shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a video show you everything you need to know about a diamond?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let’s start with diamond appearance.

I am not talking about light performance but diamond appearance; these factors will affect a diamonds appearance no matter how well or badly it is cut.

Later posts will talk about light performance, cut quality and inclusions.

What factors impact a diamonds appearance?

1: lighting

A: Intensity

How bright are light sources hitting the diamond?

B: Type

Is it direct(spot light) or indirect light(Strongly diffused large light source, light reflected off a ceiling or wall)?

Is it a broad light source or a small point light source or mixed?

Is it a single light source or multiple light sources?

C: Direction

Direction is relative both to the diamond and the viewer.

For a diamond to return light to a viewer or camera there has to be a light source for the diamond to draw light from in the right location.

D: Obstruction present.

How much of the diamond is blocked from receiving light and how big a variation in light intensity between the blocking elements compared to the environment?

The bigger the difference in lighting intensity the darker the results of the obstruction will appear on the diamond.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
2: Viewing distance

Viewing distance has a large impact on diamond appearance not only for obstruction but the relative size and brightness compared to the environment.

3: Tilt

The angle of the diamond relative to the viewer will have an impact on the diamonds appearance.

4: mounting/how it is held

When you look at a diamond you are wearing you are not looking at it sitting on its side on a white or grey platter, you are seeing it in relation to the setting, your hand and the environment around you.

View a diamond ring sitting on a counter/desk now put it on your hand. The difference in appearance will be striking.

Why? Because humans see things relative to what is around the item being viewed.

5: Motion

Diamond appearance is dynamic and changes strongly with motion.

Why? Because you’re not only changing the position of the diamond relative to the viewer you are also changing the lighting environment.

All of the factors under lighting above rapidly change as the diamond is moved combined with looking at different parts of the diamond and changes in background and you have a very strong dynamic impact with diamond movement.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
6: Environment

Diamonds show the colors of items around them as they gather light from the environment around the diamond.

For example if you’re in a room with yellow walls your diamond will look yellow.

Sometimes items are added to the environment when taking photos and video to change the diamonds appearance.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Am I ever going to get to the topic I started with?

Yep I am.

Every factor above is different when a camera is taking a video of a diamond than it is when you’re wearing it.

Even more, what the viewer is seeing is different, huge 2d images on screen vs a smaller 3d object.

I intentionally skipped variation in human vision from person to person as a factor in diamond appearance but it is very important.

Sorry about the formatting the board ate my formatting when I posted it.

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome! Thanks @Karl_K !!! Enquiring (and sometimes expiring) minds want to know!

I am (one of many, I’m sure) thankful you took the time to post this! :wavey:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your welcome kmoro!

I should have added color to the light section.
The color of the light changes the appearance of the diamond.
That is the problem with these types of posts for the next week I'm going to be thinking of things to add!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your welcome kmoro!

I should have added color to the light section.
The color of the light changes the appearance of the diamond.
That is the problem with these types of posts for the next week I'm going to be thinking of things to add!
I was going to mention lighting colour temperature and bandwidth, but you beat me to it ;-) lol

Do we also need to consider focal length of the camera taking the picture and UV/Infrared filters within the camera? (UV particularly, if accurate assessment of fluor at the variety of possible UV wavelengths is required?)

FearlessSmile

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Karl_K - On the topic of well cut diamonds looking dark in bright direct sunlight to the person wearing it as close up.. would people viewing it from a distance notice more coloured sparkles shooting out of it rather than a darker stone? Hope that made sense.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was going to mention lighting colour temperature and bandwidth, but you beat me to it ;-) lol

Do we also need to consider focal length of the camera taking the picture and UV/Infrared filters within the camera? (UV particularly, if accurate assessment of fluor at the variety of possible UV wavelengths is required?)
UV/IR filter in the camera won't affect diamond appearance in the video/picture.
Focal length difference between viewing it in person and video is certainly a consideration.
I started this out as putting together a post about diamond appearance and added the video stuff as an after thought.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Karl_K - On the topic of well cut diamonds looking dark in bright direct sunlight to the person wearing it as close up.. would people viewing it from a distance notice more coloured sparkles shooting out of it rather than a darker stone? Hope that made sense.

Yes it is very possible.
They might not even see it as dark.

There is the 3 person rule.
3 people side by side viewing a diamond held by the middle person can see 3 different things.
One could see it as dark, one could see it as bright and one could see it as fiery and bright all at the same time.

Last edited:

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great questions and remarks, Karl,

I have a love/hate-relationship with videos of diamonds. I personally find it hard to use them, as I have problems translating the 2D-view to the 3D-experience I have with diamonds in hand. But I understand consumers liking and requesting them. It may give more confidence in their potential purchase, but that confidence can easily grow too high, due to the reasons you listed, among others.

That said, I also dislike one of the consequences of video. They nearly always tend to create more focus on Clarity-aspects, while Clarity in real life would probably not take center-stage in the analysis of a diamond. Definitely not for most consumers.

Finally, what bugs me also is the usage of special effects. I know Karl did not go there, yet. But I am seeing regular use of star-filter (or modern equivalent) in order to create the illusion of non-existing Fire and Scintillation. This cannot even be considered as highlighting a specific asset of a diamond. This is truly a special effect, showing something in video that is altered from any real life view. I know about this because CBI many years ago made a video commercial, where we used a star-filter in the final grouped-diamond views. But that was a declared promotion. We would never use such special effect in the specific presentation of an individual diamond.

Live long,

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like videos of diamonds I am considering or helping others consider but they are a supplement to the other information.
Some are better than others but you will never see your diamond looking exactly like it does in any video when viewing it in person.
No matter how good video gets that will be true because the simple act of viewing a diamond interacts with it in ways that video can not duplicate.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That said, I also dislike one of the consequences of video. They nearly always tend to create more focus on Clarity-aspects, while Clarity in real life would probably not take center-stage in the analysis of a diamond. Definitely not for most consumers.
I have started to tackle that, but it was getting way to long to cover together.
When you consider that video and images can over emphasize inclusions at the same time hiding inclusions it is not as simple as it seems.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have started to tackle that, but it was getting way to long to cover together.
When you consider that video and images can over emphasize inclusions at the same time hiding inclusions it is not as simple as it seems.

You are right, Karl, my comment there is looking at the topic from a different angle. I read your original posts again and see you specifically mentioning 'diamond appearance'.

My comment indeed is more related to the subliminal. The fact of video being available directs attention to the video. And once in the video, the focus too often is on Clarity, because other aspects are even harder to judge in video (as per your original posts). As a result, I see the presence of video leading to 'exaggerated' attention to Clarity, away from other aspects having more value to most consumers.

Just one of the reasons why I have a love/hate-relationship with videos of diamonds.

Live long,

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree @Paul-Antwerp, how to tackle clarity/inclusions focus in a post/article is what I am wrestling with.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Finally, what bugs me also is the usage of special effects. I know Karl did not go there, yet. But I am seeing regular use of star-filter (or modern equivalent) in order to create the illusion of non-existing Fire and Scintillation. This cannot even be considered as highlighting a specific asset of a diamond. This is truly a special effect, showing something in video that is altered from any real life view. I know about this because CBI many years ago made a video commercial, where we used a star-filter in the final grouped-diamond views. But that was a declared promotion. We would never use such special effect in the specific presentation of an individual diamond.
Live long,
Paul do you find the www.Cutwise.com fire videos 'fake'?
They are made for stereo assessment of fire 'counting'. Humans do see flashes that expend beyond the diamond in spot lighting. The aspects of fire brightness, size and duration seem to be being quantified by the Octonus / Sergey team.

JT123

Shiny_Rock
You are right, Karl, my comment there is looking at the topic from a different angle. I read your original posts again and see you specifically mentioning 'diamond appearance'.

My comment indeed is more related to the subliminal. The fact of video being available directs attention to the video. And once in the video, the focus too often is on Clarity, because other aspects are even harder to judge in video (as per your original posts). As a result, I see the presence of video leading to 'exaggerated' attention to Clarity, away from other aspects having more value to most consumers.

Just one of the reasons why I have a love/hate-relationship with videos of diamonds.

Live long,
I agree. I must admit I was a little disappointed when I rec’d my ACA H&A diamond and didn’t come close to the sparkle compared to the video. I should have known better, I know lol. I’ve decided not to buy diamonds online anymore.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. I must admit I was a little disappointed when I rec’d my ACA H&A diamond and didn’t come close to the sparkle compared to the video. I should have known better, I know lol. I’ve decided not to buy diamonds online anymore.
That's not a particularly good reaction to what happened. Buying diamonds online will give you superior quality and lower prices 99% of the time (obviously with the exception of going to one of the recommended vendors in person). I don't really like how WF does their videos, but their stones seem outstanding in person

JT123

Shiny_Rock
That's not a particularly good reaction to what happened. Buying diamonds online will give you superior quality and lower prices 99% of the time (obviously with the exception of going to one of the recommended vendors in person). I don't really like how WF does their videos, but their stones seem outstanding in person
Oh yeah I agree my AGS Ideal diamond was great quality. I did compare it to other diamonds (recommended PS stores here in the Bay Area). I had the sales reps pull some of their best excellent cut diamonds with all the normal PS specs. I didn’t think the H&A AGS performed any better. I know most on here won't agree with this. I hope I’m not offending anyone. I was extremely pleased with Whiteflash’s customer service. I don’t think buying online will work for me.:(2

Last edited:

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paul do you find the www.Cutwise.com fire videos 'fake'?
They are made for stereo assessment of fire 'counting'. Humans do see flashes that expend beyond the diamond in spot lighting. The aspects of fire brightness, size and duration seem to be being quantified by the Octonus / Sergey team.

Garry,

Why are you asking me about these specific videos in relation to my remark about special effects, like star-filter? Are these produced with a special camera-effect?

Live long,

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah I agree my AGS Ideal diamond was great quality. I did compare it to other diamonds (recommended PS stores here in the Bay Area). I had the sales reps pull some of their best excellent cut diamonds with all the normal PS specs. I didn’t think the H&A AGS performed any better. I know most on here won't agree with this. I hope I’m not offending anyone. I was extremely pleased with Whiteflash’s customer service. I don’t think buying online will work for me.:(2

It's not in spot lights where H&A Excel compared to other diamonds, but at home in normal lighting. WF videos are one thing, but I'm not sure that it has anything to do with buying online.

What is it from buying online that has put you off?

JT123

Shiny_Rock
I compared my H&A to other diamonds outside,under trees, under desk and all the dimly lit areas etc and still no difference. I dragged my husband a long (he’s an engineer and picks up on these things) and he didn’t see any difference. The stores we went to (recommended by price scopers) were very competitive on the pricing (especially once they knew I was shopping around online),and I can actually see my diamond which is huge plus. I like the upgrade policy too, free ring inspections/cleaning every 6 months is a plus.

Last edited:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like videos of diamonds I am considering or helping others consider but they are a supplement to the other information.
Some are better than others but you will never see your diamond looking exactly like it does in any video when viewing it in person.
No matter how good video gets that will be true because the simple act of viewing a diamond interacts with it in ways that video can not duplicate.
This. My highlight above.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The right question is:
What can videos in strandardized light conditions show about a diamond appearance Better and Correctly than direct consumer observation in irregular viewer conditions .
Standardized video can allow for effective comparisons between stones. One can see differences in fire, scintillation patterns, transparency, and other subtle aspects. The things that you can see in magnified video may or may not always be obvious in real life, but you can see often see the difference between stones to help make close call decisions.

Ideally we would all be equipped with 3D video like you have pioneered Serg. You are always a little ahead of the curve. I'm sure that day will come.

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@JT123 Cool, sounds like you did due diligence. Too many times are shoppers filled by jeweller spot lights. course WF are not just an online business as they can offer far more info on their stones even for online shoppers compared to typical virtual model type purchases.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I compared my H&A to other diamonds outside,under trees, under desk and all the dimly lit areas etc and still no difference. I dragged my husband a long (he’s an engineer and picks up on these things) and he didn’t see any difference. The stores we went to (recommended by price scopers) were very competitive on the pricing (especially once they knew I was shopping around online),and I can actually see my diamond which is huge plus. I like the upgrade policy too, free ring inspections/cleaning every 6 months is a plus.
This makes total sense. I was worried that you were saying "bc the stone didn't perform like the video I won't ever buy online again". I now realize that's not at all what you mean. It sounds like you did a lot of comparisons, and know what you like and don't like. I always worry about people getting "fooled" by Jewelers lights, etc. I'm glad you did your research and have figured out how you want to purchase stuff in the future. Informed buyers is what's important to me, so that makes me happy :)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Live long,

Uber Can Be Risky: The Risks for Passengers
Uber might seem like an ideal way to get around — you can get a ride anywhere with just the push of a button! And it may sound like an easy way to make some spare cash. All you need is a car that is less than ten years old and a clear driving record, and you can sign up to be an Uber driver!

But like many things that read well on paper, Uber is riskier than it sounds. Before hailing an Uber car, consider the following.

UBER CAN BE RISKY: LACK OF PROFESSIONAL DRIVING QUALIFICATIONS
Cab drivers adhere to specific standards. In San Francisco, for example, cab drivers must show proof of residency, good health, and hygiene, and have a driver’s license. They also must speak English, have a clean criminal record, and complete taxi driving training. In Los Angeles, prospective taxi drivers must have fingerprints on file and must pass a nationwide FBI criminal background check.

By contrast, Uber drivers just need to have a car in working order.
UBER CAN BE RISKY: FAULTY BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM
While Uber does claim to perform a DMV and a federal/multi-state criminal background check, these checks are unreliable. NBC4 ran a three-month-long investigation of Uber and found multiple cases of drivers with criminal records. For example, drivers convicted of burglary, battery and assault, and drunk and reckless driving were part of the discovery.

NBC4 also asked a reformed ex-con with a 20-year rap sheet (including burglary, drug possession, and assault) to apply to drive for Uber. She filled out the application and agreed to a background check. Four weeks later, in spite of her criminal record, Uber approved her request.

While concerning, faulty background checks are an issue. A similar investigation by NBC Bay Area found that cab drivers with lengthy traffic records were also allowed to continue working.

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you don't mind, can share with me the diamond your purchased? Would like to know about the numbers.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

If you have an H&A diamond, it means that it has a beautiful and symmetrical cut, like the diamonds we recommend on PS. If you were comparing to similar ideal cuts, I would expect that you see no or very little difference. If you compared your H&A to poorly cut diamonds and said you saw no difference, then I would really wonder what you were seeing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results