shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone tell me anything about this stone?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
My mom and I were looking though some of our family jewelry and I fell in love with this ring that belonged (We think) to my great grandmother. The stone has so much personality. I so wish it fit but it barely fits on my pinky. My ring finger is a 5.25– so this ring size must be tiny. Is there anything anyone can tell me about the type of cut from this poorly taken picture? I don’t know anything about old cuts but it looked different from my MRB. Thanks! 311CB674-97F0-465F-86DC-5980D004E8DB.jpeg

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Ooh...
Looks like a lovely antique cut...you should remount into something you like. Very special!

That’s a good idea! Anyone have any ideas?? I have my grandmother’s diamond in a bezel mount necklace— otherwise I’d do something like that.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Finding new homes for inherited stones is challenging and fun. I recommend looking around at settings that you like and then resetting the stone. I reset almost all of the stones I inherited. I held them all for a while occasionally wearing them in their dated settings, then realized that the amazing women that wore them would want me to love them like they did....so I reset them and now I wear them all..all the time and love them all more then I can put into words. Yours is an amazingly gorgeous stone. The setting it is in could probably be resized to fit you, but you might get more wear out of something that you pick. Just my 2 cents....

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Finding new homes for inherited stones is challenging and fun. I recommend looking around at settings that you like and then resetting the stone. I reset almost all of the stones I inherited. I held them all for a while occasionally wearing them in their dated settings, then realized that the amazing women that wore them would want me to love them like they did....so I reset them and now I wear them all..all the time and love them all more then I can put into words. Yours is an amazingly gorgeous stone. The setting it is in could probably be resized to fit you, but you might get more wear out of something that you pick. Just my 2 cents....

That is such a good point! I have a couple wedding bands and such from both grandmothers that I never got the chance to meet. I love wearing these things that meant so much to them and now so much to me. It’s so nice to feel connected in that way.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
This is an Old European, in a Victorian repoussé setting. Do you like the style enough to resize the ring by adding to the shank?

I do! I just didn’t want to mess up the setting— but I guess that would happen either way if I had to reset it.

and also! Thank you for the information. I’ve been so curious about this ring and now I have some information to go on!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the setting, I would resize it and wear it. Very pretty piece of familial history!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love it just as it is.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I love it as is!
It truly is a stunning ring and I think that its possible that you might regret resetting it later on when you dive into the wondrous world of old cuts!

I think resetting it would be a travesty!
I say resize her and wear her on your right hand ring finger or your pointer fingers!
Lovely find! ❤

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I love it as is!
It truly is a stunning ring and I think that its possible that you might regret resetting it later on when you dive into the wondrous world of old cuts!

I think resetting it would be a travesty!
I say resize her and wear her on your right hand ring finger or your pointer fingers!
Lovely find! ❤

Thank you! I literally gasped when I saw it. This might be my gateway to old cuts!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I literally gasped when I saw it. This might be my gateway to old cuts!

Its what us old cut lovers wish we found when having the priveledge of going through meaningful familial jewelry! It really is a perfect piece in its entirety!
Do have it resized and wear the heck out of her and then pass her onto your children :kiss2:

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I have another stone for your knowledgeable mind! This was my grandmother’s. I always thought it was a MRB but the proportions just look off. Could be that it’s just not a great cut but I love the personality of it.
2B523866-5E42-45A7-A53D-48DF232A1400.jpeg 4101D81D-C531-450E-A522-8471B19B2078.jpeg 77C4B3CA-E2A7-4784-8C39-A7D436811FA5.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
No culet + large table = modern beauty

Very pretty! Did your grandmother wear this a lot when you were a little kid, or perhaps later on as you grew up? The setting seems quite contemporary, and wonderful for daily casual wear. Other PS members are more knowledgeable about modern cuts than I am, but I'd guesstimate this stone was cut between 1940 and 1990. Quite lovely!

Anyone else care to venture a guess?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
No culet + large table = modern beauty

Very pretty! Did your grandmother wear this a lot when you were a little kid, or perhaps later on as you grew up? The setting seems quite contemporary, and wonderful for daily casual wear. Other PS members are more knowledgeable about modern cuts than I am, but I'd guesstimate this stone was cut between 1940 and 1990. Quite lovely!

Anyone else care to venture a guess?

Thanks! She passed away long before I was born. The stone had been in a ring but had been reset in this bezel about 10 years ago. I wish I knew more about it. I’ve been asking my dad (it was his mother’s) and he has no recollection of any jewelry she or his grandmother wore. He didn’t think this was from her wedding ring though. I even asked my grandfather when he was in his 90’s and he didn’t recall either. Shows how much the men in my family pay attention to jewelry!

Last edited:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a tiny culet? Could it be an early modern round brilliant?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I saw one in the first picture. I actually like the stone!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, nice looking stone in the original post.

How about repurposing it as a bangle or bracelet?

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results