shape
carat
color
clarity

Can 14k yellow gold be dipped into 18k yellow gold?

dtb520

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I just picked up my custom 14k yellow gold e-ring and wedding band the other night. I scoured through these boards, other boards, and went to jewelry stores in real life to compare 14k to 18k. I was mainly torn about the color. I wanted yellow, but not TOO yellow. So, I felt the 14k pieces I saw in real life were yellow enough and decided to go with that. My set is beautiful, but of course, mine didn't turn out as yellow as I'd like.

Now, as background, my fiancé let me do a slight upgrade and we also switched from platinum to YG. There's no do overs this time around and I'm forever thankful for him letting me get what I wanted. Truthfully, my taste didn't change diamond-shape or setting wise, but all my jewelry is YG, and I just prefer it. Since this was a custom piece, the jeweler doesn't offer refunds or exchanges.

However, when I left, the jeweler made the comment that if my taste changes, I can always dip it in white gold. Of course my set looked super yellow under jewelry store lighting, but after staring at it for the past two days, I can barely tell the difference between this set and my old set. It looks a little brighter because of some more contrast, but it's very slight. Ultimately, his dipping into white gold comment got me wondering if I can dip 14k YG into 18k YG? Anyone here know?

I've attached a few photos. Close ups, I can see the yellow, but from arm's distance, I can't. I didn't take any arm's distance pictures though.

As always, thanks for any info you can provide!

_1269.png

_4693.jpeg

_4694.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can definitely tell it is yellow gold. Maybe what is throwing you off is that there is really minimal metal and more white diamonds?

I don't know about dipping in 18 kt. yellow gold - maybe? I really think it is pretty just the way it is though!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I don't see the yellow gold at all, I only see blindingly white diamonds! That's a good thing!

When I look carefully, I do see the yellow gold and I do see a colour difference between that and the fashion rings on your pointer finger, but only if I really, really look carefully. I don't find the colour difference offputting at all.

I'm sure you could request 18ct gold plating, but personally, I think your rings are perfect as they are.

Beautiful set, btw. :)

ETA: I just went through a couple of your old posts and I saw your inspiration pic. I think the reason that one appears more yellow is because more metal is visible. Your jeweller made your setting super dainty and delicate and did a great job at at it. I also think maybe your diamonds are a bit bigger than the inspiration pic? Hard to tell comparing the two, but looks like it, so that might also be why the white to yellow ratio isn't quite what you were hoping for. ;-)

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely set!

I personally dont think dipping in 18k gold will make a noticable difference. As the posters above have said, the wihiteness is probably due to those gorgeous diamonds. Maybe get a nice plain gold band to stack with the rings if you want some more yellow? There are also very lovely engraved gold bands that you could try if you like that look. I personally love the color of gold and wear a plain band... :wavey:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love your set. :love: :love: :love:

I agree with the other posters. I can see a slight difference in color if I study the pics in a magnified format.

Off topic: What size stones did you use in your bezel wedding band? I just adore it!

dtb520

Rough_Rock
CRYSTAL24K|1468015238|4053347 said:
I absolutely love your set. :love: :love: :love:

I agree with the other posters. I can see a slight difference in color if I study the pics in a magnified format.

Off topic: What size stones did you use in your bezel wedding band? I just adore it!

Thanks so much! I miiiight just get it redone in 18k because I've done a ton of comparison of other settings with 18k yellow gold and the YG is totally visible. I did that with 14k too, similar settings, but as we all know, color is dependent on the alloys used. Gah.

Anyhow, I'm not sure the size of the stones in my bezel wedding band, but it's 21 diamonds, 0.74 carat weight, on a 2.7mm width band, size 4 finger. Hopefully that helps!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tell your set is yellow gold (and it is beautiful).

I seem to recall Grace of Jewels By Grace having dipped a 14kt or 18kt yellow gold ring into maybe 22kt gold? I think maybe it was a consignment ring or an estate ring and it was a while ago so I may be mis-remembering entirely, but perhaps it is worth emailing her and asking for her input on the issue?

dtb520

Rough_Rock
Trekkie|1467961718|4052921 said:
Honestly, I don't see the yellow gold at all, I only see blindingly white diamonds! That's a good thing!

When I look carefully, I do see the yellow gold and I do see a colour difference between that and the fashion rings on your pointer finger, but only if I really, really look carefully. I don't find the colour difference offputting at all.

I'm sure you could request 18ct gold plating, but personally, I think your rings are perfect as they are.

Beautiful set, btw. :)

ETA: I just went through a couple of your old posts and I saw your inspiration pic. I think the reason that one appears more yellow is because more metal is visible. Your jeweller made your setting super dainty and delicate and did a great job at at it. I also think maybe your diamonds are a bit bigger than the inspiration pic? Hard to tell comparing the two, but looks like it, so that might also be why the white to yellow ratio isn't quite what you were hoping for. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words! I'm going to see what it'll cost to redo in 18k because I have problems lol. If it's under $500, I think we can swing it. Like I replied below, I looked at several similar sets in 18k and 14k. I liked both, but the alloys in mine must be different. I love the 18k I've seen regardless, and made the change because I wanted to see YELLOW!

dtb520

Rough_Rock
marymm|1468024141|4053376 said:
I can tell your set is yellow gold (and it is beautiful).

I seem to recall Grace of Jewels By Grace having dipped a 14kt or 18kt yellow gold ring into maybe 22kt gold? I think maybe it was a consignment ring or an estate ring and it was a while ago so I may be mis-remembering entirely, but perhaps it is worth emailing her and asking for her input on the issue?

Messaging her now! Thanks so much! When I googled, I could only find info on redipping white gold. I hope it's possible as a way to save money for now. I'd love to have it re-done, but it's not in the budget, unless a bunch of overtime at work comes up :p

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I think your set is perfect, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I understand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results