolutely perfect shade of red :love:

It does have a window that I believe we could mitigate (not close, but mitigate) with careful setting... Ex. perhaps with a metal cross or some other simple pattern under the stone rather than an open doughnut. She wants side diamonds ::)

SPINEL_2.jpg

SPINEL_3.jpg

SPINEL_7.jpg

SPINEL_14.jpg

SPINEL_11.jpg

SPINEL_10.jpg

SPINEL_15.jpg

SPINEL_6.jpg

SPINEL_13.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautoful! And it would be a wonderful three stone with diamonds. I would love to see mixed cuts in this.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PrecisionGem Thanks so much for sharing this tool! I downloaded the iOS app - it’s really helpful to see a visual of how these colour denomination concepts work together.

I seem to have the most difficulty judging yellows, especially yellows erring green...

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
I really hate to party-poop but I see too much brown and the window would bug me after a while. However, always a questions of price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a dark spinel but I guess if that's what they like.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 3 stone idea, maybe OMCs?

@PrecisionGem thank you for the tool!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered a red spinel from Finewater once - not cheap. Color looked nothing like the studio shots, it was very disappointing considering I had to spend close to 500$ for import fees and ship back with insurance.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
VividRed, so you are in EU then? Sorry for being snoopy, just because I, too, suffer from import regulations in EU professionally.

The US, as always, has the far cleverer system for trade, economically that is.

BTW, these EU import/export rules for ecommerce will all change next year, meaning during this year. They tried to do the right thing but, as always, failed by setting to miserly limits, for example the old rule was import under 25euro is VAT free (ridiculously low), in the US that is between $1000 and $5000 depending where you are (salestax).

Then Bruessels realized it doesn't make sense to collect 22% from 35euro from every china import with huge personal cost for the ecommerce buyers who had to take a day off to go to a special import tax collections place, perhaps one hour drive away, and pay 22% of 35 euros (like 7euro), all serviced by 5 government clerks (each costing 50euro/hour).

So in the EU thought oh, this 25 euro is confusing, so we cancel that, and make it easier (!!!)for amounts up to, tatatatat, laugh out: 150 euro (barely pays fedex).

You still need to pay VAT on even one euro import. Only now, under 150 you can fill out a dozen online forms to pay VAT online (still needs paying, also for 12euro telephone-charger), and over 150 the old rules stay. Total chaos will rein. Add Brexit and leave cooking....

sorry, not really on topic. Shall I start a thread on the new EU rules? It affects all EU gem buyers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results