shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a Rolex be too ostentatious?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I think I have fallen in love with a Rolex watch. After seeing all the beautiful ones on Pricescope I went to a local Rolex dealer. I fell in quite a few of them, however I found the perfect one and in my price range. I am worried that the watch might be a little too ostentatious for me though. I am a nearly 30 year old real estate associate, and my hubby is a Sergeant foe the local Sheriffs department. This is a picture of the watch I am considering on buying.

hope oneday.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
First, the watch is very nice! However, the most important part is to enjoy a purchase such as this. If you can afford to purchase the watch and truly love it then go for it. The watch itself has a classic/sporty look and does not appear to be overly flashy. However, it is a Rolex, so it is likely to eventually get noticed.

You mention being able to afford the watch and the fact that you really love it, what is holding you back? Are you afraid of snide comments from people, or are you having difficulty coming to terms of justifying to yourself the cost associated with a watch like this?

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I think what is holding me back is that I am afraid of snide comments. Also the fact people might judge me as being too superficial. I am not a flashy person I drive a 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx , have a home that is nearly paid off (5 more years) in the good part of town, and no real debt.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a good friend who has a very similar one and I wouldn't know it was a Rolex if she didn't tell me. It looks nice but you have to look at the dial to tell; the face of her watch is silver so maybe it makes it less noticeble that it is a Rolex. If you love it that is all that matters, so why not treat yourself to one; I am sure it will last forever!
9.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
It is frusterating when people make snide comments, so I understand where you are coming from. I bought a watch last year that did not cost anywhere near what a rolex does, but a few of my friends and family members did roll their eyes after they learned how much it was. Of course, it was my mistake for telling them, but their negativity was not necessary. It made me feel bad for 2 seconds but I forced myself to get over it quickly. In your case, once people find out you have a Rolex, there really is no hiding the fact that you bought a pricier watch. Some people with think it is really cool and will support you, while others will have negative things to say about it. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will buy your watch! :)

There have been a few related topics on this brought up in the forum in the past. If I can find any of those threads, I will post for you to read. Here is one to get you started: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-discussion-with-co-workers.54603/

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Omieluv you hit it right on the head!! My family thinks that such expenditures ok, both my father and step-mother have Rolex watches. I normally ware a Gucci watch that I paid somewhere around $1,250. I live in a small town where they love to gossip.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Since your parents sound like they will be supportive, then I would not worry. People in your town sound like they will gossip about anything, so I would not let them stop you from getting a watch that you will enjoy for years. Buy the watch and post pictures ASAP!
1.gif

Also, you deserve to treat yourself, especially since you have your home almost paid for!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I will most likely buy it next month, I drained my fun money on a surgery ($9,278.92 grrr
29.gif
) that I wanted and Heath insurance would not cover. However I can post the new 2.1 tcw diamond stud earrings, and the art deco platinum and diamond necklace that I just got for my birthday.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Macie,
If i worried about every little comment people have said about my jewelry then i wouldnt own any!My Rolex draws both positive and negative comments(mainly good) but it is yellow gold and stainless with a blue face,so it stands out a little more then all stainless...your watch is understated for a high end watch...you can literally wear this watch for the rest of your life.If you pay your bills and come by your money in a honest way then you can spend it how you will...remember to ask for a discount at the dealership...an authorised dealership can give you up to 20%off(many give only 10) and i would push for it and shop around among jewelers looking for a discount and great customer service.Rolex takes a price hike at the beginning of the year and the summer is a great time to by jewelry because jewelry sales are slow in the summer.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 7:20:27 PM
Author: Macie
I will most likely buy it next month, I drained my fun money on a surgery ($9,278.92 grrr
29.gif
) that I wanted and Heath insurance would not cover. However I can post the new 2.1 tcw diamond stud earrings, and the art deco platinum and diamond necklace that I just got for my birthday.
Sorry about the cost of your surgery, what a bummer! However, you NEED to post pictures of your studs and that awesome necklace!!
31.gif

jewelerman - great tips, btw!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

Jewlerman thanks for the info about the discounts. I live in South Florida so I can easily go to Miami, or Palm Beach to find the best deal.

Omieluv-I had a tubal ligation two weeks ago and due to the fact that it was not medically necessary it was denied. However after three miscarriages, diabetes, and not wanting to go though any more I used my fun money to get it done and over with.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I can see why you elected to have the procedure, but it stinks that insurance would not cover it. Hoping your recovery is going well...

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
While the style you''ve chosen is not flashy, the name Rolex can have the possibility to make some observers think you are being ostentatious. I only say this because Rolex is the most famously known high end watch to the people who don''t know much about watches. My XH has a self-made millionaire uncle, and he wears a yellow gold diamond studded Rolex. The sight of it always did give me that "ostentatious" impression.

Now, I love watches as much as my diamond jewelry, and wanted a high-end swiss watch, but I went with Longines because none of my family and friends had ever heard that name (and I just love the understated look of the rectangle "dolce vita" with small subsecond dial). But I made the mistake once of saying how much I spent on a piece of jewelry to an aunt, and she wouldn''t stop fussing about how outrageous that was and wasteful and SHE would never think of spending that much money on something so frivilous. And my jewelries are in the medium/small range, too, they are just excellent quality which makes me feel happy.

I say get what you like, don''t tell your family and friends what you spend, and keep your look understated. That way you have the satisfaction of having the quality you desire without looking flashy and ostentatious.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Macie~
There will always be those who gossip and judge, and it is unfortunate that not everyone can take the advice in my signature...but you are making this purchase for you, and who cares what anyone else thinks?! I know that is easier said than done, but considering all that you have been through medically, I think that you have earned this watch 100 times over
2.gif
!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I can''t tell you what to do but as a Rolex owner I can tell you that there will be people who will make a big deal out of it as rude as that is on their part. So, if you think that would bother you, I might not do it. And as has been mentioned-- there are other options. Nobody ever made a rude comment about my JLC.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
In Los Angeles people assume it''s a knock off anyway unless the rest of the package matches. I wouldn''t worry about what other people say or think. I carry Louis Vuitton in the land of knock offs. I''m sure many people think it''s fake vs. real. I don''t give it any thought at all.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2008 7:08:51 AM
Author: Imdanny
I can''t tell you what to do but as a Rolex owner I can tell you that there will be people who will make a big deal out of it as rude as that is on their part. So, if you think that would bother you, I might not do it. And as has been mentioned-- there are other options. Nobody ever made a rude comment about my JLC.
cuz 95% of the public never heard of JLC.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I looked up JlC and found this beauty. I wear an 18k rose gold bracelet so I think it would go well with that. I think I am going to go and look at different brands besides Rolex. I am defiantly going to have to do some home work!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some Rolex''s can be more flashy looking but that one is classic. Get it and enjoy it. Do not let anyone''s petty comments ruin it for you if you love it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i hardly hear any comments about my watches...

if i wore my 18K Rolex people think it''s a fake,cuz i''m always dress in T shirts and jeans.
if i wore my Lange people don''t comment cuz they don''t know the brand.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire,
I WOULD LOVE TO OWN A LANGE...i was hoping that the one pictured was in your collection!Please post and show the members of the forum this beautiful time piece.

Im Danny,
Please post pictures of your JLC...It will be appreciated by the JLC lovers on the forum!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, but not the one you like.
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 12:01:58 PM
Author: Macie
Oh I looked up JlC and found this beauty. I wear an 18k rose gold bracelet so I think it would go well with that. I think I am going to go and look at different brands besides Rolex. I am defiantly going to have to do some home work!!!
A splended idea, especially since you have to build up your fun money reserve anyway! BTW, the JLC you pictured is quite lovely!

If you have not already, take a look at these watch threads for inspiration:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/watches-watches-watches.21710/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ladies-watch-questions.53914/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/watch-rating-scale-attn-diamondfan-widget-etc.59413/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rolex-or-cartier.85006/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results