shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone show me...

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A graduated five stone next to a band of approximately .20 to .25 stones? I really want a Whiteflash graduated trellis, but I'm not sure if on it's own it would be enough bling for my 7.5 size finger. I have an IDJ 9 stone with .25 stones (2.25 ctw) that I purchased last year. The center on the 5 stone would be .82 (for now unless hubby lets me upgrade), so probably .40's and .25's on the sides. Just wondering how they would look together, if the 9 stone would overwhelm the graduated band, or if the whole thing just wouldn't look right.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Really? No one? With all this bling floating around here? Well, I guess if nobody has that combo it kinda answers the question. Thanks to everyone who looked at least.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never seen anyone wear that combination. Generally one diamond band (like the one's you mentioned) is worn as the diamond ring, and then a plain band or engraved band (or maybe a thin pave band) would be worn with it (or no second band at all).

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Simpsonade -

I haven't seen anything like the combo you're looking for, but have you seen Niel's graduated 5 stone which has close to those proportions? Apart from that, i think imagination might have to take you the rest of the way to picture the two together. But here are the problems I see in that combination of rings...

Your 9 stone ring would be longer, so the stones wouldn't line up. So it's not going to match. But the stones are way too close in size, so you're not going to get contrast, either. I think where you'd end up is 'kinda similar, but doesn't go together'. Neither would stand out and the two wouldn't work together, either. Sort of an indeterminate jumble of stones that (in my opinion - and all taste is subjective) would have little form.

HOWEVER - nobody's taste is 'right'. If a sea of sparkle on your finger is what you want, this might be just the ticket. But if you want to see two rings performing at their best, I don't think this is the way forward.

Have you thought about another 9 stone ring, and then a selection of bands to go in the middle - both metal and colored stone? (or diamond, for that matter!) That could look awesome, and it's a substantial look without being gaudy.

Good luck!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker, thank you. I have tried my 9 stone with a 2 mm white gold band. It looks nice, but like most people on PS I want more!!! :D Having large size fingers really stinks. Also, while I liked the combo, some people appeared confused as to why I was wearing two wedding bands.

Mrs-b, you make good points. I'm a very visual person and have little imagination. I like the nine stone, and I like the graduated rings, so I figured what could be better than both together?! But I think you are both right about keeping things simpler so that each ring is special. You also just reminded me of the ring FeFeV posted a while back of the double row ring. It was plenty of sparkle and very nicely done. I may consider something like that.

Thank you both for responding! :wavey:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I considered doing a graduated 5 stone ring some time ago, and tried to find examples of eternities with a 5 stone and came up with hardly a thing, so I feel your pain.

I don't have a graduated 5 stone, but I do have a (technically) 5 stone engagement ring, and I do have a 5 stone with .20 stones in it, and I have worn them together (finger size 6-ish) when I want megabling...

5stoneeringbling.jpg

and then I have a graduated YG 5 stone that I wear sometimes with my rose cut eternity. The stones are a lot smaller than what you are considering, but maybe it will help with imagining the look of similar sized stones together.

ygstack1.jpg

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bunnycat, thank you so much for taking the time to respond and post pictures! I like that your blingy set isn't too matchy matchy but still works well together. Very pretty. And I I appreciate the example of the stack in the second picture. It may not be an exact match to what I'm looking for, but it does help me get an idea of how important it would be for the rings to "go" together. In my head I was thinking that since the smallest stones of the 5 stone would be the same size as the band it would help it flow a bit better and look more like they were meant to be together. And it kinda looks like that in the pic you provided of the yellow gold set. Also, I was hoping that since the trellis would sit higher it would look more like an engagement ring and band vs. two bands with neither being particularly outstanding.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results