shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anything be done about this window?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Aquamarine is my husband’s birthstone so I’ve been on the hunt for an antique pin to convert to a ring. I keep coming back to this one and finally asked for face up photos. This window bugs me. Any way to get rid of it/ hide it? It’s $1400 with a 5ct aqua and 0.25 cts total in diamonds. Is the price ok?

EC640488-F82B-44F6-920D-67352BC9AB59.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What metal is the brooch currently please?

If it is platinum, then I believe the overall price is about right for this brooch, which means the Aqua itself is worth less than the asking price.

Not entirely certain if such a brooch can easily be converted into a ring, therefore, I would advise to run this past a competent bench first before committing to buy.

As for the window itself, sorry, I would pass as it is too big for my liking. So big that I do not believe putting a foil behind it would work. Again, I would advise running this past a bench first to seek advice.

However, the colour of the Aqua is nice, as in it is quite deep without any green modifier (I am a fan of Aquas with a hint of green personally); and it looks quite clean based on the photo alone.

The stone is big enough to benefit a re-cut, and that's what I would probably do, as in take out the Aqua and the diamonds, scrap the metal, re-cut the Aqua and then re-set into a ring with the diamonds.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Reactions: caf

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
It could theoretically be hidden with a recut, but you may be better off just buying a better stone.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Here are some Aquamarines that just posted on IG

26F8D353-F7BE-4904-85BA-022A7CBAC278.png

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
What metal is the brooch currently please?

If it is platinum, then I believe the overall price is about right for this brooch, which means the Aqua itself is worth less than the asking price.

Not entirely certain if such a brooch can easily be converted into a ring, therefore, I would advise to run this past a competent bench first before committing to buy.

As for the window itself, sorry, I would pass as it is too big for my liking. So big that I do not believe putting a foil behind it would work. Again, I would advise running this past a bench first to seek advice.

However, the colour of the Aqua is nice, as in it is quite deep without any green modifier (I am a fan of Aquas with a hint of green personally); and it looks quite clean based on the photo alone.

The stone is big enough to benefit a re-cut, and that's what I would probably do, as in take out the Aqua and the diamonds, scrap the metal, re-cut the Aqua and then re-set into a ring with the diamonds.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Thanks! Foil was what I was thinking but I couldn’t think of it. It’s 14k YG and platinum so I’m thinking maybe it’s a little high? I was hoping for a straight conversion so this is a no go for me. I appreciate you saving me money lol.

@winnietucker Gilded Lane in IG has this beauty with aquamarines and diamonds. in case you want to consider some others.

Here are some Aquamarines that just posted on IG

26F8D353-F7BE-4904-85BA-022A7CBAC278.png

Sorry my tag thing isn’t working right now. But so many vendors are using IG to sell, I really need to get on that. Thanks! I’ll check them out and see how far I can go without IG requiring me to create an account.

It could theoretically be hidden with a recut, but you may be better off just buying a better stone.

Such a disappointment! No wonder they didn’t have any straight shots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results