shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get some feedback on this Radiant Aset

terryrayhi

Rough_Rock
I am new to buying a diamond and I was wondering what some people who know more about diamonds could tell me about this diamond and the Aset in particular

The diamond specs are
1.55 Carat Radiant cut
FL clarity
Color E
Florescence None
Excellent Symmetry
Excellent Polish
Table 66%
Depth 68.7%
Length to width ratio 1.29

Thanks in Advance!!

_19735.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, it doesn't look very good. Here is a better radiant ASET for you to see the difference.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10221/

Ohh, and this is gorgeous should you be interested in a square radiant!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12189/

I really think it is hard to find great radiants, but they do exist. If I were looking for one, I'd be having GOG look for me, because they are able to find well cut ones from these examples.

terryrayhi

Rough_Rock
Ugggg... Yes there is a big difference... Unfortunately I need to stick to a rectangular diamond as the engagement setting is a cast in type that was previously set up for a rectangular diamond. so is it the cut quality that gives it such a bad ASET?
I need to stick pretty close to these specifications
Length 7 - 7.5 mm
Width 6.2-6.5 mm

Thanks in advance

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you bought a setting that is already made? Can it be returned? It is FAR easier to buy the diamond and have the setting made to fit the diamond. It would be very sad to have to buy a poorly cut diamond just to fit a setting.

Yes, cut is the most important feature of a diamond and seeing more color in the ASET is important. If you absolutely have to stick with those measurements, your best bet is still to contact GOG because they call in stones, do the light performance checks, and will make you a video to compare stones like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckygaF4SYbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTj4CMSXGOE&index=204&list=UUe_V0Cpb5TXhi2j80WFLuLA

The first video will help you learn a little more about radiant performance, too.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is good if you want a crushed ice radiant

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

terryrayhi

Rough_Rock
I kind of would like to stay under 14K... I started out at like 8K but I tend to keep upgrading and upgrading what I want to spend... I guess it is forever so I might as well make it a good one!!

terryrayhi

Rough_Rock
I really like a bright "crushed Ice" Diamond! I am waiting for a Ideal scope on this diamond also!

terryrayhi

Rough_Rock
OK here is the "Real" ASET and a Idealscope? Can I get feedback?

rad_1.jpg

rad_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still not liking it...too much white (leakage).

I think crushed iced long radiants are tough to find (without leakage).

Edit - You might want to work with someone like GOG who has a good eye and can
focus on your size specs.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are looking for a bright stone (and who doesn't want that), you can do better. Not only is there alot of leakage, but the light return that you do see in the ideal scope is primarily low angle (green in aset) and not as intense. There also does not appear to be much contrast (blue in ASET) so sparkle may be diminished as well.

Edit- I'm talking about the images you posted, not about the other diamond that has been suggested.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
So.much.white. I agree with others that you can do better. You should see way more reds too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bryan- In my experience, a lot of really lovely radiant cuts show a lot of green on ASET
In many cases Red ( which can be desirable in other types of cuts) can be not so great on a radiant.
It totally depends on the type of Radiant Cut.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stones on the page Bryan linked to are one type of radiant- and in such cases, the aset may be interpreted in a manner similar to a round brilliant.
But there are other types of radiant cuts where aset needs to be interpreted differently.
Put simply, light bounces around less in a round brilliant, as compared to what is sometimes referred to as a "Crushed Ice" type of stone- Radiant Cut, in this case.
There's no debate that the individual flashes coming off the larger facets in a round brilliant are brighter than light which has bounced around inside the diamond a few times off of much smaller facets.
BUT- that single, provable aspect does not determine beauty.
Many people prefer smaller, more numerous flashes. Many people do not like the patterning.
Therefore implying that the "brighter the better" based on reflector technology misses a very important point about taste.
And specifically, sometimes red in the middle of a radiant cut stone cut to behave more like a round brilliant, will look like a dark hole in the middle of the stone, when viewed real life.
Red is not always good, green- and even white- is not always bad

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding budget, you are paying a big premium with E IF. You can easily go to F VS2 in a radiant and still have a very white stone.

I don't think you answered...is there no way this setting can be returned??? That is really restricting you from finding the best diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1404334436|3705463 said:
It is good if you want a crushed ice radiant

And maybe that is the bottom line. There are better radiants in terms of cut and light return, but maybe not in the crushed ice category. So if that is what you want and you are restricted to a certain size because of the setting, then you are going to have to make compromises on your diamond. I guess you can order it and see if it meets your expectations.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not though. Crushed ice radiants don't have the high contrast of other types (hearts and arrows) so you don't see red's and blues. But you do see CONSISTENTLY bright all green ASETs. These is a good crushed ice radiant ASET, :
_19487.jpg

_19814.jpg

66758.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
terryrayhi|1404344263|3705558 said:
I really like a bright "crushed Ice" Diamond! I am waiting for a Ideal scope on this diamond also!

Hi Terry,

Then you could be on the right track, see if you can get a video from the seller and I also like clear photographs as I find those to be helpful. These aren't my types of radiant but I am not a crushed ice fan and the stone isn't for me, our job is to try to guide you towards what YOU want. Maybe this will be it maybe not, but you will find the right diamond with some patience and you have a sensible approach with images and asking questions.

terryrayhi

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone on the great feedback.. I decided to go with the diamond I chose even with the ASET with the leakage it is truly a amazing diamond with lots of crushed ice sparkle!

photo_768.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results