shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get some feedback on a reset before pulling the trigger?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m going to reset my diamond and wanted a setting similar to this but with a 22k bezel. I’ve included my very crude drawing. I did it on my phone so it’s not very good, kind of illustrates what I mean. AEC18B89-177C-4F0F-B39D-5BA05D77792F.jpeg D0F93279-33FD-40CC-B185-EC74482DA932.jpeg
My concerns are that it won’t look super great with a straight band since it tapers down. Opinions? Tips to improve this idea? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I feel bad that no one has yet responded. I don't know if that band works with a bezel style mounting, especially with all the prong-set diamonds in the band, it sort of feels like its best paired with a prong mounting.

711heather

Rough_Rock
I kind of agree with "headlight", but as long as the basked sits high enough a straight band could still sit flush, at the top at least. Perhapse if the side diamonds were channel set the bezel would seem less mis-matched.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I kind of agree with "headlight", but as long as the basked sits high enough a straight band could still sit flush, at the top at least. Perhapse if the side diamonds were channel set the bezel would seem less mis-matched.

Totally agree on the channel set idea!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker Do you have a jeweler in mind to make the ring? They could help you get a better conceptualization of your idea and tweak things to make them work together to your specifications.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Maybe reset to something like this - only with the bezel. It's a Victor Canera. I do have to ask - why 22kt gold? It's very soft.

1582252761502.png

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@headlight thank you for the feedback! I’m so indecisive it’s probably worn on people... it wears on me too. But thank you. I’ll rethink this. I was thinking about going with DK.

@711heather thank you. I’ll have to plan a bit more. I don’t know if custom cut sides are in the budget.

@OcnGypZ that’s very nice but guarantee out of the budget. It was a dream setting for a long time though. I wanted 22k cause I figured it would help emphasize the yellow in my diamond.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@winnietucker Pretty design. I love the reverse taper as they call it now.
You can get a band flush with that but probably only with custom or modifications. The under band/shank that rides under the cathedral shoulders can be straight across while the cathedral flares up toward the stone above the band.
Of course, a flush thin wedding band could then get lost under the cathedral shoulders. I hope that makes sense. It’s late here and I’m off to sleep.
I really love the look of it!

Edited for clarifications.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker Pretty design. I love the reverse taper as they call it now.
You can get a band flush with that but probably only with custom or modifications. The under band/shank that rides under the cathedral shoulders can be straight across while the cathedral flares up toward the stone above the band.
Of course, a flush thin wedding band could then get lost under the cathedral shoulders. I hope that makes sense. It’s late here and I’m off to sleep.
I really love the look of it!

Edited for clarifications.

Thank you. Do you think the bezel and bead set combo is weird?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love bead set. Love but I can’t envision it with a bezel head...unless...it was bezeled milgrain. Here’s a pic of what I could see working with bead set.

Attachments

• B57C849F-E418-4D64-BCBF-405A7FA48EAA.jpeg
    B57C849F-E418-4D64-BCBF-405A7FA48EAA.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 8F718376-E1AB-4CFF-B761-EF4D32CEB9BF.jpeg
    8F718376-E1AB-4CFF-B761-EF4D32CEB9BF.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 36

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I love bead set. Love but I can’t envision it with a bezel head...unless...it was bezeled milgrain. Here’s a pic of what I could see working with bead set.

I was considering milgrain too! Do you mean in the same style I was thinking but with milgrain on the bezel? Or not so with prongs still and kind of a bezel with milgrain like in your photo? Sorry, I don’t know the actual terminology for that.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can see everything bezel set! I love bezels. I think it would be awesome! I also do like channel set side stones, but I’m old like that! :lol:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
22k a is pretty soft. Teal for setting a central stone, prong style. A head made of 22k seems risky, bent prongs would be a real risk & bent prongs can lead to lost stones. If you want to highlight the yellow in the stone, cupping it would get you a much stronger effect.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2c
This stone in its original setting had a 22k bezel, so you know you like the looks, and should know the caveats of all involved?
I think a bezel with bead set sides would look nice. Not sure about milgrain with the original type bezel tho. Nor 22k milgrain.
But - devils in the details that will make or ‘break’ the cohesiveness ( or your happiness) of the ring design as a whole.
If you are going thru DK, maybe initially request Amy’s involvement in putting the two elements together. I’ve never worked with Amy and don’t know what that all entails - but she’s been mentioned here multiple times on getting a design cohesive.
Or you can contract out the help of the designer of your original ring you bought to help?
Going without either - it’s all on you to decipher CAD to reality and you own it.
2A2C52BF-0245-46ED-96A7-FA38F7AEDABC.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
22k is beautiful but because it's so soft it has a worn/rustic look which may or may not be to your liking. look up gurhan for example

RA07926.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would def recommend 18k yellow vs. 22k OR if you really love the richness of 22k what I've seen some do is almost a double bezel. A small inner bezel of 22k with 18k on the outer part.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
22k a is pretty soft. Teal for setting a central stone, prong style. A head made of 22k seems risky, bent prongs would be a real risk & bent prongs can lead to lost stones. If you want to highlight the yellow in the stone, cupping it would get you a much stronger effect.

I was told on another stone I was looking at the cupping wouldn’t work well for a well cut round. Is that the case here? I think it’s well cut. Or do you mean that all that yellow around the diamond would just help in general?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
2c
This stone in its original setting had a 22k bezel, so you know you like the looks, and should know the caveats of all involved?
I think a bezel with bead set sides would look nice. Not sure about milgrain with the original type bezel tho. Nor 22k milgrain.
But - devils in the details that will make or ‘break’ the cohesiveness ( or your happiness) of the ring design as a whole.
If you are going thru DK, maybe initially request Amy’s involvement in putting the two elements together. I’ve never worked with Amy and don’t know what that all entails - but she’s been mentioned here multiple times on getting a design cohesive.
Or you can contract out the help of the designer of your original ring you bought to help?
Going without either - it’s all on you to decipher CAD to reality and you own it.
2A2C52BF-0245-46ED-96A7-FA38F7AEDABC.jpeg

Thank you for the feedback! I should hire someone as you said. I have no eye for design it’s so sad :lol:

I thought it would work because in my head bead set is kind of bezel looking and kind of prong set looking.

If I ask for milgrain and don’t like it can it be undone? Or it is a permanent thing?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
22k is beautiful but because it's so soft it has a worn/rustic look which may or may not be to your liking. look up gurhan for example

RA07926.jpg

I hadn’t thought about that. Thank you for bringing that up. I’m not very careful with my rings so you’re right, 22k is prob not the right choice for me.

I would def recommend 18k yellow vs. 22k OR if you really love the richness of 22k what I've seen some do is almost a double bezel. A small inner bezel of 22k with 18k on the outer part.

I like this idea. Thank you!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I've worn a 24KT gold ring for about twelve years, watching it grow a warm patina & a few bright dings too [for reference on wear, a sapphire cab set in it also turned frosted at the same time; I had wanted the ring to live my life & it did]. 22KT is much more sensible. If the bezel is strong/thick enough to take several rounds of polishing, one every two years or so, why not.

The design makes perfect sense to me, even more so knowing that this diamond loves to be in a YG bezel.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
E0A64A29-97B2-4AE1-B176-EBB4A494ED6B.jpeg
I was told on another stone I was looking at the cupping wouldn’t work well for a well cut round. Is that the case here? I think it’s well cut. Or do you mean that all that yellow around the diamond would just help in general?

Cupping is just about jazzing up color - the cut is not really impacted at all. I have a LFY that is cupped, it looks intense yellow cupped. This is cupped in 18 karat gold. This is an oval that is excellent cut per GIA. It’s about ramping up the color.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I've worn a 24KT gold ring for about twelve years, watching it grow a warm patina & a few bright dings too [for reference on wear, a sapphire cab set in it also turned frosted at the same time; I had wanted the ring to live my life & it did]. 22KT is much more sensible. If the bezel is strong/thick enough to take several rounds of polishing, one every two years or so, why not.

The design makes perfect sense to me, even more so knowing that this diamond loves to be in a YG bezel.

Thank you. That’s a good way to put it regarding the bezel. I’m gonna start saying that from now on!

Cupping is just about jazzing up color - the cut is not really impacted at all. I have a LFY that is cupped, it looks intense yellow cupped. This is cupped in 18 karat gold. This is an oval that is excellent cut per GIA. It’s about ramping up the color.

I’ve contacted a designer for help. I’m going to see what she thinks about cupping. Thanks for your input! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @winnietucker :wavey:

I don't have much to say except - I LOVE the original setting you posted as your inspiration. I think the bezel added to that would be awesome! Will be a lovely ring, if you decide to go that route!

By the way, DKJ will be cupping my EC when they set it, and they're experienced in that technique, also. It's a common practice if you want to pump the yellow color. Would be a great idea for your diamond. Just speak to Amy and ask for her input; I'm guessing they did the original setting your diamond was in, so would be able to give you an experienced opinion as to whether cupping on that particular diamond is the way to go.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

prettttty!

i think the point about cut is the yellow cup may not enhance all yellow stones - a mrb cut for light return won't amplify color in the same way as cuts that intensify color like cushion or radiant. i think the white flash rep on another thread said that their stones aren't going to really look different based on the color of the metal for example. guessing it's hard to tell sometimes until the stone is set in the ring

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi @winnietucker :wavey:

I don't have much to say except - I LOVE the original setting you posted as your inspiration. I think the bezel added to that would be awesome! Will be a lovely ring, if you decide to go that route!

By the way, DKJ will be cupping my EC when they set it, and they're experienced in that technique, also. It's a common practice if you want to pump the yellow color. Would be a great idea for your diamond. Just speak to Amy and ask for her input; I'm guessing they did the original setting your diamond was in, so would be able to give you an experienced opinion as to whether cupping on that particular diamond is the way to go.

Thank you! I ended up contacting the lady I bought it from since I know she’s available to design. I completely forgot about that until Rfisher suggested it. Better to pay the fee and get it right. I know she uses DK and another bench. BTW, can’t wait to see your EC.:))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results