shape
carat
color
clarity

Can 14K tarnish, turn black?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I purchased what was advertised as a 14K YG 1.5mm wheat chain for my new 18K Bella pendant.

After just two days, I'm noticing that the chain seems to be turning, black? :o
Well maybe not black exactly, but it's turning dark/dull and the yellow shiny polished finish is becoming dull.
I also have little bit of tarnish on my neck where the chain rubs.
I have never had gold tarnish on me before.

Is it possible the chain is not 14K YG as advertised?
Could there be a reaction between the 14K YG chain and the 18K YG pendant?
Could my skin be making the gold in the chain turn dark?
If that is the case, why is the pendant not affected?

The Bella pendant is 100% OK and pristine, so no problems there whatsoever.
It's this chain that is turning dullish.
I don't want to hurt my gorgeous pendant, so I've taken the chain off of it and am using a different chain now.

I'm just wondering what could be the cause of this, if in fact the chain really is 14K YG.
I'm going to return it, I suspect it is a lower carat gold, like 10K or ???. :angryfire:

Has this ever happened to you?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the answer to this but I had a pair of earrings that were sold as 14k yellow gold turn my ears black. My ears are black every time I wear this particular pair of earrings. It has never happened with my other gold pieces. My guess would be that the gold alloy has some other metal that is reacting with the skin but I never investigated. I bought the earrings from a reputable seller so I hope they weren't selling fool's gold.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Baby Monster:
Yes, that must be it, whatever the gold is mixed with is reacting with my skin. I have never had gold tarnish on me like this.
I'm just amazed and disappointed. I think I'll purchase an 18K chain, perhaps I'll have better luck with that. I don't think I'll have any problem returning the 14K chain, it's just aggravating and a hassle. I have plenty of box chains that I can use until I get a replacement.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would've returned the earrings too had I not the design and the stones so much. So I just wash off my ears after I wear them :wink2:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
then is a long drawn out explanation for this but basically its not the gold but the alloys(usually copper) that are reacting with your skin and other things that are in your skins moisture or you are perspiring. Some things that are creating a chemical reaction that cause a black,brown or greenish smudge on your skin are lotions with zinc oxide,perfume,hairspray,and the things you eat with high acids...coffee,tea,orange juice and tomato juice or pasta are big culprits,lemons and limes.also medications and being pregnant change body chemistry as well as swimming pool water.not all gold jewelry is affected that a person my wear,but its how the piece is manufactured or alloyed.18KARAT is usaully not affected because its 75% gold content.cleaning a piece before wearing can help.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
jewelerman|1303109351|2898944 said:
then is a long drawn out explanation for this but basically its not the gold but the alloys(usually copper) that are reacting with your skin and other things that are in your skins moisture or you are perspiring. Some things that are creating a chemical reaction that cause a black,brown or greenish smudge on your skin are lotions with zinc oxide,perfume,hairspray,and the things you eat with high acids...coffee,tea,orange juice and tomato juice or pasta are big culprits,lemons and limes.also medications and being pregnant change body chemistry as well as swimming pool water.not all gold jewelry is affected that a person my wear,but its how the piece is manufactured or alloyed.18KARAT is usaully not affected because its 75% gold content.cleaning a piece before wearing can help.

Thank you Jewelerman for the explanation.
I did return the 14K YG chain and ordered (from a different company) an 18K YG italian gold chain and I do not have any problem with the new chain in the higher 18K gold .

I noticed when I got the 14K YG chain that it was unusually yellow, it did not match my other gold jewelry.
The new 18K YG chain is just perfectly lovely, and no problems with it have manifested at all.

Thanks!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
The reason the 14 kt. chain was unusually yellow is that many chain manufacturers around the world put a 24kt. plating on their 14kt. chains to give it brightness and appeal to a wider audience.The problem is that when a chain is worn over timer or buffed the chains real color is exposed and the owner thinks something is wrong with the chain.also many people who are more familiar with 10 and 14 kt. colors for their fine jewelry think 24 kt. jewelry looks like costume jewelry because costume jewelry company s use a brightly colored fake gold or high kt. plating and so people associate a bright yellow color with costume jewelry in some countries.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
jewelerman|1303403073|2901901 said:
The reason the 14 kt. chain was unusually yellow is that many chain manufacturers around the world put a 24kt. plating on their 14kt. chains to give it brightness and appeal to a wider audience.The problem is that when a chain is worn over timer or buffed the chains real color is exposed and the owner thinks something is wrong with the chain.also many people who are more familiar with 10 and 14 kt. colors for their fine jewelry think 24 kt. jewelry looks like costume jewelry because costume jewelry company s use a brightly colored fake gold or high kt. plating and so people associate a bright yellow color with costume jewelry in some countries.

How interesting!
You are correct, I didn't care for the bright yellow color of the 14K YG chain. The 18K YG italian gold chain has a warmer gold color to it, still yellow, but not such a bright yellow. I did think the 14K YG chain looked fake, reminded me of vermeil costume jewelry. I associated the yellower color with it looking like cheap jewelry.

Thank you for the explanation, you taught me something new today! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results