shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a 6 prong setting be changed to a 4 prong?

ella86

Rough_Rock
I originally went with a 6 prong setting for my ering and am wondering if its going to look smaller from all the prongs? TIA!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like 6 prongs better, I had a small diamond years ago that I went from a 4 prong to a 6 prong and in my opinion it looked bigger in a 6 prong setting!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
As long as the prongs are white gold or platinum it's actually going to look larger with 6 prongs. There's someone on here that has a ring with 8 prongs and that diamond looks huge, even though it's not at all. I had 8 prong earrings made for that same reason.

Here's another reason I'll never have an important-to-me diamond set in 4 prongs again.

LW-Eightstar-broken-prong.jpg

I never felt the blow that sheared the prong, but I was sure glad for the remaining 5 prongs.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
diamondrnglover said:
I personally like 6 prongs better, I had a small diamond years ago that I went from a 4 prong to a 6 prong and in my opinion it looked bigger in a 6 prong setting!
Do you have before/after pics?

Andelain said:
There's someone on here that has a ring with 8 prongs and that diamond looks huge, even though it's not at all..
Where could I find the pics?

ella86

Rough_Rock
I guess I will have to wait to see my ring! I haven't seen it with the set stone yet. I just assumed the more prongs the less diamond is visible therefore making it look smaller than it actually is. Guess not! Thanks guys for the input. Much appreciated :mrgreen:

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard mixed reviews on the issue. I chose 4 prongs because I wanted the most diamond to show as possible. I have heard someone on here say that he diamond looked larger in pictures in a 6-prong setting, but it looked larger in person in a 4-prong setting.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have read differing opinions on this. My own opinion is that 6 prongs make a diamond look a little larger.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
valchiria said:
diamondrnglover said:
Do you have before/after pics?

No I dont, I had it done like 20 years ago and I didnt take pictures of my jewerly back then :Up_to_something: and I have since recycled the diamond into something else...but I really thought it looked better and bigger.

ella86

Rough_Rock
I just assumed since 6 prongs cover more of the stone less light gets in making the stone appear smaller. No?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Valchiria, I don't know who it was, but she bought 2 OEC stones and got the reset and had a thread here in SMTB. The 8 prong one was about .75ct and I loved it.

ella86 said:
I just assumed since 6 prongs cover more of the stone less light gets in making the stone appear smaller. No?

Actually the prongs also reflect light and look like extensions of the diamond. Here's 2 earrings I have that are less than .2 mm apart in size, but the 8 prong set looks way bigger on my ears.

LW-BGD-ACA-sizecomparison2.jpg

LW-BGD-ACA-sizecomparison.jpg

ella86

Rough_Rock
Wow the 8 prongs look much much larger! Gorgeous.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Andelain said:
Valchiria, I don't know who it was, but she bought 2 OEC stones and got the reset and had a thread here in SMTB. The 8 prong one was about .75ct and I loved it.

ella86 said:

Actually the prongs also reflect light and look like extensions of the diamond. Here's 2 earrings I have that are less than .2 mm apart in size, but the 8 prong set looks way bigger on my ears.

LW-BGD-ACA-sizecomparison2.jpg

LW-BGD-ACA-sizecomparison.jpg

UAU!
My ering has exactly the same prongs of the earrings down.
After these pic...:Up_to_something: I'd like to reset it in a setting with 8 prongs :Up_to_something:

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
8 prong on 0.61 stone.

earrings-6.jpg

earrings-3.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, these pics have convinced me...I'm saving my money and re-setting my diamond studs into 8 prong settings...I love the look of them, and they make the diamonds pop... Great pics Andelain and Doc 1!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results