shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help me with this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InTheGroove

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a diamond for my partners engagement ring, but I am not expert in diamonds. I read something about the 4Cs but don't know much about the cut and someone told me this is very important for the diamond to sparkle.

It is only a small diamond though. The information I have on it is as follows:

Carat: .77
Colour: E
Clarity: VVS1
Measurements: 5.89-5.93x3.64mm
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Medium
Culet: none
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: none

Also, how much do you think this diamond would be worth?

This is a very daunting task trying to get a good diamond... I only hope I don't stuff up and get ripped off or anything.

Thank you in advance to ever can help me. Your feedback is much appreciated.

InTheGroove

Rough_Rock
Oh.. I forgot.. it is a round diamond. And I am thinking of getting off the internet so that's why I don't know how it will look... Hmmmmm.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
you need more information to determine cut. Crown height, pavilion depth and corosponding angles. Nice color, overkill on clarity. Think about going down to VS2 clarity and up on size.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E-VVS are very high grades. And this is not small.

One way to tell how a diamond would look like is to use teh details on it's Sarin report (AGS lab reports provide some, and there are other measuring tools too): such as pavilion and crown angles. Models of of a round diamond's optical propperties will help predict the 'look' to a serious degree of accuracy. Better still, some stones are sold based on the results of direct tests of their optics. The worst downside of these farely accurate representations is that you need to go an extra mile and get the info needed. Also, you may want to spend a bit of time reading to tutorial on cut above to know what these cut standards look like.

The good part... well, such amount of detail is only available for rounds. So you can find a stone with top color, clarity and optics in a rather straight forward manner.

Here's one (WWW) with all numbers and tests in place, for example. Neither the seller or the stone are unique choices, for sure and neither is the price. But if you find this kind of presentation satisfactory, there is little left to looking for an ideal or near-ideal cut online
2.gif

InTheGroove

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that... I will look for a VS2..

Much appreciated for your help. This forum is great, some really interesting reading here!!

Cheers.

InTheGroove

Rough_Rock
Thanks valeria101 for going to the trouble in explaining things.. This helps a lot. Many of the Jewellery stores I visited here in London have no grading reports on them, so this is why I went to the internet as there seems to be a bit more infomation available. But trying to work out what all that information means is another thing!!

Some of the diamonds I saw in the stores looked really cloudy and dull which is why turned my attention to VVS diamonds.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, my previous post was cut short. here's the rest
1.gif

You may want to check the gem adviser (on the GOG site) - just a fun toy.

An extension of that type of modelling determines the path of light theough these stones. This site does not use it, but here's an example (report with ray trace by DiamCalc included: WWW )

London... happy exchange rate! If you get to buy a USD-priced stone. Probably E/F-VS2 is a great no-excuse set of specs. I would not mind D-SI with excedingly nice optics (WWW) either.

There is one shortcut to handling all the info - although it may not spund good. Just go for the best cut. It is way harder to evaluate what is almost there but not quite. A precise H&A pattern would help with this and the H&A grading guidelines are just a one page doc hanging in the tutorial here.

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results