shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a setter damage the POLISH of a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
I have an EX/EX stone. While watching the diamond setter does his work, I noticed that he used a metal file to shape the prongs right on top of the crown facets of the diamond. Will this hurt the polish of the stone. Will it scratches the stone? I know diamond is hard but can''t you scratch a shinny and polished surface with a metal file?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Good question ~ The last thing you want to do is watch them. It will scare the heII out of you. The file wont hurt the diamond used properly. A diamond can take a beating its fine. Any Bench people want to add to this ?

DBOF

Rough_Rock
It is a common practice in setting for finishing the prongs, as Ice mentioned. I set diamonds , and have several different files I use, along with other finishing tools. The diamond is very hard material and will cut other metals, and ends up wearing down some files
1.gif

Brad

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I couldn't sleep that night. I thought he must have ruined my EXELLENCE polish.

Just a thought: What if I sit and run a metal file back and forth on top a nicely polish diamond for many hours will it be scratched. The reason I ask this question because I have seen online vendors (especially NiceIce) stating that if you buy a flawless or IF diamond from them there is no return because a tweezer can leave marks or blemishes on a flawless diamond.

I have handled diamond with a tweezer and dropped the diamond on a glass counter top. But the salesman said not to worry because diamond is very hard.

I have also seen lab people use a tweezer to hold a diamond at the table and the culet and then use a pen to roll the diamond around to look for inscription. But would not let me do it because he said too much force will hurt the culet. Is this a normal way lab people handle diamond?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results